Loop Botanicals - Essential Oil Extractor 1.5lb Closed Loop System

• Thread starter OB1Ganjobi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

Hey All
I live out here in Beautiful Colorado and recently we purchased a closed loop extraction system from some real chill guys at LOOP BOTANICALS! They came out and showed me the ins and outs of the system and how it all works. This system was the only one that has a HUGE glass window in the catch chamber so you can watch your extraction happen. I’ve been very pleased with the ease of the system, its fast, simple and makes me wonder how much time and butane I’ve wasted in the past, and considering the price difference between this one and other systems of the same size I’ve already saved thousands on the system and hundreds on butane.

This is the pic of the system from their Facebook page. Check em out!
Machine1wlogo

Here’s the system ready to put together. I have all Grape Ape indoor trim, small buds and lots of nice greenhouse nugs packed in there. All together about 1.25lbs of material.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system

The tank goes in a 5 gal. bucket of ice and water until its at or below freezing and the butane bottles are kept on a heat pad in order to keep them a little warmer than room temp. A full case of butane fits into the Storage Tank and it goes in by manually opening and closing the quick connect valve as its blasted into the tank.

The Butane Storage Tank is weighed empty and full so we know when all the butane has been blasted into and through the Trim Chamber.

The system assembled and ready to go.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 19

In Laman’s Terms…
Butane in liquid form is cold and naturally wants to go to the coldest chamber it can get to. So, we’re making the butane go from its Storage Tank, through the Trim Chamber, into our Catch Chamber, then back to its Storage Tank using a heating pad, ice water and boiling water leaving only BHO behind.

The Storage Tank has a heat pad wrapped around it to force the butane out of the Storage Tank, through the Trim Chamber and into the Catch Chamber that is sitting in a bucket of ice and water. The butane naturally wants to go to the colder chamber and is taking all the goodness with it!
View attachment 381651

Once the Storage Tank has been weighed to make sure all the butane is in the Trim Chamber and going into the Catch Chamber, its taken off the Trim Chamber and the heat pad is moved to the top of the Trim Chabmer to force the all butane down to the Catch Chamber.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 4

This system is AWESOME!!! Its pretty sweet to watch the Catch Chamber fill with golden liquid.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 5

Once the Trim Chamber has been warmed from the heat pad being slowly moved to the bottom of the Trim Chamber, all the butane is now in the Catch Chamber and its time to recycle the butane back in its Storage Tank.

The Storage Tank is placed in ice and water and the Catch Chamber is put in a 5 gal. bucket and filled with boiling water and kept hot by topping it off with fresh hot water to force the butane back in to its Storage Tank to be used again.
I’ve been getting about 75 to 80% return on butane.
Recycing

As the butane is forced back to the Storage Tank you can watch through the glass and see all the bubbles of butane rising up and leaving the Catch Chamber.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 7

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 8

Once the Catch Chamber is almost empty (@ 1/2 in. of BHO liquid) we take the system outside to slowly let off the excess gas until there’s pretty much no hissing (pressure) sound coming out of the Catch Chamber.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 10

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 9

The Catch Chamber is opened and emptied into a glass dish lined with ‘Oil Slick – Slick Sheet’.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 11

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 12

And now its time to put the BHO into a Heated Vac. Chamber and purge all the butane OUT and make it into some nice shatter and or honeycomb waxy goodness. It’s in at full vac. for about 12 hours at 120 degrees.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 13

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 14

Looks like gold cotton candy as it puffs up during vac.

After its overnight purge it turned into an almost shatter but upon inspection with my loop I saw a few little bubbles so I put it back in the Vac. Chamber.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 15

This time there was a lot of excess BHO left in the Catch Chamber that we scrapped out and put on parchment paper. While the majority is purging in the Vac. Chamber the rest of the excess is heated up with a CLEAN hair dryer and stirred like you would in a hot water bath. Then the parchment is folded in half, folding the BHO into itself to further purge. The excess was then left out overnight waiting for the heated Vac. Chamber.
Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 16

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 17

Loop botanicals   essential oil extractor 15lb closed loop system 18

The excess BHO goes into the heated Vac. Chamber to purge the last of the butane out and it turned into a honeycomb wax.

Labled extractor
Last edited:
OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

The last of the purging pictures.
IMG 0770
IMG 0776

The excess then went into the heated vac. chamber.
IMG 0778

And it turned into honeycomb wax.
IMG 0783

Here's the two separate purges together.
IMG 0841

This system takes about 2 hours to complete, the most strenuous part being packing the Trim Chamber the rest is just watching, waiting and keeping the system chambers at their proper temps.
I highly recommend this system to anyone who wants to save lots of time and money and has a lot of material to run... and a little extra money to spend.
Happy Blastin Everybody!!!

