• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockebox

Lockebox

Who are you and how did you get here 👀
IMG 20230117 180711309

sambapati

sambapati

Pulled the trigger on some cloning gear this afternoon.
I figure I'll take all my cuts about 3 or 4 days before the move. That way I can just put the dome safely in the passenger seat or floorboard and easily transport all of them in the dome vs Individual containers.
Not sure how the rooting process will go, but I figure moving the whole dome wouldnt disturb too much? Idk, hoping for the best haha.

I will say I was surprised at the price of domes, I expected slightly cheaper lol. The AC infinity one I chose was actually one of the cheaper that I saw and I expect it to be good quality so I'm cool with it

View attachment 1320439
Aloe plants can double ss rooting gel and FREE

Lockebox

Lockebox

Don’t feel like you need or should stop, it’s your journal and it’s yours to document bro!! I love seeing the progression and it’s looking amazing!!
Hell yeah bro thanks! I've noticed something funny, with every grow I'm so excited with vegging plants and want to post pictures of them everyday to show their growth. but once they start flowering my interest slacks off 🤣

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Yeah I've heard a lot of good about aloe! Both fresh aloe from a plant and freeze dried aloe from someone like build a soil, I would like to try it but if I do get rooting gel I think clonex is easier and cheaper for me. Plus my unofficial mentor said he uses clonex and I'm copying that dude 🤣
most any rooting gel is going to deliver quicker and better results than aloe

Lockebox

Lockebox

most any rooting gel is going to deliver quicker and better results than aloe
Hell yeah awesome to hear! Clonex is definitely the route I'll go, it may not be natural but what's important to me is that it works haha! Swinging by the grow store after work, maybe just maybe they'll have some decent priced clonex. Ownership change recently kinda screwed everything up there..

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you are looking for a natural rooting idea and if you can source a weeping willow branches. Cut the tips off and soak them in water. The tips of the braches is where most of the two hormones will be. Cut like 20 1" tips and put them in water for a few weeks. I guess any willow would work and not just weeping.
If you want a gel you could mix the water with cornstarch.

Lockebox

Lockebox

If you are looking for a natural rooting idea and if you can source a weeping willow branches. Cut the tips off and soak them in water. The tips of the braches is where most of the two hormones will be. Cut like 20 1" tips and put them in water for a few weeks. I guess any willow would work and not just weeping.
Hell yeah dude that is so cool thank you! I'd be lying if I said I knew where any willow trees are but I will definitely remember that for the future when I'm more established and know what I'm doing more lol.
You may know, is the same thing true for dandelion roots? I read somewhere a long time ago you can uproot little dandelions and soak their roots in water to get the hormones and auxins to promote rooting. I doubt it's true but someone said you could root a fan leaf using dandelion root hormones hahah

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have heard people taking dandelion to detoxify their body of estrogen or something (maybe the opposite) but I haven't heard it being used for a rooting mix. Not that that means it wont work.
Before wasting time though, you may want to read this. I think the author is correct in that most plants don't need hormones to root and just clean medium.

"For herbaceous and softwood cuttings, commercial IBA rooting hormone is applied in concentrations of 500-1,500 ppm. Rates between 1,000 and 5,000 ppm are used for semi-hardwood cuttings and 10,000 ppm is used for hardwood cuttings."

Lockebox

Lockebox

I have heard people taking dandelion to detoxify their body of estrogen or something (maybe the opposite) but I haven't heard it being used for a rooting mix. Not that that means it wont work.
Before wasting time though, you may want to read this. I think the author is correct in that most plants don't need hormones to root and just clean medium.

"For herbaceous and softwood cuttings, commercial IBA rooting hormone is applied in concentrations of 500-1,500 ppm. Rates between 1,000 and 5,000 ppm are used for semi-hardwood cuttings and 10,000 ppm is used for hardwood cuttings."

Hahaha well, I suppose I'll let my plants keep the estrogen they've got 🤣
Awesome thanks for the share! I will read through it on one of my breaks today and see what's up.
I have Heard lots of people say they never use any rooting gel or anything and they get great results. That was my original plan, just take healthy cuts from healthy plants and hope they root.
However, my plan is to turn all the plans into nothing but an army of clones when I move so if they don't root I'm screwed lol.
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world having to start over, but this is a fun adventure and I'm attached to the genetics

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have had very good luck just rooting cannabis in moist warm sand. Play sand works fine just don't water log it too much and cover it with plastic. Some strains can be more difficult than others though, so maybe a $10 root hormone isnt the worst investment

sambapati

sambapati

Tip of the hat answer and jibes with willow's medicinal powers. Can I show off my PNG / Kashmir? Long thin leaves are enjoying 12/12 time. She is biggest gal of the bunch.

20230118 141804
20230118 141801
20230118 141756
Lockebox

Lockebox

Tip of the hat answer and jibes with willow's medicinal powers. Can I show off my PNG / Kashmir? Long thin leaves are enjoying 12/12 time. She is biggest gal of the bunch.
Hell yeah, she's looking great! I'm excited to see what she does. I'm sitting on my png x Kashmir beans with much excitement

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Very cool that willow trees are pretty much filled with rooting hormones, I had no idea. Reading that article makes it seem like it's not great to use as a rooting water/gel vs an IBA rooting gel. Seems like the concentration of the rooting hormones from the willow tree aren't strong enough to make a difference.

A product I'm liking a lot is Azos from Xtreme Gardening. I haven't tried it yet for rooting clones without the Clonex IBA gel, but there is science to support it will help promote root growth for clones by itself. It certainly makes a noticeable difference when you feed the plants with it. The bacteria in Azos helps make nitrogen from the air plant available by converting it to ammonia (air is about 80% N) and promotes IAA hormone production to help produce roots, pretty cool if you ask me.

Excerpt taken from this article for those interested in learning a little science.

"Auxin is a plant hormone that aids in the initiation of adventitious roots. Indole acetic acid (IAA) is the naturally occurring auxin found in plants. IAA is involved in nearly every aspect of plant growth and development."

Lockebox

Lockebox

Very cool that willow trees are pretty much filled with rooting hormones, I had no idea. Reading that article makes it seem like it's not great to use as a rooting water/gel vs an IBA rooting gel. Seems like the concentration of the rooting hormones from the willow tree aren't strong enough to make a difference.

A product I'm liking a lot is Azos from Xtreme Gardening. I haven't tried it yet for rooting clones without the Clonex IBA gel, but there is science to support it will help promote root growth for clones by itself. It certainly makes a noticeable difference when you feed the plants with it. The bacteria in Azos helps make nitrogen from the air plant available by converting it to ammonia (air is about 80% N) and promotes IAA hormone production to help produce roots, pretty cool if you ask me.

Excerpt taken from this article for those interested in learning a little science.

"Auxin is a plant hormone that aids in the initiation of adventitious roots. Indole acetic acid (IAA) is the naturally occurring auxin found in plants. IAA is involved in nearly every aspect of plant growth and development."
Hell yeah I've got a sample pack of the extreme gardening azos I've been holding on to until the time is right. Kind of off topic, but an extreme gardening product I have my eye on is the versity bacillus blend!

Back to the conversation at hand with rooting, I'm going to stick with the clonex for now just to be safe. But I'm definitely going to dive deep into all this information y'all are sharing, thank you guys!

Top Bottom