Looking For Advice On My Start (rdwc &a Led)

• Thread starter Stonerbeast
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stonerbeast

Tent: 48" 48" 80"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9O6UJ0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

With ventilation and carbon filter

Light: LED 600w
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HYUO9VY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?smid=A1FIU912CDMNTR&psc=1

RDWC system:
https://h2otogro.ecwid.com/Complete-kit-05-~-4-site-Recirculating-Bubbler-p52769680

Was looking to grow three plants, I know that system is for four plants, but I won't use that 4th bucket. I just can't find a 3 bucket RDWC system. My main question is wether or not that light will suffice for 3 plants. I know it's it's not extravagant but I'd like to use LED. If that light is total shit, is there any LED that someone can advise around the $100-300(max) price range.

Polar510

Polar510

Not sure on the HIGROW brand, but if its anything like my mars 600 led that draws 272 watts it will grow 3-4 medium plants nicely. If your growing in a 48"x 48" You might want to think about getting (2) 300 watt light's intead of (1) 600watt to spread the light out and fill that space.

Last edited:
S

Stonerbeast

Not sure on the HIGROW brand, but if its anything like my mars 600 led that draws 272 watts it will grow 3-4 medium plants nicely. If your growing in a 48"x 48" You might want to think about getting (2) 300 watt light's intead of (1) 600watt to spread the light out and fill that space.

https://www.amazon.com/MarsHydro-Mars600-Spectrum-Certificate-Hydroponic/dp/B00XC3LBIW

Is this the LED you use? I like this one.
Also, I was worried about that 48" 48" being so big, but I figured if I keep my number of plants around 2-3 (4max) and keep them directly under the light, I should be fine. Or maybe get a slightly smaller tent because I think that tent can handle like 6 plants.

S

Stonerbeast

I can't edit my last post, but I noticed 2 300w are the same price is 1 600, so I'll prob take ur advice to make sure the plants are getting sufficient lighting.

mandalaman

mandalaman

So, i wouldn't recommend that RDWC system. Below are my reasons why.

While rockwool is doable in RDWC it's not ideal (in my opinion). I wouldn't trust a preconfigured RDWC kit that utilizes rockwool.

You don't need the airstones. In fact, as a member @FooDoo has been kind enough to bring us along on his RDWC finding he has shown airstones likely cause more harm than good.

You could put a simple DIY together similar to that Setup for less money and without much work. Plus you'd become intimately familiar with how the system works and I believe become a better grower as a result.

My guess is you'll be disappointed with that light in a 4x4.

I'm a big fan of Apollo tents. In fact I have that exact tent.

How handy would you consider yourself?

I hope FooDoo chimes in, as he has been of tremendous assistance to me with some of my RDWC issues.

iKharon

iKharon

My thoughts too.. either get a kind k51000 to run over 3, or get 2 315w CMh lights. Just my opinion. But if you go Led.. you get what you pay for. Believe me. Also figure, what, 1/2-1 g per true watt... so if you're tripping on yield.. go bigger. $1400 will get you a badass light tho. I have k5 750, thinking about adding a k5 1000 tho. Amazing lights, easy to program, then just let them rage. :)

mandalaman

mandalaman

I'd love to talk you out of airstones. But I'm not the one to do it. :D

Good to see you made your decision and are just going to start. That's the most important thing.

S

Stonerbeast

Thx for the replies!
The K51000 is an amazing looking light, unfortunately it's out of my price range. I'd like to keep my set up within a reasonable price range of me, and upgrade as I become more experienced.
I seem to have my grow tent setup figured out, the only thing I'm missing is a reasonable light for that 3foot x 3foot grow room. I liked that mars LED, that was advised; however, you guys are correct when you say "you get what you pay for", it would be a shame to get started just to learn my light is shit.

Also, I figured you were against air stones in a RDWC system, not a DWC. What's the problem with air stones? How do the planets get oxygenated water without one?

mandalaman

mandalaman

In a RDWC system 4 bucket system the splash of the water splashing back into the control bucket will provide plenty of aeration. I think FooDoo is running 16 buckets on just the return flow connected to a T to provide more splash (I believe).

Are you running DWC or RDWC?

mandalaman

mandalaman

Also, if using just the splash in the control bucket you want your water level higher than if using a waterfall in each bucket, for example.

S

Stonerbeast

This thread has tons of great information:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/could-air-stones-be-doing-more-harm-than-good.86095/

Also I would consider a 315cmh for the 3x3. Have you looked into any yet?

I decided to go with a DWC. I couldn't find a RDWC that I liked. And I really don't wanna make one. My original plan was to turn 5 gallon buckets into a simple DWC system, but I'm thinking of using a 10gal Walmart storage toter, and using that as a DWC for two plants per toter. Changing the water/adding water seemed like a pain in the ass for the buckets. At least with the toter I can make an attional hole to siphon water and check the levels.

Here is a 315 LEC I found that I seen a lot of people using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBCV8T...UTF8&colid=2OEUMIEMRUYTI&coliid=IATQ0HO1WJYPE

I'm going to read that air stone link now.

Edit: the more research I do Toward that 315 LEC, the more I like it. Seems like a solid lighting system for a 3x3 grow room, perfect for 3-4 plants.

Last edited:
mandalaman

mandalaman

That's too pricy in my opinion. @DemonTrich knows his CMH. I think he generally recommends a prism ballast and philips bulb (4200k veg, 3100k flower).

But it should be perfect for a 3x3.

You could always do a 1 plant RDWC and it's incredibly easy to make. They even have kits you can purchase. I have a two plant RDWC in my 3x3 now (under LED) and after harvest and converting it to a one plant RDWC myself.

Check out growershouse.com for the lights (and other things)

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Also, take a look at the hood they use when they post their specs. Different hoods react differently. I use big kahuna hoods. In veg I'm about 1' away. In flower, after stretch, I'm now about 1' away. No problems at all. I use big kahuna hoods.

This allows me.a closer distance with out frying the plants.

S

Stonerbeast

Hey fellas, thx for the replies.
Soo I've been looking into that big kahuna hood, the ones that I found seemed pretty big and would need to be assembled with a ballast and lamps. I feel like the tent would be pressed for space with that giant hood with a vent w/ carbon filter. I also so other ppl saying they need more than that to get their lamp setups complete. I concider myself somewhat handy but I'd like to keep the handy work to a minimum.

I did find that same CLE fixture on that website for about 10$ cheaper than Amazon, and comes with a 4200 lamp, and I'll only need to buy the 3100 lamp for flowering. And this sun system brand seems pretty legit with other growers.

http://growershouse.com/sun-system-lec-315w-light-ceramic-mh-cmh-fixture-120v-4200k

Something I just realized is, if my grow tent is only going to be around 5'3, and that LEC lights needs to be around 18'-20' away from the canopy, won't I run out of room if I'm growing sativas? Or can use plant training (manipulate the stems) to make my plants grow sideways? Or should I just look for a 3 x 3 x and About 6 foot high?

As for RDWC kits I couldn't find any. I did find a nice little 4 plant RDWC on Home Depot
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-Re...336niutxsy-JdDoehRhTVwzj5N7pIotmFchoCIW_w_wcB

Some ppl
Did say that it was missing parts thought.

I think until I become more experienced I'm going to make a 2 plant DWC system using 10 gal Walmart storage containers. That way I can easily change the water. Also if I'm growing 4 plants I'll
Only need to do 2 water changes instead of 4.

Top Bottom