LOG - 1th week - Newbie from Portugal

• Thread starter freddykat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freddykat

freddykat

Hello everybody,
Hope all of you have good smoke.
I'm starting growing MJ for the first time in my life, and now a few doubts have raised.
I've put the seeds in a jar of water for 24h and after that I've moved them to my soil medium in this case is a Biobizz Allmix.
So the adventure have started with the jar of water at April 27th and was moved to soil at may 1st.

So 6 days have passed and from the 2 seeds I've tried to germinate, one of them is still underground the other one is gaining is first 2 set of leaves.
Currently I'm using a 2* 20w CFL inside a plastic box, and put on my 3D printer heated bed in order to increase temp and hum inside my nursery.
My reflector is a DIY one, built with some cardboard and Aluminum foil. Ok, i know its not a perfect approach but was build with things I've got in home, with 0usd/eur investment.
Now my doubt what is the right distance from CFL's to the seedlings? They are about 10cm/4 inches from the top of the plant.
Can i use 4* 20w CFL (cold white / cold daylight)?
I've uploaded 2 images taken this morning for you guys to evaluate.
Advices are welcome.

Log   1th week   newbie from portugal
Log   1th week   newbie from portugal 2
zzzybil

zzzybil

i'd think you'll cook or smother it . Seems like inside soooooo? then again gotta keep them babies toes warm........ blow some air at it - makes'm stronger . I love'm to death too often............ gOOd luck !!

Reactions: Ina
freddykat

freddykat

i'd think you'll cook or smother it . Seems like inside soooooo? then again gotta keep them babies toes warm........ blow some air at it - makes'm stronger . I love'm to death too often............ gOOd luck !!

The thing is that 2 seeds was puted in water at same time.
One is open but only has 3 leaves ?!?! One of the not serrated ones is fryed from the moment they got out of the soil so was not not due to light i guess....
IMG 1801

The other is fairly behind not got from soil in 15 days.

Small Update: I´ve changed this morning the CFL that i was using with it. Now i have 2x 36w CFL inside the mini grow box.

IMG 1802

IMG 1805

freddykat

freddykat

Also i did install a small pc fan in order to move some air inside
IMG 1806

Reactions: Ina
Ina

Ina

Also be carefull with the watering,on the pic the soil looks really wet.You could let them dry a little more before next watering.More air would be good,there is no need for them to be too heated.PC fan is good improvement:).Even if you just put them under that reflector without the box they will be fine:)Or you could keep it more open.For now these bulbs are enough for the babies,you can keep them really close but it depends on the air circulation and temp...…

freddykat

freddykat

Also be carefull with the watering,on the pic the soil looks really wet.You could let them dry a little more before next watering.More air would be good,there is no need for them to be too heated.PC fan is good improvement:).Even if you just put them under that reflector without the box they will be fine:)Or you could keep it more open.For now these bulbs are enough for the babies,you can keep them really close but it depends on the air circulation and temp...…

Maybe my MH/HPS kit + tent arrives today, they will be moved inside of the tent.
Maybe will just put that DIY refletor from the ceiling of the tent and take them out of the transparent box.
Will stop wattering for 2/3 days, but maybe the right approach is the temp and hum sensor on the vase??

freddykat

freddykat

So, indeed i dont have a Temp/hum soil sensor ( I´ve bought one to plug in my arduino).
Whats the optimum rate of temp/hum on the soil?

Do advice put some Silica to dry the soil a bit faster?

freddykat

freddykat

So, indeed i dont have a Temp/hum soil sensor ( I´ve bought one to plug in my arduino).
Whats the optimum rate of temp/hum on the soil?

Do advice put some Silica to dry the soil a bit faster?

When i say silica i mean nearby not in the vase itself... kkkk

freddykat

freddykat

Well, Nice updates
My tent arrived yesterday. Its a 1*1*2mt tent.... and its bigger than I expected... :D:D
IMG 1809

Now I have a 400w HPS and 64w of CFL.
IMG 1811

Will improve the CFL has i bought 2 more 32w CFL so will be a total of 128w @ CFL + a odor sock that tent seller offered me.
IMG 1814

Also i did buy a thermometer/higrometer.
Temps ~27,5Âşc
Hum: ~57%

IMG 1810

IMG 1812

IMG 1813

The seedling is looking more greener, you guys advice on buy onother temp/hum sensor and stick it to the soil to have soil temp and hum?

freddykat

freddykat

Update:
This is day 11 since they have been putted to soil.
IMG 1820

One of them is showing great progress. The other haven't got out of soil.
IMG 1821

IMG 1822

Also I made a DIY reflector for the CFL using some inox exaust piping, open in half.
Some L shape brackets and ceramic bulb holders.
The only thing myssing is some reflective foil. For the first days will stick to put some kitchen aluminum foil, as it does reflect a bit.
Also I have a few meters of RGBW 2w LED strip laying around and maybe will add them to the reflector. Using Blue + White for now and RED + White later on before I turn on my 400W HPS.

This is where the project is now.

This reflector have 2x 50W CFL (100W) :)
IMG 1823

This afternoon will adapt to put the other 4x 36W CFL that I have on my carboard :) reflector in the new reflector in orde to have a wooping 244W CFL @ 6700ÂşK and will add plus one bulb but this one a 25W CFL @ 2700ÂşK

The total will be: 269W CFL dual spectrum.
What do you guys think about buy a UV CFL bulb and a IR one?

