Live Rosin Questions

• Thread starter dab science
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dab science

The way I look at it is there are 2 main variations in techs that I am currently unsure of first is if I press super low temps so the product comes out runny but is a beautiful color would it be good to give it a cure time to stable it up .... second I have done some stuff and pulled it a abunch then
I let it sit for a week and it waxed up to a lighter color (it was a kief run) ended up looking like full melt so my question here is what temperature do I have to keep my oil to make it wax up and what temp to achieve no change

souf69

souf69

The way I look at it is there are 2 main variations in techs that I am currently unsure of first is if I press super low temps so the product comes out runny but is a beautiful color would it be good to give it a cure time to stable it up .... second I have done some stuff and pulled it a abunch then
I let it sit for a week and it waxed up to a lighter color (it was a kief run) ended up looking like full melt so my question here is what temperature do I have to keep my oil to make it wax up and what temp to achieve no change
Lets keep in mind that rosin is more of a decarbed full melt kief, nothing more. Rosin is not stable for more than a week or so ime. I dont believe there is a way to reverse this, maybe someone else will chime in.

D

dab science

Lets keep in mind that rosin is more of a decarbed full melt kief, nothing more. Rosin is not stable for more than a week or so ime. I dont believe there is a way to reverse this, maybe someone else will chime in.
I do know of a dispensary that keeps there oil in a mini fridge but I dunno if thats unnecessary or not I have noticed if I keep the full melt looking stuff in my pocket all day it sweats and becomes less stable and even if I freeze it it dosent stable back up

NugMountain

NugMountain

Good ?..…im almost ready to do alot of testing. I love Roz , not only for solventless factor; but also because you can handle without it getting stuck everywhere.... I have put some In parchment and put in my pocket and worked all day and it was a hot day. Even w my body temp and 90 degree weather it did not ooze out of parchment . Wat I did notice is the consistency changed some after a few days and became more sticky and harder to handle w out a dab tool....

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Trying to make rosin with fresh buds, frozen or not will not work to well. Theres to much water still in the product. Maybe if you could speed up the drying cycle somehow with nitrogen it could work, but most likely still have issues. As far as temps and pressure, keep this in mind. More pressure needs less heat, or you will scorch your product. If you dont have enough pressure well that means you need more heat, however higher heat can lead to scorching of your product. Anything you see that has a dark resemblence is most likely scorched and probably has a scorched after taste. Anything above 200 and more press time is risky. My press is capable of pressing 12 tons consistantly, and i notice flowers press best at 7 to 9 tons. Also my temps are spot on. I press at 176 degrees, just above most terps boiling points.

Science is your friend when dealing with steam distillation. Great post.

I am going to try 176 today. Yesterday I was very happy at 190 for flowers.

What temp you running kief at? I started at 180, and worked my way down 5 degrees every press. Ended up at 150, and didn't reach the bottom yet imo.

Do you worry about RH? I keep all my flowers/kief at exactly 60% RH before the squish. The higher the RH, the higher the temps have to be. So 176 at 50% RH might be a similar extraction as 190 at 60% RH. You follow?

souf69

souf69

What temp you running kief at? I started at 180, and worked my way down 5 degrees every press. Ended up at 150, and didn't reach the bottom yet imo.

Do you worry about RH? I keep all my flowers/kief at exactly 60% RH before the squish. The higher the RH, the higher the temps have to be. So 176 at 50% RH might be a similar extraction as 190 at 60% RH. You follow?
Room humidity helps a little, i find that a slightly warmer room with close to the same humidity as you have setup. Your humidity seems good. I normally run kief with my wifes hair straightener and a non bleached coffee filter. My big press doesnt yield as well with kief, so i run mainly flower with it. If you press with a hair straightener and it comes out close to clear colors, then you have made straight fire for sure. I normally dont check temps on the straightener because i start with it cold, then press until i hear crackles for ten seconds or so, then i turn it off and continue a mild squeeze.

D

dab science

I guess the most terpy profile is achievable if you partially cure your buds I notice when I cure my buds about 5 days in I can smell the bud more than when its fresh or when its fully dry im guessing that during the end of your cure you start to have alot of the terps dry up and evaporiate just my observation

D

dab science

Ive also noticed different strains like to be squished at slightly different temps within 20 degrees f to achieve the same results

D

dab science

Ive heard if you have high humidity in the air your oil will absorb some of it as it cools ....I personally havent had any issues with it at least i dont think I have if I am maybee its affecting my stability in the long run? But im really not sure

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I keep the flowers at 60% RH. I like to press in a room that is dry and cold. My emerald cup entry I liked the most I hand pumped my press at night so I could get the cold temps. 38 degrees when I pressed my last squish. I figure the heat only needs to be applied while pushing out the material. After that, it's cold temps followed by a cold press in the freezer ASAP.

NugMountain

NugMountain

Yep I follow. Its the rain season for me and I'm far from finished w insulating my home and keeping consistent temp and rh. Thus I have my equipment set up in a bus. I turn on the bus, and control the atmosphere while I work. It's a retired city bus and does better than I expected with gas consumption at idle. My tumbler is built w 12 v motor. My heat plates run off inverter . W some quick preliminary presses I did 180 w 20 ton of pressure, but that was w bubble. I also do a second press run at 210, comes out darker but taste lovely as well.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Post pics of the tumbler. Or better yet, make a kief tumbler extraction thread. There's a few who use them. I'm tired of shaking a 5gal bucket with xxlb trim, and xx amount of dry ice. Arms get tired after a bit.

About to blast off with some gg4 flower rosin. Turned on the press just for some personal night dabbing. 3.5g in, 1.5 out. Cured flower (top) for 7 weeks. My personal nugget.

NugMountain

NugMountain

Trying....got photos edited down to acceptable size...still having difficulty...using my droid but don't think that's the issue...hope to figure it out

NugMountain

NugMountain

My inverter blew fuses on my bus lab today. I was bummed because I wanted to take pics of new production. But your message made me remember about Roz I made over 3 months ago. It was when I first got my press but it was sitting outside , and I was working on deciding what infrastructure to build for my lab, I was too excited not to test it out so I ran a extension cord from a generator and pressed this literally outdoors in the sun. I still had some stashed away in a cabinet in a trailer which the environment is not controlled. Been hot as 95 in there as cold as below freezing sitting in parchment but no bag or container for protection. . . It has been out of direct sunlight however. Not sure what u mean by "stable", however these are pics of it on parchment, then I dabbed it on my finger and then rolled it up w my fingers , the only pic I didn't take was me smoking it. Still fulllll melt and full of taste ...

IMG 20161122 230442
IMG 20161122 230558
IMG 20161122 230650
NugMountain

NugMountain

Oh forgot to mention it came completely off my finger, so well that I was able to type these messages on my droid and left no residue on screen . I did not have to wash my hand at all

D

dab science

I just checked on some kief stuff I made 2 weeks ago and its still stable it has been in a Ziploc in a dresser in the dark at normal fall room temp ..... also I checked on the amber see through bud run stuff i had made a weekish ago and it is no longer see through its still ambet but it is foggy now im starting to think oxygen and possibly heat is whats unstablelizeing and fogging up my oil

Top Bottom