low stress = more females?

• Thread starter 420alldaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420alldaze

420alldaze

whats up friends and farmers, im sure this has been talked about somewhere. but i would like to hear the thoughts on this from anyone and everyone here. Do you think its possible to get a better female ratio,from a low stress start? for example,small seedlings with fans blowing on them to promote strong stalks, high or low heat,dry mediums,wet mediums and so on. i am curious about other farmers thoughts. thanks

42o

420alldaze

420alldaze

hey ow,thats the point. im wondering if anyobody sees a difference when popping seeds and they sprout, if using a fan even the slightest bit or kool air,hot air ,keeping the dirt too wet or dry etc have a direct impact on getting more males/females or doesnt it matter? im just trying to see what real benefits of having no stress on young seeds as far as m/f ratios goes. does that make any more sense ? thanks 42o

Botanikos

Botanikos

Always had good success with min stress to start... Use the fan on the low setting and 4 feet away, then as they grow increase the fan speed or decrease the distance of the fan. I've seen people tie the stems down in early stages with good success. But wouldn't cause too much stress it may back fire esp. with the heat and soil, but one or two of the one I mentioned can't really go wrong.

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

like to think i give my seedlings a very optimal grow space. i also have a hard time finding males in regular seed packs. i used to love it, now that im looking for males to breed with it kinda sucks. most males ive gotten is two from a 12 pack. doesnt give you many options to choose from. so i guess im interested for the opposite reason as most. do you think if i gave seedlings less optimal living conditions id get more males?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ok, I finally understand. At first I was like why would you want to stress them if you want it to be low stress. I was thinking in human terms, low stress means pretty chill. Rather than using a technique to put a low level of stress on the plants intentionally. Took me a few days.

outwest

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

l
Ok, I finally understand. At first I was like why would you want to stress them if you want it to be low stress. I was thinking in human terms, low stress means pretty chill. Rather than using a technique to put a low level of stress on the plants intentionally. Took me a few days.

outwest
lol good shit bro. i was like whats this guy jabbering on about? he usually makes plenty of sense. now that you grasp the concept, whats your thoughts on the matter?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
l
lol good shit bro. i was like whats this guy jabbering on about? he usually makes plenty of sense. now that you grasp the concept, whats your thoughts on the matter?

I'm just in the process of starting my first seedlings, so I have no idea.

outwest

smartcalyx

smartcalyx

ahh.. then take what you can from this thread. it seems to me the more stable/optimal living conditions the easier it is to end up with higher female ratios. im just trying to figure out if unstable or uncomfortable living conditions causes a higher male ratio

Tiger Brandz

Tiger Brandz

yo 420! I saw a thread somewhere where the guy claims he can spot male/female seeds by looking at the seeds through a magnifying glass. So if thats true, then abviously a male seed will be male and ...

I always felt thathigher humidity gives more females, than dry conditions, at seedling stage.
Dunno about the fan on them, but moving air is essential, just for healthy development. Never really thaught it will change mal/female ratios. But still believe in the humidity. Might just be one of my superstitions, but fuck hey...

cheers dude

ttystikk

ttystikk

There are some plants and animals that change their sex as a response to climate conditions- alligators are one of the more famous examples; if the mound is warm it gives more males, cooler gives more female alligators (or maybe I have it backwards- I'm not an alligator).

My point here is that I don't think cannabis seeds decide what sex they're going to express as a response to environmental stimulus. It's built in at the beginning. You got 12 beans they'll be most likely to run 1/2 and 1/2 whatever the conditions, unless you either 1. create conditions that inhibit one sex or the other, or 2. run feminized gear.

Botanikos

Botanikos

like to think i give my seedlings a very optimal grow space. i also have a hard time finding males in regular seed packs. i used to love it, now that im looking for males to breed with it kinda sucks. most males ive gotten is two from a 12 pack. doesnt give you many options to choose from. so i guess im interested for the opposite reason as most. do you think if i gave seedlings less optimal living conditions id get more males?

Few thread were females were herme'd due to over exposure of light and high heat in the flowering stage... so basically heat and light over exposure for 3 days and typically if the seeds aren't feminized it averages out to be 1 out of 3 are males.

V

vierundzwanzig

Great thread partner.
temps are indeed a factor. higher temps bring more males ( just like the crocs and I bet you there is a link between everything that inhabits the earth) 68 to 72 is best for female possibilities.

Very seldom do I use a heat mat for seeds. seeds start cracking in the wild at soil temps in the 50's so if by chance you start seeds at 76 with a heat mat like is advised by many guess what? Its hotter than the summer soil so thats stressful.
I start under t5's or cfl's move to hps after 4 or 5 nodes and voila Magic!

