Long Term Storage Of Cured Buds.

• Thread starter MtnDawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MtnDawg

MtnDawg

I've read a few threads about this, but haven't seen this as a suggested approach so I thought I'd ask...

It seems to me that the two things you want to slow down during long term storage are oxidation and boiling off of VOCs. Given that, wouldn't storing in an inert gas (no oxidizing) under pressure (raising the boiling point of the VOCs) be the optimal way to package cured material for long term storage?

Has anyone tried this? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I've read a few threads about this, but haven't seen this as a suggested approach so I thought I'd ask...

It seems to me that the two things you want to slow down during long term storage are oxidation and boiling off of VOCs. Given that, wouldn't storing in an inert gas (no oxidizing) under pressure (raising the boiling point of the VOCs) be the optimal way to package cured material for long term storage?

**EDIT** IGNORE THE FOLLOWING, I MISREAD YOUR POST....
The process of heating the product would deteirate the potency considerably.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

You mean a la nitrogen packing/storage? Yes, I believe there are those who do this, but I also understand that the equipment used to replace air with N is rather expensive. It is said to stop all oxidization.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Ive purchased tons of herb thats been nitro.sealed and seen it turn brown overnight. Fresh as fuck when i.checked it. Also seen it work ok maybe a user error. I wont fuck.with it. Grow the dank and network

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ive purchased tons of herb thats been nitro.sealed and seen it turn brown overnight. Fresh as fuck when i.checked it. Also seen it work ok maybe a user error. I wont fuck.with it. Grow the dank and network
This catches my attention, because I've never had or even seen herb that I knew was packaged using N replacement. I find myself wondering why the N would turn it brown.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Thing is it wasnt brown it was perfect then overniggt looked old. Ive looked at lots of meds it was last years outdoor in spring summer type of deal

soserthc1

soserthc1

I work with nitrogen fed freezers that hold human cells at -195degrees can someone tell me what is done with these for cannabis or is it something similar or am I totally of base here
Forgive my ignorance ( are these freezers similar to what green dot uses )
Tia

MtnDawg

MtnDawg

So, I'm gathering that there isn't much experience storing with an inert gas under pressure? Nitrogen replacement yes, but not at pressures above one atmosphere.

Here's my question again, phrased differently: "Have you tried storing weed using nitrogen at pressures significantly higher than sea level?"

Anyone?

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

No but following along if you try it. How high are you thinking? Do you have data on boiling points? Here's some on THC from Skunkpharm and Skyhighler (just for example, but opposite dynamic of course).

Thc boiling point of thc under vacuum

and this

Pressure at altitude 1 1

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

Regular nitro packing is as cheap as a tank, regulator, hose, and blow gun type valve. Preppers do it with mylar bags and buckets. Sucking most of the air out first with a mini-vac helps conserve gas.

Last edited:
MtnDawg

MtnDawg

I'm looking for the same info, except for terpenes, which boil at a much lower temp than does THC (which makes sense, otherwise weed wouldn't have any aroma at room temperature/sea level.)

Raising the boiling point to over 100F would be more than adequate. Then, storing at room temp would be plenty cold enough to preserve the terpenes... I think. How I could possibly quantify this escapes me, though. It makes sense in theory.

Dunge

Dunge

So, I'm gathering that there isn't much experience storing with an inert gas under pressure? Nitrogen replacement yes, but not at pressures above one atmosphere.

Here's my question again, phrased differently: "Have you tried storing weed using nitrogen at pressures significantly higher than sea level?"

Anyone?
Love the question as I wish to secure some herb in storage as well.
Mylar bags are in the mail and pulse seal heater ready to go.
I have argon from a welder, so that is the most inert gas I have.
Would CO2 work as well as nitrogen or argon?
My understanding is that any storage gas is intended to displace O2 by purge/dilution.
As to pressure improving storage?
How would that work?
Allowing the volatils to volatilize might be reduced, but not enough to be worth doing.
The low pressure warning is to avoid removing a fraction that you would prefer to leave in the product.

CO2 is cheeper, so is it inert enough to be a good storage gas?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Dunge -- I'm going to guess that because that carbon atom is attached to two oxygen atoms CO2 isn't quite inert. Not as N is inert. But, that's just a guess.

Anyone?
Ahhh... Gotcha. I know of no one who's tried or is doing such a thing. Sorry I can't be more helpful there.

parsnip

parsnip

I wouldn't store my gear more than a few months at most. Thc will mostly be cbn after a long time unless you know how to stop that

palmate

palmate

I know some dispensaries have their 'show' gear in glass jars but keep the majority of their stock sealed in nitrogen.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

K argon works but you can't use welding gas as its mixed with co2 you pure argon . Bye a c-vault there good for up to 6 mths with only a bit of color loss . Want better use argon to push out the oxygen then seal c-vault ( suggestion havn't tried it yet . The argon bit

pharmafarmer

pharmafarmer

Would you use argon instead of nitrogen? I believe is standard practice to use nitrogen to fill the gap of air in the top of the bottles of organic solvents because it doesn't react. Maybe that's why nitrogen is popular for weed?

Goodfuck

Top Bottom