My long term goal is to buy a BESTVA 2000W Full Spectrum LED.

IMG 1824
Spelczk

Spelczk

Hi Freddy, you have a very good setup. You have done lots of homework to get this far. I have been growing 1 year.
I think the sees which has not shown is dead. Carefully remove some soil and check. They have been too long without breaking the surface.
I only use LEDS & Quantum boards so cannot advise on lights.
You do not need a meter to read soil temperature. Your tent is quite hot (29.0c) but that is probably your lights. As the plant gets bigger you will move the light further away from the plant and that with good extraction will help bring own. Happy growing!

freddykat

freddykat

Said and DONE

6 Bulb reflector with 2* 50W + 4* 36W

IMG 1827

IMG 1826
IMG 1825

Also, have added a PC fan for stimulating the plant.

IMG 1828

Hi Freddy, you have a very good setup. You have done lots of homework to get this far. I have been growing 1 year.
I think the sees which has not shown is dead. Carefully remove some soil and check. They have been too long without breaking the surface.
I only use LEDS & Quantum boards so cannot advise on lights.
You do not need a meter to read soil temperature. Your tent is quite hot (29.0c) but that is probably your lights. As the plant gets bigger you will move the light further away from the plant and that with good extraction will help bring own. Happy growing!

The tent are in fact more close to 24Âşc than the 28Âşc that reads.
You may noticed that i have the sensor just at the same height as the plant to read what the plant is feeling.

Spelczk

Spelczk

Ola F, forgot to ask what strain is it? Obrigado.
That's all of my Portuguese!

Last edited:
freddykat

freddykat

Ola F, forgot to ask what strain is it? Obrigado.
That's all of my Portuguese!

Its a super skunk autoflower by sensi seeds from Nederlands.
It's ok I get most of English natives don't speak Portuguese. 5* for your effort. :)
Hope you learn the REAL Portuguese that is what is spoken in Portugal not that weird variant the speak the other side of the pond on Brazil..... In case you want to visit Porto you are welcome at my place.

Now it has passed like 10 hours since I put the new High Power CFL Reflector.
In 10 hours I notice clear changes in the size of the plant. Now I'm getting very happy and driven to grow.
IMG 1830
IMG 1831
IMG 1832

How about 1500W Led BestVA?

BestVA LED Grow

Can you give some insight into it? Does it do the job and decrease energy bill? Could it be better since a 1500W could substitute a regular 800W HPS/MH? Since 1mt x 1mt needs a 400W HPS the 1500W should double the light needed for the same space and still spare money on the electricity.
Hope to hear from you.

Last edited:
Spelczk

Spelczk

F,

Lights start arguments on forums all the time.
Forget ANYONE who tells you what light you should get (including me). Use information to make your own mind up. Do your research it will be worth it.
Bestva 1500w has an actual power draw of only 280w . I think it is a cheap unit and will be hot, heavy and noisy.
Units with 10w diodes are usually in the poor section of LEDS.

I do not know what is more efficient. I have only ran LEDs & quantum boards so I cannot make a comparison.
Maybe some else?

Technicallly a 300w (actual draw) full spectrum led is good for 1-1.5 sq m. But I think you should look for a better quality unit than bestva.

I got a great results from 1 x 200w & 1 x 300w actual draw full spectrum leds. Good yield & bud sizes. RQS & in house genetics

Last edited:
freddykat

freddykat

F,

Lights start arguments on forums all the time.
Forget ANYONE who tells you what light you should get (including me). Use information to make your own mind up. Do your research it will be worth it.
Bestva 1500w has an actual power draw of only 280w . I think it is a cheap unit and will be hot, heavy and noisy.
Units with 10w diodes are usually in the poor section of LEDS.

I do not know what is more efficient. I have only ran LEDs & quantum boards so I cannot make a comparison.
Maybe some else?

Technicallly a 300w (actual draw) full spectrum led is good for 1-1.5 sq m. But I think you should look for a better quality unit than bestva.

I got a great results from 1 x 200w & 1 x 300w actual draw full spectrum leds. Good yield & bud sizes. RQS & in house genetics

Could you share your light link?
I'm very handy with soldering irons and PCB skills.
Could you help me design a 1500W Full spectrum Light.
Maybe search for30x 50w COB full Spectrum LED?
led cob link

Since you're the only replying hope hear from you.

Last edited:
Spelczk

Spelczk

Could you share your light link?
I'm very handy with soldering irons and PCB skills.
Could you help me design a 1500W Full spectrum Light.
Maybe search for30x 50w COB full Spectrum LED?
led cob link

Since you're the only replying hope hear from you.

@1diesel1 hi there, me and Freddy are new to the farm can you direct him to a diy cob light post/thread here at the farm? Many thanks!

Spelczk

Spelczk

Thank you 1D,
F if you scroll down that link
I read...Best Diy Cob For Spacebucket Brute?

CrimsonEcho (seems sensible) goes into detail on cree vs vero chips and had obviously done a good bit of research.
Good place to start looking. Start but p
icking your chip and it will be easier to select components.
S

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Another member that used to hang here is @sixstring he has a awesome thread on led lighting diy led guru. I don't remember the thread title. See if you can find it or maybe @1diesel1 can locate it for ya and post a link.

Latest posts

Top Bottom