Last edited:
killemsoftly

killemsoftly

nice work wavegem. what do you use for butane? hard for me to get much more than king three times since colibri dissappeared. have to start ordering from amazon. pm me if you want. paz

Graywolf

Graywolf

The last of the purging pictures.

This system takes about 2 hours to complete, the most strenuous part being packing the Trim Chamber the rest is just watching, waiting and keeping the system chambers at their proper temps.

I highly recommend this system to anyone who wants to save lots of time and money and has a lot of material to run... and a little extra money to spend.
Happy Blastin Everybody!!!

View attachment 381699

That is what shit looks like.

I have run graywolfs system hundreds of times. I now blast with trim and kief in a 1 1/2 ounce glass tube getting close to an ounce per tube with 2 cans in 10 minutes

View attachment 381701

Practice makes perfect

Cool system I like the sight glass, don't like temp pushing and pulling butane

Looks like it should work and is of reasonable quality. As already noted, you can do things with a vacuum recovery system, that you can't with passive systems relying on heat, but it should be able to make products similar to the Tamisium and Lil Terp.

Wonder if they've gotten the cease and desist letter from Tamisium's patent attorney yet? My Lil Terp sure made them nervous, and I only donated that design free to public domain. Not the same as building and selling them..............................

They may have done what I did, and that was obtain a copy of the patent application and decide that it was unlikely to be granted in its present form. In my case it is moot, but in theirs it is a potential hazard.

Two things concern me in the design. The first is that the closed system has a glass sight glass, which are usually not rated for the pressures that a closed column of butane will reach if moderately heated. I know of two exploding from over pressure, venting the contents of the device through the new found opening.

The second is that there is no pressure relief valve. I may build a pressure chamber without a pressure relief, but I wouldn't offer one for sale without one, unless it was difficult to impossible to reach failure pressures. Fools and idiots will find a way, and a commercial enterprise has to be able to afford liability insurance, as well as make OSHA happy.

In this case, if it is to have a glass sight gauge under pressure, it should have a pressure relief valve set below its rupture pressure. You can attach a hose to our pressure relief valves, and vent them to a catch tank under vacuum, for subsequent reclaim, or run a release somewhere else safer.

That brings us to the question where you are running it, and if you are running it indoors, where the pictures were taken, I would recommend discontinuing that practice. While it may appear safe, sometimes things go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.....................

foaf

foaf

Having a clear collection chamber is sweet.

GW, do you know if the Tasummi patent relies on ideas that I put out in public domain initially? They sure can't patent closed or pumping and I published passive with dry ice around 2006 I think, but some of that was at the now gone Overgrow. We have documented postings of all that at thenook.org and that site isn't crawled so they may think they have more than they do.

Since I brought it up, here is the first passive system I know of, posted on Overgrow and thenook 8 or so years ago. It worked great. Modified pressure cooker with neoprene gasket. The condenser had dry ice and acetone in it.

Last edited:
Delerium

Delerium

Just by looking at it is seemed like a giant Tamisium. Was it the heat that made it turn so dark?

killemsoftly

killemsoftly

seriously. we need to head out to the great outdoors to do this chicos n chicas. that is a trip to the er just waiting to happen with a closed casket as a roll of the dice and a dash of we ided himor her by their dental records. safety first. safety always. imho fwiw cmagop aka callmeagrumpyoldprick

Wavegem

Wavegem

I ran a tamisium and it came out like that. I think the passive push and pull using temperature is no good. Also the vac chamber he used is not the best so who know how hot it got in there

The big across international oven is awesome. I absolutely love it

OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

Looks like it should work and is of reasonable quality. As already noted, you can do things with a vacuum recovery system, that you can't with passive systems relying on heat, but it should be able to make products similar to the Tamisium and Lil Terp.

Wonder if they've gotten the cease and desist letter from Tamisium's patent attorney yet? My Lil Terp sure made them nervous, and I only donated that design free to public domain. Not the same as building and selling them..............................

They may have done what I did, and that was obtain a copy of the patent application and decide that it was unlikely to be granted in its present form. In my case it is moot, but in theirs it is a potential hazard.

Two things concern me in the design. The first is that the closed system has a glass sight glass, which are usually not rated for the pressures that a closed column of butane will reach if moderately heated. I know of two exploding from over pressure, venting the contents of the device through the new found opening.

The second is that there is no pressure relief valve. I may build a pressure chamber without a pressure relief, but I wouldn't offer one for sale without one, unless it was difficult to impossible to reach failure pressures. Fools and idiots will find a way, and a commercial enterprise has to be able to afford liability insurance, as well as make OSHA happy.

In this case, if it is to have a glass sight gauge under pressure, it should have a pressure relief valve set below its rupture pressure. You can attach a hose to our pressure relief valves, and vent them to a catch tank under vacuum, for subsequent reclaim, or run a release somewhere else safer.

That brings us to the question where you are running it, and if you are running it indoors, where the pictures were taken, I would recommend discontinuing that practice. While it may appear safe, sometimes things go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.....................

Thanks for the tips, advice and opinions everyone :)
That run was made with older buds and trim which probably contributed to it's darker color.

I do burp the system a few times along the way to ease the pressure.
From what I understand the glass window is manufactured to stand up to a high pressure environment and they modified it for their system.

Their systems do come with a pressure gauge. Mine was not working properly so it's not pictured. It's in the mail here now. It's shown on The pic from their Facebook page though.

I plan on running the system outdoors from now on. Though I do know nothing is 100% safe, I felt comfortable doing this inside because a friend of mine who also has this system has used his inside probably 50 times.

I've used my vac chamber system for a while now and am fairly pleased with its results. I would like to buy an actual oven vac chamber sometime soon now that I have this system.

Ill be posting more pics of the system and the results soon.

Last edited:
Graywolf

Graywolf

Having a clear collection chamber is sweet.

GW, do you know if the Tasummi patent relies on ideas that I put out in public domain initially? They sure can't patent closed or pumping and I published passive with dry ice around 2006 I think, but some of that was at the now gone Overgrow. We have documented postings of all that at thenook.org and that site isn't crawled so they may think they have more than they do.

Since I brought it up, here is the first passive system I know of, posted on Overgrow and thenook 8 or so years ago. It worked great. Modified pressure cooker with neoprene gasket. The condenser had dry ice and acetone in it. View attachment 381731

His patent application number US 2011/0133120 A1, dated 6-9-2011, does appear to attempt to patent the same principles as you show above. Since he made me obtain my own copy, I don't see myself violating any trusts sharing a a copy of his patent application. I rotated them 90 degrees to give the largest picture size.

Tamisium patent application 1 1
Tamisium Patent application 1 2
Tamisium Patent application 1 3
Tamisium Patent application 1 4
W

wd4d

His patent application number US 2011/0133120 A1, dated 6-9-2011, does appear to attempt to patent the same principles as you show above. Since he made me obtain my own copy, I don't see myself violating any trusts sharing a a copy of his patent application. I rotated them 90 degrees to give the largest picture size.
myself personally owning a model 700 Tamisium within 30 seconds of opening up the box when I received it I realized I could take my TIG welder and get on the internet and order the exact same parts out of stainless steel and weld them together myself for about $400! there isn't one thing about any of them units that isn't pretty basic

W

wd4d

and if anybody is going to start making copycats of them somebody please start making them that you can run pounds through not ounces there's a lot of people out there that have hundreds of pounds to run and the tamisium would take years to get it done

OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

Some more yummy everything.
Scott's og, juicy fruit, and I forget... a friend's trim.
I watched it closely and got some nice shatter out of most of it. It breaks nicely at room temps and smokes smooth. The bits and catch chamber scraping I vacced and then thru it in the oven at @115 -130ish for @3-4 hrs and it waxed up real good after some stirring along the way.
IMG 0915
IMG 0933
IMG 0932
IMG 1000
IMG 0950
IMG 1017

Last edited:
OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

I talked with the Loop Botanicals guys the other day...
Anyway they said they've talked with a patent attorney and they are not in violation of any patents... so I guess they're all good.

E

eurekagrower

Yeah these guys are bad ass. They were the only company on the market willing to deliver and demo a machine. They flew out here to Humboldt county and showed me everything there is to know about the extractor. Aside of that, they taught me how to get all the different consistencies of oil: shatter and crumble. I would highly recommend these guys to anyone trying to get into the extraction business. I was able to pay for both of my machines in two days with there method and now im waiting on there 5lb model that will be released next month. Thanks again Loop

OB1Ganjobi

OB1Ganjobi

Recently a friend gave us some nice outdoor nugs of Strawberry Kush to run for them and it turned out pretty good... for an outdoor nug run.. :happy:
The freshly poured extraction...
IMG 1247

Oven purged at @120 for @15 minutes and into the heated vac chamber for 17 hours.
IMG 1251

IMG 1255

We made some into a nice shatter that bends a little and breaks at room temps.
The other half we made into a good wax
IMG 1254

Off the oil slick sheet and onto some unbleached parchment
IMG 1278

IMG 1277

IMG 1279

We've been gettin a pretty good % return, anywhere from 13 to 20+ depending on quality of course...

Last edited:
Top Bottom