There are some plants and animals that change their sex as a response to climate conditions- alligators are one of the more famous examples; if the mound is warm it gives more males, cooler gives more female alligators (or maybe I have it backwards- I'm not an alligator).

My point here is that I don't think cannabis seeds decide what sex they're going to express as a response to environmental stimulus. It's built in at the beginning. You got 12 beans they'll be most likely to run 1/2 and 1/2 whatever the conditions, unless you either 1. create conditions that inhibit one sex or the other, or 2. run feminized gear.

I'm not debating you just throwing something out there. What if the "time" in which they were created designates their EVERYTHING? Follow me know. Time for this scenario is governed by the Sun Moon and Stars. Meaning seeds animals and products will have a point in time where they peak or plummet. Born/Produced under the right/wrong Zodiac sign is the Key.

ahh.. then take what you can from this thread. it seems to me the more stable/optimal living conditions the easier it is to end up with higher female ratios. im just trying to figure out if unstable or uncomfortable living conditions causes a higher male ratio
did you make a rhetorical statement look like a question? in order to chastise ow? Wow

yo 420! I saw a thread somewhere where the guy claims he can spot male/female seeds by looking at the seeds through a magnifying glass. So if thats true, then abviously a male seed will be male and ...

I always felt thathigher humidity gives more females, than dry conditions, at seedling stage.
Dunno about the fan on them, but moving air is essential, just for healthy development. Never really thaught it will change mal/female ratios. But still believe in the humidity. Might just be one of my superstitions, but fuck hey...
good/great points
I soak then paper towel my seeds before putting them under a dome for a day or two. I've read that some people can cull seeds by a slight variation in the cotyledon and first set of true leaves. Supposedly females will show a slight twist as opposed to the male that squares up if you know what I mean? It's their truth and therefore Real to them and I kind of see it too.
Perception is Reality.

My bottom line @420alldaze
the tlo movement or whatever it is is how we should grow. true living organisms the acronym could be used a million times/ways but do as you would have done to you. leave everything in a better state than when you found it. I could go on.... like the guy writing the book tlo Rev uses K.I.S a lot, he suggest you give em a good start and watch the show.

Great thread man and I will get something over to the WTF thread soon hell i might have already done it. I've been waken and bakin trainwreck so it's easy for me to be offtrack.
I'll holla

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Im my experience it's all in the draw. Say a plant puts out 200 seeds. Those seeds get spread into 20 packs of 10 seeds per pack. If the ratio for the plant is 50/50 offspring and there is 200 seeds than 100 would be females. There is no way to evenly devise the packs to be 50/50 therefor you will get packs that have different ratios. (this is all in theory judging the 50/50 ratio)
Over the years of bean popping iv came across a Julius caesar pack by Cali connection that I got 1 female from a whole 10 pack. Iv also came across a pack of fire alien by ogr that I popped 5 beans and all were females. Both packs were male/female packs. Iv popped seeds the same why since day one.
With that being said, I think it's somewhat more in how much stress happened to the plant holding the seeds while breeding than the actual seeds being grown within reason. Just like with pheno type express a lot has to do with the breeding that went into the project to make the seeds you are growing. But then again when popping a 10 pack, it's also in the luck of the draw. ~Smf~

Blaze

Blaze

The sex of the seed is determined at the moment of conception - just like every other living creature on planet earth. Environment cannot influence genetics in such a manner, except in very extreme examples, such as exposure to radiation. Now the one exception to this is when you are dealing with hermaphrodites, Environment and stress can influence which gender is expressed, but you still are not altering the genetic code, as hermaphrodites can express as either a male or a female or both at once. Even the supposed crocodile 'study' that many often site as an example of this was found to be fraudulent - in fact it wasn't even a study, it was just a random quote from a gator farmer. Environment influences have no more impact on determining the sex of gators than it does the sex of human beings. I am quite surprised that they myth of environment determining male/female ratios still persists so much in the cannabis community as such a phenomenon would violate some of the most basic principals of biology.

However some research has shown that environmental factors when the seed first forms may influence sex ratios. This would explain why some batches of seeds have very different ratios of males to females. But again once the seed forms, it's sex is set. So when you pop a 10 pack, it very much is the luck of the draw. I mean think of it this way - sex is determine by chromosomes. Does it really make sense that doing something like changing the light spectrum or temperature would really alter an organisms chromosomes and DNA? If it was that simple, genetic engineering would be as easy as shining a flashlight on a frog, or placing it in the fridge. Genetics just do not work that way, plain and simple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom