Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots

• Thread starter Celty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Celty

Celty

Please help! My plants have been very healthy until the last 2 weeks, the lower leaves have started to turn yellow and die and some of the plants are showing spots on the leaves. I've been researching but I can't figure out the problem please help me.

Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 2
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 3
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 4
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 5
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 6
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 7
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 8
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 9
Lower leaves yellowing and some plants have spots 10
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, well i’ll take it your temps and humidity are good, you have airflow,fans... etc..
yes they all seem a bit droopy, could be a sign of watering to frequently? the yellowing of the lower leaves and it kinda looks like it’s creepy up would tell me it’s possible a nitrogen deficiency, could be time to add more, could be a lockout due to overwatering.. etc..
you should post more info about your grow..

Celty

Celty

Yes I have good airflow with fans and temperature around 23c and humidity around 65%. I am using a mars hydro tsw 2000 led light and a mix of ffof and happy frog for the soil. The problems started a few days after transplanting and I did have an issue with overwatering in the beginning so I've made sure only to water when I can feel the top layers of soil are dry. I have the fox farms trio of nutrients and I have given the plants 2 feedings of the grow big since seeing the problems arise and so far I havent seen signs of improvement. I've ordered a soil ph meter to see if it could be a nutritient lockout.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, well let’s start with easy stuff first.
i think your watering too much if only checking a couple inches down before watering, how often do you water?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, well let’s start with easy stuff first.
i think your watering too much if only checking a couple inches down before watering, how often do you water?
also get humidity between 45-50%

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
though i’m concerned about this?
zoom up, it looks like wpm- white powdery mildew? or something which also could be the issue.. carefully look over plants inside out of light and look for white dust on leaves or better yet google it first..

C9B49EC2 B26D 42DF A72E AAAC833FE43D
Celty

Celty

though i’m concerned about this?
zoom up, it looks like wpm- white powdery mildew? or something which also could be the issue.. carefully look over plants inside out of light and look for white dust on leaves or better yet google it first..
Thank you for helping I will get humidity lower and look up wpm and compare with my plants. I could be over watering i was told to water when the first inches of soil are dry which ends up being every other day. I use a gallon jug and give that evenly to all my plants using almost all the water

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i did a quick scan over your photos i’m pretty sure you don’t have wpm.. but still check it out.
i think your watering to frequently, and you may need to up the nutrients but i don’t know how much your giving now?
you could put a fan right up against one of the bags for a day and if you see some sort of the improvement than watering is your problem.
90% of plant issues is usually caused by watering too frequently like deficiencies toxicities pest mold mildew.. etc..

Celty

Celty

i did a quick scan over your photos i’m pretty sure you don’t have wpm.. but still check it out.
i think your watering to frequently, and you may need to up the nutrients but i don’t know how much your giving now?
you could put a fan right up against one of the bags for a day and if you see some sort of the improvement than watering is your problem.
90% of plant issues is usually caused by watering too frequently like deficiencies toxicities pest mold mildew.. etc..
I had them originally in pots with only ffof soil and I wasn't giving any nutrients, since transplanting i gave them quarter doses of the ff grow big once or twice and big bloom a few more times than that but no consistent nurtients. Since the problems started to arise I gave them almost a full dose of the ff grow big about a day and a half ago thinking it was a nitrogen deficiency. Other than that i havent been feeding them

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, can you post a couple new pictures of the plants from today..

Celty

Celty

Im still concerned but my partner says they are looking much happier today I'm not sure if not watering or nutrients helped maybe it was both. My ph soil tester arrived and I'm not sure if its working properly because it shows the meter sitting at 8 being alkaline without being placed in anything and after sitting in the soil for the recommend time, the meter still sits at 8.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

Just to be the contrarian, I was having the exact same symptoms at around week 4, same spots and downturned leaves. But it was very mild. It coincided with my first nutrient feeding in FFOF which is already pretty hot soil. The downturned leaf tips told me it was nitrogen and or nute toxicity, so I went back to plain water for a few waterings and the problem self corrected by the next set of leaves. I just started reintroducing 1/3 strength nutes (3 weeks later) and they're thriving. Just throwing that out there......

Celty

Celty

I did set a fan overnight on the lower right plant and it didnt seem to show any changes that I've noticed.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

Do you know the ph of water going in? FFOF is buffered and my plants do much better around 7 going in than the 6.3 I was ph'ing to before.

Celty

Celty

Do you know the ph of water going in? FFOF is buffered and my plants do much better around 7 going in than the 6.3 I was ph'ing to before.
I dont know specifically the ph because I use the disposable strips to test which has me compare the color of the strip to a chart but it right around 7. The color isnt as green as the 7 on the chart but also not as yellow as the 6 but it looks closer to 7

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, so stop with the flowering nutes..
only feed the veg nutes, probably about 1/4 strength..
only water when those bags are light, like a piece of styrofoam.
plants need a wet/DRY cycle..
give them time to recover, overwatering is stressful to plants..

Celty

Celty

I havent given the plants any of the tiger bloom flower nutes only the veg nutes, grow big, and the organic earthworm casting and bat guano, big bloom but i will take your advice on the usage and not to overwater thank you :) it does seem like just giving them a day to dry out and little extra nitrogen helped so I will now be more careful and start a consistent veg nutrient feeding at 1/4 doses.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

This is what I would do as well. Really,if you just repotted into fresh FFOF I wouldn't give anything right now. Maybe 1/4 strength nutes every 3rd watering, but you should be fine with just water and maybe a little calmag if you're using it. If not no worries, you'll still be fine.

Celty

Celty

This is what I would do as well. Really,if you just repotted into fresh FFOF I wouldn't give anything right now. Maybe 1/4 strength nutes every 3rd watering, but you should be fine with just water and maybe a little calmag if you're using it. If not no worries, you'll still be fine.
They were originally in just ffof and i transplanted to a mixture of half ffof and happy frog and thats when the problems began to arise. Thank you for helping me also :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom