Mainline question

• Thread starter JadedMarxist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Ok with my 2 skunk #1, I've decided to try true mainlining.

I waited untill there were 6 nodes then cut the top at node #2.

The new mains are still short but starting node #2now.

My question is when do I make my 2nd cuts? Do I wait till 4 new nodes and then cut it down to the 2 new main nodes or cut it at the first new main nodes?

Hope you can understand what I'm talking about.

Here a pic of what I've got so far

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
As much as I love this place the search engine does not work at all for me on mobile and I can't find any info on mainline.
I can't help myself I gotta top and top and top. I have some pics here I show tops too short to cut ( for me) and 2 show tops I will cut on this Sweet tooth 5 weeks old from seedling. a KC39 2 weeks into flower from same method and a Cherry Bomb 6 weeks flower about 3 ft tall

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Ok so how long did you wait for your 2nd cuts?

Say I grew mine to 6 nodes then cut at 2nd node, so should I wait till the2 new mains are at 4 new nodes then cut them to the 2nd new nodes or the first new nodes?

I'm sure this is very confusing so any advise is much appreciated.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Also how many cuts are you doing I've heard the magic number is 16 mains so 4 cuts? I may just get to 8 mains and see how it goes.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Also how many cuts are you doing I've heard the magic number is 16 mains so 4 cuts? I may just get to 8 mains and see how it goes.
No magic number for me I keep cutting and growing them until they're tall enough to turn. You can't keep a good plant down they just keep growing exponentially as they spread out. I only have 5 ft under my 1000w hps so I have to keep them short. If there's room to cut without clipping the top of the next pair of shoots, if I do clip the tops it seems to slow down the development of the next set of tops so I wait until there's enough separation to cut safely.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Thanks very much. Fortunately I have nothing but time to veg as long as I want to or need to so the slowing of growth for a bit is not a concern.

I'm also limited to the same space you seem to have but I was worried about heat so I dimmed my 1000w ballast to 400w and bought a new 400w bulb even tho it came with 2x 1000w bulbs one MH 1 hps. I should note I'm only flowering 2 plants at a time as I can't trust the commercial dispensos to be honest about there tech and strains, for my hard to please self. Lol

How hot does your space get running the 1000w?

I have yet to even try to see what my temps would be. Would it even make a difference for 2 little plants?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks very much. Fortunately I have nothing but time to veg as long as I want to or need to so the slowing of growth for a bit is not a concern.

I'm also limited to the same space you seem to have but I was worried about heat so I dimmed my 1000w ballast to 400w and bought a new 400w bulb even tho it came with 2x 1000w bulbs one MH 1 hps. I should note I'm only flowering 2 plants at a time as I can't trust the commercial dispensos to be honest about there tech and strains, for my hard to please self. Lol

How hot does your space get running the 1000w?

I have yet to even try to see what my temps would be. Would it even make a difference for 2 little plants?
I have an open air room about12'x20' but low 5'4" ceiling places & ducts and shit with 5x5 Sq panda plastic frames I divide my spaces up with doubled up blackout curtains so each room is isolated but not air sealed. I don't like anything above 83f. The humidity gets to be an issue twice a year too high summer. Dehumidifier. Too low in the winter humidifiers. When it gets too high or low other measures have to be taken to keep the girls happy. My high would be 85f before I cut back my ballast I'd add cool air/remove hot air extra fans and such to keep good air flow.

420charlie

420charlie

Looks like you’re just a couple days ahead of me, I’m mainlining clones.
I plan to wait until the fourth or fifth node for my second cut. This is the cut that dictates your spread of your hub, the space between colas in the end. I’ll only be cutting back one or two nodes, as soon as these branches have reached the length I want.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Ok your space is way bigger than mine lol I'm in a tent 3x3x5.5h. With the 400w going I'm steady at 20C and 45%rh night time it's 17C with still 45%rh. Im gonna change out my bulb try the 1000w and see.

@420 I was thinking of waiting untill 4or 5 then cut backtothe 2nd just so I'm not putting to much stress on these supposed femizied hermes seeds I bought lol (back in the days fem were basically hermed plants.) we frowned upon them muddying up the genetics Imo. Now that's all you can get it seems.

Iam excited about this mainline tech tho so far.

To think after a 20year absence to growing that the techniques have come so far.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Looks like you’re just a couple days ahead of me, I’m mainlining clones.
I plan to wait until the fourth or fifth node for my second cut. This is the cut that dictates your spread of your hub, the space between colas in the end. I’ll only be cutting back one or two nodes, as soon as these branches have reached the length I want.
View attachment 958449
I don't understand why you cut off its solar panels ? The more leaf the more power imo cutting the leaves off that early to me is confusing as why and where this came from.

420charlie

420charlie

I don't understand why you cut off its solar panels ? The more leaf the more power imo cutting the leaves off that early to me is confusing as why and where this came from.
Yeah, it’s more for the end result but I agree, it’s counterintuitive to remove all the fan leaves, I’ve left a number of mine and will only be removing as nodes become more vigorous.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I've left mine also its more for canopy management. The plant can grow multiple main colas, they all share the top top. Plus they supposed to grow all them colas evenly. Google nugbuckets or just mainline!

It reallyy only a combo of lst and topping, but the topping is not done randomly it's specific and the stuff I've read about makes sense to me.

I don't like the stress part of topping as I'm afraid of hermes but this is all done within the first 4 weeks after that it's just waiting on harvest like the dwc tech it's just convienence.

Why run hydroponics when it's only really effective when using man made chemical nutrients?

20years s ago I read about lst as a sub for topping I started doing it had even ran one 14 foot plant up to ceiling then 5 feet across the ceiling ppl said it would not work but they were wrong.

Man I wish I could get on planetskunk old forums to get my old grow pics ha room full of bb Shiva shanti, Double gum and to fill the empty space 50 lowriders...... Good times

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I've heard mainlining clones Wasent really benifitial as the purpose is to have every cola the same distance from the roots and needed to be symmetrical plant from seeds and unlike clones?

420charlie

420charlie

I've heard mainlining clones Wasent really benifitial as the purpose is to have every cola the same distance from the roots and needed to be symmetrical plant from seeds and unlike clones?
It’s a more challenging process, all you need to do is pinch/bend the higher branch to make them even. I’ve tied my main stem at a 90 to make both branches the same height. Some of my nodes are quite close together. Others not so much.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
As much as I love this place the search engine does not work at all for me on mobile and I can't find any info on mainline.

Some good info here in my thread.. I learned just recently and having success

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Thanks I'll give it read.

@420 I thought it looked like you pinched a branch in your pic and looks different than mine makes sense now. Never tried pinching branches before always tied my girls up or topped.

Now these days being much older and have more time and patience. I want to experiment as much as possible. Hence why I'm trying dwc for the first time along side mainlining in soil and cloning as I never had room to clone when I was a kid. First 2 clones I've done and both rooted for me 2 for 2 so far.

Maybe later try some serious breeding if I ever find a plant I can't live without.

Wanna find some ducksfoot mj and grow that.

Maybe now that I'm older I wanna try just to try it but try some grafting blows my mind to grow multiple strains on the same plant.

Wish I never wasted what experience and time I've gotten only to really just grow mediocre bud trying to speed things up and trying to profit a bit too. Instead of perfecting my tech and be growing quads by now.

By the time I actually get to prefect everything I'll be so close to death I won't be able to enjoy my perfected tech lol.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
My understanding is fan leaves store nutrients or power for when the plant can not photosynthesize at night... Old school growers will probably disagree with me, but we suppliment with so many nutrients, and unnatural light cycles,(mine is 24/0) I believe the plant does not need as many fan leaves to continue to grow. I would be interested to hear what others think.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My understanding is fan leaves store nutrients or power for when the plant can not photosynthesize at night... Old school growers will probably disagree with me, but we suppliment with so many nutrients, and unnatural light cycles,(mine is 24/0) I believe the plant does not need as many fan leaves to continue to grow. I would be interested to hear what others think.
I only cut them off if they're not of use any longer, lower turning yellow or problem leaves that are covering sections of the plant I want more light to. I'd rather just bend a leaf under than chop if its not in the way of other growth sites. I spread mine out and tie them down to expose more plant to light and only really trim after 3-4 weeks of flower even then only a leaf of three here and there if they're covering bud sites. I've always been told that leaves provide the plant power from the sun/light and the more panels to catch the light the bigger and faster they grow. I'm old though So a lot of my knowledge may be out of date with today's modern grows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom