Long Stem Help

• Thread starter KaylasKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Hi,

I'm a first time grower and was growing my seedlings on a windowsill, not knowing that a long stem is actually a problem. On another forum I was told to transplant and bury the stem but as I've transplanted recently I don't want to move them around again, considering they're only 2-3 weeks old.
I know it's searching for more light so I've put my fluorescent photography light over them to stop the growth a bit and begin forming more leaves. It's going to be an outside grow once they're ready to start hardening off.

Since I was told the stem of the plant won't hold the weight I'm thinking of transplanting again in about 2 weeks, and THEN covering some of the stem.

My question is, is this okay to do? Is waiting going to cause any problems?
Durban Poison is also naturally a very tall plant so I was just thinking "this is normal" in the beginning.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Long stem help
Long stem help 2
Long stem help 3
BudBogart

BudBogart

I don't like covering stem with soil. In my experience it slows the growth at this critical stage. I merely stake mine up with whatever is handy like sticks, plant stakes, etc.
They will grow fatter in time, don't we all.
Moving the light source closer like you said is also the right thing to do. Good luck.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

I don't like covering stem with soil. In my experience it slows the growth at this critical stage. I merely stake mine up with whatever is handy like sticks, plant stakes, etc.
They will grow fatter in time, don't we all.
Moving the light source closer like you said is also the right thing to do. Good luck.

Thank you so much. People are stressing me out with the "that looks effed up" and "no you need to cover them or the weight will make them lanky". I get that I've done it wrong to begin with but there's still a chance for them.
I have a good breeze on them too which will hopefully strengthen the stem up.

Thanks again, really appreciate it. I feel a bit better about it now. I might just prop them up then. And if I see them dropping too much I'll just transplant again and cover a bit of the stem.

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Put a fan blowing gently over the tops of them until they just start to dance. The waving back and forth of the stems will strengthen and fatten the stems, just dont blow too hard or youll bend them over.

They're by the garden door which is always open so they already have a good breeze going. But it's not a consistent breeze so maybe I should put a fan on it as well.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You can fill the pots they are in to the top. That will give a little more support and force a larger rootball to grow.

I always top fill every one. Really helps make a stronger plant. They always seem so happy with the new soil around them.

Plus they got a long way to go before they outgrow those pots. Let them have a good dry cycle and the roots will search all around the pot.

Hope this helps.

fatawa

fatawa

id def transplant n bury to the round leaves...im actually surprised there still standing

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

If your going to transplant again def wait a lil bit I have done same thing and Iv burried the stem and Iv also just put a lil steak to keep it straight still plenty of time to turn it into a high yielding bush don't worry good vibes coming :)

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

You can fill the pots they are in to the top. That will give a little more support and force a larger rootball to grow.

I always top fill every one. Really helps make a stronger plant. They always seem so happy with the new soil around them.

Plus they got a long way to go before they outgrow those pots. Let them have a good dry cycle and the roots will search all around the pot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks :) I'll add soil all the way to the top tomorrow for extra support then.

Yes they will be in these pots for a while, however I may deepen the stem in a week using the same pot, by taking it out and removing some more soil underneath, we'll see.

Thanks for your advice! Have a lovely day~

Last edited:
KaylasKush

KaylasKush

If your going to transplant again def wait a lil bit I have done same thing and Iv burried the stem and Iv also just put a lil steak to keep it straight still plenty of time to turn it into a high yielding bush don't worry good vibes coming :)

Thanks! Still got hope in them.
Wishing you luck with yours and sending good vibes your way :)

Dan789

Dan789

This is the toughest time at the begining, hoping they'll make it. Though looks like your off to a good start and definitely better to ask questions before getting into a problem. Keep us posted with your progress.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks :) I'll add soil all the way to the top tomorrow for extra support then.

Yes they will be in these pots for a while, however I may deepen the stem in a week using the same pot, by taking it out and removing some more soil underneath, we'll see.

Thanks for your advice! Have a lovely day~

Don't water them in until the soil they are in is pretty dry. But you can still put the soil on top. It will actually help dry them out by sucking up some of the moisture.

