MAC Stomper best female phenohunt

• Thread starter Buzzy12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Day 13, haven't seen much noticeable growth in about a week now. Not a great start for this run.
20221215 094427

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Day 14 of the seedling stage, Day 1 of Veg starts when the lights turn on @ 4 p.m. I'l be giving them some nutrients and beneficial microbes later. Hopefully that helps them grow. I think they've dried out enough for it. I think the mistake I made here was they got overwatered with tap water, silly mistake. They'll be fine.
20221216 094753

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
We're at Day 1 of Veg in my books, Day 15 of growth. Fed the plants last night for the first time since putting them in soil.

Advanced Nutrients
Iguana Juice Grow @ 1 mL/L
Voodoo Juice @ 2 mL/L
Piranha @ 2 mL/L
Tarantula @ 2 mL/L

pH @ 6.0, 200 mL each
20221217 091559

I think they finally had their first day of any noticeable growth since day 6 or so. I also decided to move the light up a bit to lower the PPFD. It's closer to 150-200 for now.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Day 2 of Veg
20221218 091441

It's Day 10 since I cut the Colombian Miracle clones and they're not doing so great, still no signs of roots. I cut a few more this morning. I put a heat map under the dome to get the heat up a bit. I cut these clones with an X-acto blade, dipped them in a 6.0 pH solution of 1 tsp/32 fl oz of Clonex, dipped in Clonex rooting gel, dipped in Hormex powder, put them in the soaked Root Riot cubes with the Clonex nutrient solution, and misted them with Clonex. I made sure I squeezed the cubes after they soaked up the nutrient solution to allow more oxygen into the medium. I think that could be part of my problem with the first set of clones. Hopefully these root in 7 days or so.
20221218 093702

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Day 2 of Veg
View attachment 1312286
It's Day 10 since I cut the Colombian Miracle clones and they're not doing so great, still no signs of roots. I cut a few more this morning. I put a heat map under the dome to get the heat up a bit. I cut these clones with an X-acto blade, dipped them in a 6.0 pH solution of 1 tsp/32 fl oz of Clonex, dipped in Clonex rooting gel, dipped in Hormex powder, put them in the soaked Root Riot cubes with the Clonex nutrient solution, and misted them with Clonex. I made sure I squeezed the cubes after they soaked up the nutrient solution to allow more oxygen into the medium. I think that could be part of my problem with the first set of clones. Hopefully these root in 7 days or so.
View attachment 1312287
I had the same problem, i added a heat mat but its not on a controller and i forgot to check on them. Needless to say, theyre dead now lmao. C'est la vie.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
I had the same problem, i added a heat mat but its not on a controller and i forgot to check on them. Needless to say, theyre dead now lmao. C'est la vie.
It seems to have helped get the heat up for now. I'm using an AC Infinity heat map and it has a dial for low, medium, high. I have it on low and it inceased the temperature from 68°F to 75°F. RH is at 95% right now with the freshly cut clones in there, vents on the dome are closed.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

It seems to have helped get the heat up for now. I'm using an AC Infinity heat map and it has a dial for low, medium, high. I have it on low and it inceased the temperature from 68°F to 75°F. RH is at 95% right now with the freshly cut clones in there, vents on the dome are closed.
Sounds pretty damn ideal to me. The sf heat mats i won just plug in and run all the time. Trying to figure out a solution for that before i snip more clones off any plants and fry those too 🤣

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Why are you misting with cloneX?
Funny I was gonna ask so why spraying em at all ? Let alone with clonex, to much rooting hormones may be one issue your having with getting Roots in clones.
There are two different products that Clonex has, the clone and seedling nutrients and the root promoter mist. I'm using the clone/seedling nutrients and their rooting gel with IBA in it. I wanted to see if it would be worth it to spray the seedlings. At this point it doesn't seem like it. I don't think it's hurting them. I think getting overwatered with tap water early on is what slowed down growth.

At the grow op I worked at the clones got misted twice a day with the Clonex nutrient solution the same way I'm doing it with my clones. Since I increased the RH in my cloner dome to 90-95% the clones have been doing much better. I opened the vents sooner than I should have. Always trying new things to try and get better growth and sometimes it doesn't work out that way. I've never tried the root promoter mist. Certainly something I do not have dialed in quite yet...

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I'm open to any suggestions to help boost root growth, healthy growth early on for seedlings and clones. Always willing to learn.

Moshmen

Moshmen

There are two different products that Clonex has, the clone and seedling nutrients and the root promoter mist. I'm using the clone/seedling nutrients and their rooting gel with IBA in it. I wanted to see if it would be worth it to spray the seedlings. At this point it doesn't seem like it. I don't think it's hurting them. I think getting overwatered with tap water early on is what slowed down growth.

At the grow op I worked at the clones got misted twice a day with the Clonex nutrient solution the same way I'm doing it with my clones. Since I increased the RH in my cloner dome to 90-95% the clones have been doing much better. I opened the vents sooner than I should have. Always trying new things to try and get better growth and sometimes it doesn't work out that way. I've never tried the root promoter mist. Certainly something I do not have dialed in quite yet...

