Lost Faithful Dog To Snake Bite Checking Bush Crop

• Thread starter One drop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Nog

Yes, I was out in the bush yesterday looking for an old spot, and I had my youngest dog with me and I made sure I kept her on a very short leash and behind me, I wasn't going to let her run around like she would during snake season, and I wanted to be in front of her as I had a chance of seeing a snake whereas dogs aren't looking for them.

It's hard, you can leave them sitting at home, or you can let them live life and take their chances.

Your little dog went living life to the fullest not chained up in a backyard like a lot of dogs.

S

SaltSpring

My worst nightmare. I had some close calls when I started growing along some railroad tracks when I was 16 - I would walk at night along the tracks to get to my grow and the snakes just loved the railroad ballast.
Keep your head up buddy.

SP

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes, I was out in the bush yesterday looking for an old spot, and I had my youngest dog with me and I made sure I kept her on a very short leash and behind me, I wasn't going to let her run around like she would during snake season, and I wanted to be in front of her as I had a chance of seeing a snake whereas dogs aren't looking for them.

It's hard, you can leave them sitting at home, or you can let them live life and take their chances.

Your little dog went living life to the fullest not chained up in a backyard like a lot of dogs.
Yep she is running free sniffing butts and weeing on everything she could find cheers for your thoughts .

S

SHIRDABZALOT

I send my condolences man. I couldn't imagine losing my lil jack russel girl. I will probably end up in the loony bin for a couple weeks when that day comes. My lil girl goes everywhere with me.....if she can't go, then I don't go. The love we can feel for our little pets is indescribable. She was smiling in bed and I snapped this pic, her name is Chainsaw. I hope it can make you smile for just a second. Again man I'm so sorry for your loss, literally made me tear up just thinking about it, I'm a softy when it comes to women, children or pets.

20160210 210211
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Is rocksalt in a single shot 20ga an option? I know that guns are not a prevalent there as they are here. Rocksalt would just wound the snake and hurt like hell out of it, not a lethal weapon.

N

Nog

.22 Ratshot is good for killing snakes.
Has little steel pellets in it like a shotgun.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I guess it's just different here in the US. We even have the rattlesnake roundup in Texas.........sorry vengeance is prohibited there
I wouldn't feel very good killing a creature to revenge her death it was just terrible accident ill make sure it will never happen again I'll check my bush pot solo style . It's the same where I surf seen some really big sharks but that will never stop me from surfing here . Cheers guys for your thoughts .

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

I wouldn't feel very good killing a creature to revenge her death it was just terrible accident ill make sure it will never happen again I'll check my bush pot solo style . It's the same where I surf seen some really big sharks but that will never stop me from surfing here . Cheers guys for your thoughts .

On a sad but possibly true note....if she wasn't there you might have been the one bit.....just a way to look at things

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
On a sad but possibly true note....if she wasn't there you might have been the one bit.....just a way to look at things
It's a possibility yes of corse but in the 12 years we have been on the island this is the first time ive had any contact with a snake but your right it could of been worse .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
If you look at how much bush is in front the beach where we go I bet there's thousand of the suckers out there just keep to the tracks is the only safe way to get there but I've never seen one but I bet they have seen and felt us going by

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

If you look at how much bush is in front the beach where we go I bet there's thousand of the suckers out there just keep to the tracks is the only safe way to get there but I've never seen one but I bet they have seen and felt us going by
Get a pet mongoose instead of a dog.....those things kill snakes for fun

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am SO SORRY to read about this. I'm glad that you're able to keep your beloved little dog's remains close to home, for me that has meant a lot.

I, too, was bitten by a venomous snake some years ago (Mojave green rattler). Lots of people talked to me about killing snakes afterwards. I am absolutely not down with it, so I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your attitude towards what has happened here. The snake was simply doing what it does best--being a snake. They're not unpredictable, they don't sneak up on you, or plan your demise. So killing is simply a senseless act of revenge.

I started catching rattlers in high school because some neighbors had poisoned their little dog accidentally trying to poison gophers. It made, and still makes no sense whatsoever to me. You've got yourself free and ready vermin control, why risk killing your pets, etc? So, I learned to handle them back then, would remove and set free elsewhere.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I am SO SORRY to read about this. I'm glad that you're able to keep your beloved little dog's remains close to home, for me that has meant a lot.

I, too, was bitten by a venomous snake some years ago (Mojave green rattler). Lots of people talked to me about killing snakes afterwards. I am absolutely not down with it, so I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your attitude towards what has happened here. The snake was simply doing what it does best--being a snake. They're not unpredictable, they don't sneak up on you, or plan your demise. So killing is simply a senseless act of revenge.

I started catching rattlers in high school because some neighbors had poisoned their little dog accidentally trying to poison gophers. It made, and still makes no sense whatsoever to me. You've got yourself free and ready vermin control, why risk killing your pets, etc? So, I learned to handle them back then, would remove and set free elsewhere.
Thank you @Seamaiden its been a hard week for me and the kids I havnt told my wife yet we decided to do that when she gets home in a weeks time i didn't want her to be upset away without my arms around her to hold her . I hope she won't be angry at me for not telling her . And you know you are right I would feel so bad if I went on the snake hunt n destroy it was just a normal response from the snake it had no agenda to hunt Roxy down it was faited as my wife will say she is from Viking stock .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Roxy did her job, and she did it the very best. That's part of what makes it such a terrible loss. I'm sure your wife will understand why you chose not to tell until she's home. Hopefully she won't go all shield-maiden on you, right?

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

No mate we just leave the snakes be free and living
I went to school with a native of the OZ, he is aborig, and made it CRYSTAL clear how his people feel about folks with a Oh ill kill every last one i see mentality!~ I am native american and i can tell you that while it is extremely painful to deal with a loss in our families, it also our responsibility to understand that we are part of nature and not everything in nature has to bend to man's will (WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES) , evolution has made that pretty damn clear(VENOM). Not only are those king browns and taipans not to be played with they have funnel webs there that are very aggressive and can pierce toenails with their fangs, so OZ is truly a head on swivel when your in or near the bush. I recently had a buddy visit over there and believe it or not a damn catapillar brushed against him and almost KILLED him!
the pic below is a prime example of you never know whats lurking where........
Rattlesnakepeppers

i truly am sorry for your loss, but i truly embrace your willingness to move on and not be retaliatory!

Top Bottom