Low Lumens or 'LUX'?

• Thread starter Prestige
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prestige

Prestige

S1 means the first generation of 'Selfed' progeny (techniqually, they could be male, as well, but I've never seen anyone do it with cannabis).

So, say you have a phenotype that you find and want to take it to seed. You take a cut, grow it out as usual, but let it go far past its prime in flowering, eventually, it will pop pollen/balls/stamen. This is a survival mechanism, the female plant will attempt to fertilize itself before the season is over, in an attempt to pass on her genetics. The drive to reproduce is strong in all life forms.

Now, the thing about this pollen is that it is 'female pollen' and if you pollenate a true female, you will yield 'feminized' seeds.

You must be sure to pollenate a separate female or clone from the same mother. Do not collect the seeds from the female plant that you have allowed to create feminized pollen, as its progeny will be more prone to popping pollen earlier in flower, giving seeded bud.

Since only one female plant and her clones are involved in the process (no male), it is described as 'selfing'. You will also see the female labeled as 'reversed'. The female is considered 'reversed' while the progeny (seeds) are considered 'Selfed' (S1; the number representing the generation).

So say you have a clone that you absolutely love, but have no male. You can take a clone, reverse it and pollenate a second clone and produce seed. While the progeny will be very similar to the original clone, there will be variation in the progeny, despite what many people think, but you are more likely to come across a phenotype that is virtually identical to the original clone. There can still be phenotypic variation within the S1 generation (unless it was true breeding for ALL expressed phenotypic traits, highly unlikely), even if it is hard to observe with the senses. Generally speaking, you get more uniformity with S1's (more homogenous), but it really depends on the clone being used.

Or you could take that pollen to a female of a completely different strain and still get feminized seeds.

Sorry for the very lengthy explanations. I tend to be very careful with My statements. Where most would say 'The sun WILL rise tomorrow.' I tend to say, 'The sun will most likely rise tomorrow'.

Prestige

Prestige

Anyways, that's usually how feminized seeds are made.

Phenotype = Genotype + Environment

Within you genetic makeup (genotype), you most likely contain the code(s) for photo-reactive pigmentation (tanned skin), unless your an albino. Anyways, given the proper environment (plenty of strong sunlight), you will display or express tanned skin (phenotype). Where as an identical twin of yours living in a place with low levels of sunlight may not. Same genotypes, two separate phenotypes.... This is a horribly shitty example, but you get the point.

Using this equation, I have gotten a 90% indica to express a sativa phenotype, on the very first attempt, simply by manipulation its environment.

('SAD' from Sweet Seeds; S1 Feminized. Reported to be very homogenous.)

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

thank you for the info this is going to be fun for me as i love to learn!!!!!

Prestige

Prestige

No problem. Pheno hunting and breeding adds a whole new dimension to this hobby. Say you do come across or find something special, a cut can go for big bucks. I heard the Ghost OG cut went for $1000 and heard a rumor that at one time, the buy-in for the Tahoe OG cut was $40,000. Now I don't know how accurate that is, but you can see that there is a high value attached to clones of Elite and Rare genetics.

Top Bottom