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I'm open to any suggestions to help boost root growth, healthy growth early on for seedlings and clones. Always willing to learn.
Sorry man I’m not ur guy - 1 I’m in no hurry to my stuff to root I grow for the fam and that’s it . 2- I believe 90% of all that enhancing product is mostly marketing - I mean I’m sure some improves things but unless your dialed with environmental issues , media , water, light , genes, ect. All the other stuff is just a waste of money but that’s my opinion and I now it’s not a popular one

Anthem

Anthem

If you want to get better root development I would start out by doing a proper water and dry back. I rarely ever grow from seed but the key to quick development is to force the plant to look for water and nutrients. Here is kind of an example of what not to do. Next time you are in the super market take a look at the green onions specifically the roots. They should al be about 1" or less and large with not small roots coming off them. Why because they were grown hydroponically and probably NFT so the nutrients are right there waiting for the plant when it needs it. This is not ideal for cannabis because the nutrient needs increase as the plant grows and those little bitty roots cannot sustain the plant at peck of flower. The better the dry backs the faster the plant will develop.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
A couple of things learned already from this grow is that starting seeds in an even smaller container with a more porous medium is the best way to start seeds for a soil grow. Last grow I tried six seeds in Root Riot cubes and six seeds in solo cups with seed starter soil. This grow I put the germinated seeds straight into the 0.5 gal containers and ended up overwatering. The solo cups are great, but the even smaller peat based starter cubes seemed to be the best. Once you get roots well established then they can be transplanted into the 0.5 gal containers.

Having more appropriate sized containers for the size of the plant you're trying to water makes it easier to water properly. The key to properly watering soil is heavy and infrequently, forcing the roots to reach for water. It's easy to over do with younger plants and small root systems. They don't need a lot of water in the beginning and I over did it this grow. Not a big deal. It's always good when you learn things through experimentation so it's a win as far as I'm concerned. They're definitely growing better now.
I believe 90% of all that enhancing product is mostly marketing - I mean I’m sure some improves things but unless your dialed with environmental issues , media , water, light , genes, ect. All the other stuff is just a waste of money but that’s my opinion and I now it’s not a popular one
Part of me believes this and part of me believes that some of these products really can help push growth. I'm certainly a believer in Advanced Nutrients product line. I know a decent amount of people think they're too expensive and over hyped, but I know they've helped me produce plenty of high quality flowers over the years. Genetics, environment, and proper watering are the most important factors to growing high quality Cannabis. I've seen a lot of high quality flower produced with different mediums and different nutrients.

chato

chato

I'm confused by the goal you stated in the original post. You're pheno-hunting for the best 6 females from 12 regular seeds. Given a ~ 50/50 ratio of male to female, wouldn't you expect to get about 6 females in total?

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Theres this product called magic green that i have been using for foliar feed and i really love the stuff.
In my experience, there are better brands to use than House and Garden. It seems like Clonex has a bit more in it than that product. Thanks for the suggestion though. That product can be used from seed to harvest where Clonex is not recommended for that. There's more macro, micronutrients, and you get a little Vitamin B1 to help reduce transplant shock. Is any of this really necessary? Not really sure.

As of today, after spraying the seedlings twice a day for 4 days, I'm gonna stop because now I'm starting to see some leaf damage that I think is from the sprays. It does seem to help the clones. Is it much better than just spraying with water? In my experience, not a noticeable difference. Keeping the humidity up around 90% and having the temperature between 70-80° is far more important than spraying them with any nutrient solution.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
I'm confused by the goal you stated in the original post. You're pheno-hunting for the best 6 females from 12 regular seeds. Given a ~ 50/50 ratio of male to female, wouldn't you expect to get about 6 females in total?
The strain I'm growing is not available in feminized seed form (from what I know) so these are regular seeds. One would expect about a 50/50 ratio, but my first phenohunt I had 2 males and 10 females. I was using my 10×10 tent for that grow and had the space for it. I'm using a 4×4 tent this run and I'm gonna be pushing it with 6 plants, but that is the max I think I can fit in there and I'm trying to maximize the space.

I'm really hoping I can start identifying the sex of these plants pretty early on, get rid of the males, and have 6 or less females left for Flower. In my limited experience phenohunting, the best plants going into Flower aren't necessarily going to produce the highest quality flowers. It was in between weeks 2-3 in Flower where I felt like the real winners of the group started to separate themselves from the rest.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Day 5 of Veg, after misting them twice a day since Day 1 of Veg with the Clonex solution, today was the first day I started to see signs of possible nute burn from the sprays. So that's another thing learned this grow. Clonex being used as a spray for seedlings is not beneficial. Today's the first day I'm seeing any signs of roots at the bottom of the containers. They'll be getting nutes again later when the lights turn on. They've dried back enough for it.
20221221 093404

20221221 093430

20221221 093719

Top Bottom