Long time smoker, first time grower

• Thread starter HerbGardner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HerbGardner

Hi Farm, I'm just a nerd enjoying the end of prohibition and doing all the wrong things on purpose to get to know this unique plant.

Growing for cheap using sun, soil and compost, I'm getting some experience before putting real money on the line and having to follow the rules.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey man, Welcome to the farm. Growing is a lot like chess, you could experiment in the opening, but for best results use the tried and true methods.
good luck

E

Edinburg

Just get a good outside seed, start it in a solo cup, transplant into bigger and bigger pots as it grows till you get it in the size pot you want, put it outside when there is no chance of frost and then leave it alone, it may or may not grow nice, depending on what dirt you use and what if anything you feed it, anyone can grow weed, but you must do it properly to get best results.

H

HerbGardner

Welcome.

I'm a wealth of information about wrong things.
Haha excellent. What happens when you get bored and give up on a plant only to be confronted with a 7 foot (scraggly) monster next time you see her?
IMG 20230312 100451 887

I'm a bit overwhelmed - how many fan leaves should I take off? I read somewhere not to remove more than a third of a plant at a time, then wait a few days. Should I end up pruning all the fan leaves or let the plant take care of its own senescence and only remove dying leaves?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey man, Welcome to the farm. Growing is a lot like chess, you could experiment in the opening, but for best results use the tried and true methods.
good luck

Welcome to the farm, there's a lot of help here if you need it.....You're lucky to have weather you can plant outdoors in....I've still 6" snow although its been melting through the day....What part of the country / world you live in? cold north Atlantic for me in Canada

Do you want to play a game? I'm an avid chess player pushing 1550 at chess .com

Last edited:
H

HerbGardner

Welcome to the farm, there's a lot of help here if you need it.....You're lucky to have weather you can plant outdoors in....I've still 6" snow although its been melting through the day....What part of the country / world you live in? cold north Atlantic for me in Canada

Do you want to play a game? I'm an avid chess player pushing 1550 at chess .com
I'm living in Thailand where it's been legal for all of five minutes. A bunch of OG growers at masters at their craft but growing world class strains in the tropics comes with its own challenges. Really I'm looking for a plant that grows like a sativa and smokes like an indica.

Non-freezing winters are a definite plus, but less than ideal. I'm in the mountains so it got to 50 F at night then 95+ during the day.

For my first grow - after frying some indica seedlings - was Thai Stick and Durban Poison (indica pheno). My first microenvironment sucked and the plants got waterlogged and wind damaged with maybe 6 hours of direct sun per day. With beginners enthusiasm I transplanted them a few times before settling on a final home with maybe 9 hours of sun per day.

Since I was growing 12:12 from seed, the plants are about as forgiving as autos. After 30-40 days she'll start flowering whether you're ready or not. The biggest poison died just after she started flowering: ants seemed to have moved in as root rot got worse. So my first harvest was 0.5 grams. I showed mercy to the other poison, which I was growing in compacted soil as a control, transplanted it and hope to harvest 5 more grams in the mext few days.

On the other hand, the Thais can really handle a lot of abuse. It makes sense because they're from here. Also they stretch 2.5x which really helps for plants with such a short veg phase.

My next crop was (is) lemon hazes which grow like crazy in the hot sun so they're great for practicing some training techniques.

Now spring has sprung I've got some blue dreams that I popped two weeks ago. I didn't bother hardening them off but they don't seem to mind full sun. Sometimes the stem loses turgidity when it gets over 100f but those that wilted don't seem to be held back.

Here they are looking sad after a thunderstorm.

IMG 20230313 111604
IMG 20230313 111532
IMG 20230313 112907
IMG 20230313 112841

Top Bottom