Other than that I just use pipe cleaners or paper clips bent into a support. But when they stretch like that they just want more light.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I need to build a prop box, I usually have 2 or 3 foot tall plants taking up most of the close up light in my veg tent.
I bury mine up to the cotys and they stretch right back out.

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Cut a draw down the middle so you can open it up.a bit and place it around the stem and push it into the soil a bit. Should hold em.up. Also need closer light

KaylasKush

KaylasKush

Hey guys, thanks so much for all your help. Everyone's so nice and I really appreciate it.

I've now filled soil all the way to the top of the pot and am transplanting deeper this upcoming Friday so that the stem is much shorter.
My LED has come and I'm placing it about 30cm away from the plants. Is this okay?
I'm truly a dumbass when it comes to light and wattage and things. A YouTube video was going into details such as PAR and I just clicked out because I'm someone who needs stuff explained as simply as possible. I also have a budget and am not buying a PAR meter.
My question is, is this one LED okay? It gives off a very strong light and my dad is saying it's enough, whereas I'm thinking not even 2 of them is enough because I see people with loads of LED's on top of their plants.
(We made our own lamp shade with foil to reflect that's why it may look odd). Also those last pictures are not where the light is going to be, it's just to show an idea of how bright the light is.

Thank you for anyone who can give me info on this. Google doesn't give much :)

P.S. Please remember this is going to be an outdoor grow, I won't have this light on them for their whole life.

IMG 1863
IMG 1867
IMG 1873
IMG 1878
IMG 1880
GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hey guys, thanks so much for all your help. Everyone's so nice and I really appreciate it.

I've now filled soil all the way to the top of the pot and am transplanting deeper this upcoming Friday so that the stem is much shorter.
My LED has come and I'm placing it about 30cm away from the plants. Is this okay?
I'm truly a dumbass when it comes to light and wattage and things. A YouTube video was going into details such as PAR and I just clicked out because I'm someone who needs stuff explained as simply as possible. I also have a budget and am not buying a PAR meter.
My question is, is this one LED okay? It gives off a very strong light and my dad is saying it's enough, whereas I'm thinking not even 2 of them is enough because I see people with loads of LED's on top of their plants.
(We made our own lamp shade with foil to reflect that's why it may look odd). Also those last pictures are not where the light is going to be, it's just to show an idea of how bright the light is.

Thank you for anyone who can give me info on this. Google doesn't give much :)

P.S. Please remember this is going to be an outdoor grow, I won't have this light on them for their whole life.

You will be fine :) yes that light should b plenty for those lil ones for now. Don't worry to much about Par and all that jazz sometimes we can over think things :) that hood you made tho won't cover the plants completely right? As the plant will need air and the foil will trapt heat and focus it on the plants which could be a lil harsh. You are doing great! I can tell you are eager to learn and that trait alone will keep you on the right path. The pic I sent I had all those young ladies under one LED for the beginning of there life :) just FYI

IMG 6575
KaylasKush

KaylasKush

You will be fine :) yes that light should b plenty for those lil ones for now. Don't worry to much about Par and all that jazz sometimes we can over think things :) that hood you made tho won't cover the plants completely right? As the plant will need air and the foil will trapt heat and focus it on the plants which could be a lil harsh. You are doing great! I can tell you are eager to learn and that trait alone will keep you on the right path. The pic I sent I had all those young ladies under one LED for the beginning of there life :) just FYI

This was so helpful! Thank you. Especially the picture. I'm inspired to see mine get to that stage. Good luck and keep me posted :)
Also glad someone else only used 1 LED. I've seen so many people with a bunch of lights above. Though I suppose they have more than 3 plants growing.

I've set it all up now and that is how far I've placed the LED. I think it's about right. Also got a fan on them so they're dancing a little bit in order to strengthen the stem.
My dad has helped me make it adjustable so if I see that the stem is growing more towards the light I will bring it down. And if I see it may be too much (apparently light burn only shows late though), then obviously I will move it up.

Once again thanks for the info! Not sure what I'd do without fellow growers advising me.

IMG 1884
IMG 1887
IMG 1888
Top Bottom