Look @my leaves - tap H20 @372ppm

• Thread starter Darth Fader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Growing in coco. This is a Chemdog #4 ending wk 2 flower.
tap water = 372ppm. Feeding 6/9 (HG Flora Micro/Bloom) + Hygrozyme in wick system. Dropped CalMag last feeding, 3 days ago. Plant shows 1 leaf w/ rust spots & a few with a splotchy discoloration.

Plants have been problem-free for the most part.

rust spots:
http://farm5.static.invalid.com/4067/4354370015_44fa0b688d_o.jpg

spotchy color:
http://farm5.static.invalid.com/4041/4355114874_a1485e248c_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.invalid.com/2599/4355114946_9cd61384da_o.jpg

Please advise as I'm a newbie farmer.
thx!

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

P.S. The guy a the hydro store thinks I should get one of these

What do you think? Overall my plants have been really healthy. I was just thinking of switching to Hardwater Micro.

looking in the side door:
http://farm5.static.invalid.com/4028/4355115414_6b223fa2d0_o.jpg

M

Malachi

If your tap is 372 you def. need hard water micro. Are you using the Lucas formula?

5tickynubz

I agree that's really hard water. My tap water is always between 80-100 PPMs

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

you need a reverse osmosis unit dude... you can hook them up under a sink these days... or just spike a water line in the basement..

372 is super hard and is overloaded in minerals and probably chlorine.. i would at least buy a pur water filter for your tap or a brita pitcher filter..

get better water and these problems will go away....:bubblez:

Sorry, forgot to add that I let the H20 sit overnight to gas off the chlorine.

OK, I'll get the hardwater Micro asap.

I'm running coco & I wonder if it's fairly resilient since the tent looks pretty good despite the high ppm level?

C

CAPO

I would make sure the "small boy" filter takes care of chloramine. Chloramine won't evaporate like chlorine and is more harmful.

K

KushMaster707

i would go with the de-chlorinator/sediment filter that the guy at your hydro store suggested bro you'll be much happier and for the price of only $100 is well worth the troubles you'll avoid. i personally use a merlin garden pro r/o system (i also own a tall boy for emergency water) and it works great but they are quite pricey and waste a lot of water. The small boy will give you consistent lower ppm water without having to let it sit overnight to rid of any chlorine. your plants will thank you:damnhippie:

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

You could get a cheap filter at Home dePot that will drop your tap water ppm to about 50. Look near the appliances for the fridge water filter; it'll run you less than $40. It's not the best filter out there, but it works in a pinch. all you need besides the $34 unit is a valve for the end of the hose. The kit comes with a saddle valve for copper pipe and is super easy to install. Just another option for you to consider. Peace

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

duuuuuuuuuuuude do not get hard water micro! you need a filter! 372 is super high!

hardwater micro is just a bandaid, it will work, but you can buy distilled at walmart for like 85 cents a gallon for gods sake....

LOL .. yeah, later I thought it would be a waste after fixing my water. I'm going to buy bottled until I can sort this out. There's distilled, drinking, & one other type I think. Which is the one I want? Distilled? thx

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I would make sure the "small boy" filter takes care of chloramine. Chloramine won't evaporate like chlorine and is more harmful.

I'll have to shoot the Co. an email. He said it should knock down the ppm by about 200. That still puts me @170-180.

The cost isn't so much an issue as that I'm in an apt and don't want to mess w/ the plumbing. It's got to be a faucet-attached solution. Until I get it sorted I'm going to haul bottled water. I only have 3 plants and it's about 1 gal every 2 to 3 days for all three right now.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

You could get a cheap filter at Home dePot that will drop your tap water ppm to about 50. Look near the appliances for the fridge water filter; it'll run you less than $40. It's not the best filter out there, but it works in a pinch. all you need besides the $34 unit is a valve for the end of the hose. The kit comes with a saddle valve for copper pipe and is super easy to install. Just another option for you to consider. Peace

K, I think u guys have me convinced. There's no reason I can't call the landlord & tell him to send the plumber for my leaky faucet (real) and to install a water filtration unit b/c our water is so distasteful and very high in ppm. In the meantime ... distilled H20 + CalMag.

Malachi, not the Lucas formula, but the modified 6ml GH Micro/9 ml GH Bloom version + Hygrozyme. I even added
CAlMag for a couple feedings. I had a grow journal at another forum, then wanted to move it here as well, but it takes so much time & hassle that I'm just going to finish it there and start new here on the next run.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

If you can turn a screwdriver, the saddle valve is the easiest thing to install. When you see what I mean, you'll be glad you checked it out. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck, buddy!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
How old is your tent? You didn't buy an old stock or used ine did you? Some of them had off gassing problems.

My well water is 850 ppm. I never have to use cal/mag. It is OK with soil grows but not for hydro or drip systems. It was impossible for me.

It also worked good for my coco grow because they usually need some cal mag.

Did you flush the coco good or use preflushed?

C

CAPO

I'm pretty sure the sediment/carbon filters work on chloramine.
Chloramine some real nasty shit and works in combo with ammonia for municipal water and can't be removed by evaporation. People have been geeting burn like rashes in San Fran..google this up after you eat, not before.lol.
Some folks are sayin that a little chlorine might be beneficial. I'm not sure though.
I hooked up my tall boy filter using the hose bib connection for my washer. All I did was buy a 3-way split with shut off valves, right around 5 bucks at Home Depot.
Make sure the filter is elevated up some.
I think my plants are a lot happier with the cleaner water, just have to add back the Cal/Mag.

C

CAPO

I wanted to add if you're buying distilled, make sure it's Sodium free! I made that mistake before.

If you end up buying a filter, I would recommend an RO. It cost me a little over 2 bills for a small one (100 gal/day). It wastes more than 90% of the water to the drain, but I also drink it.
Ahhhh....so refreshing!!!

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

How old is your tent? You didn't buy an old stock or used ine did you? Some of them had off gassing problems.

My well water is 850 ppm. I never have to use cal/mag. It is OK with soil grows but not for hydro or drip systems. It was impossible for me.

It also worked good for my coco grow because they usually need some cal mag.

Did you flush the coco good or use preflushed?

The tent is new and the coco is a pre-flushed mix from Roots Organics. I'm guessing the reason this is a small problem and not a big one is specifically due to inherent buffering in the coco.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

If you can turn a screwdriver, the saddle valve is the easiest thing to install. When you see what I mean, you'll be glad you checked it out. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck, buddy!

Will do. I ordered an RO filter - found a 1-day special on this unit for half-price ($115)! I'm not a complete idiot w/ a wrench so if it's as easy as you guys say, it shouldn't be a problem. The wife likes the idea of clean water too. I picked up Spring water in the meantime which measure 005ppm. It's a new tds meter but I'm going to calibrate it; seems like a very low reading.

Thx everyone for the help.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
For the record....Distilled water does not have sodium in it. Not even distilled sea water.

C

CAPO

Then why do some bottles have "sodium free" as part of their labels......

C

CAPO

Distilled should be as pure as reverse osmosis, right?
Why then the distinction with some bottles and not others, this is what we noticed. Then we thought, hmmm, maybe some distilled has a level of sodium.
Then we thought better safe than sorry.. I mean sodium....that wouldn't be good....

Latest posts

Top Bottom