Mainlining - the beginning....

• Thread starter Bema
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bema

Bema

Having read Dr Coco's mainlining instructions (link) I've decided to try it. The main reason is not the yield but limiting the height without impacting yield. Having topped vegetables in the past, I know it works but it's kind of scary doing it to one of my girls. I bit the bullet and did it.
Here is a video of the act....I still wince when it gets chopped. I'll keep this post updated with progress.

Bema

Bema

Background
This is an auto amnesia haze grown from seed bought from ILGM. a strong grower in soil, I'm using a super soil and adding teas. The growroom has eight 50w grow LEDs that each draw 50w from the plug. I'm also using compost and worm teas and hoping to get the microbiology rocking.

Day 1.
The plant is still alive and I can see the new start of the leaves, they are about the size of a pinhead.
The top half of the topping was put into rooting hormone and into a shot glass of water. It too has not wilted and is looking quite good. If it roots, this auto cutting will be used for seeds crossed with afghan regular pollen or I may just collect more amnesia haze autos with the amnesia haze auto feminised pollen I collected during the last grow.

It's baltic outside - temperatures sitting just above freezing. I'm always pleased when the shortest day passes, I know it's going to get better.

Bema

Bema

Day 2.
The growth in just 48 hours is surprising. In some discussions, the growth in the middle node is to be rubbed away. I'll do some reading and update tomorrow.

IMG 4706

Bema

Bema

According to Dr Coco.

"Remove the growth tips on the second node
For manifold training we will preserve the growth tips from the first and the third node on each of the two branches. However, the growth tips on the second node need to be removed. You can trim these as soon as you can cut it away without injuring the adjacent fan leaf. You want to keep all the leaves that you can to power the growth of your plant."

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

I mainlined a photo and I topped and cut everything but the nodes and fans right underneath where I topped

Bema

Bema

Never heard of mainlining a autoflower I wanna watch this. How many days are u from sprouting
Dropped into water on the 19th Nov. so 5 weeks.
The temps here are low so evening in the grow room is around 10C and it gets to about 25C. the cold may delay any flowering.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

That is kinda cold but not killer can u do something about ur heat temp for just night

Bema

Bema

Day 3.
What a difference - it's looking great and the growth is remarkable.
IMG 4708

Bema

Bema

Day 4.
The growth rate continues and I've taken out the lower axial buds; they easily broke off with a gentle rub. (circled)
IMG 4713

Bema

Bema

It's doing well, so much so I've done the same with two other plants.
IMG 4722

Bema

Bema

The top photo is a blueberry auto and the lower is a northern light auto.

IMG 4723

IMG 4724

S

SymbioticMan

All I do is manifold! You get more top colas and you're able to optimize your lighting.

I'm happy you didn't take out the bottom fans leaves just yet like some people do. It's unnecessary until the top is fully cover over those leaves and they're no longer getting direct light.
Never remove an energy source until they become obsolete.
More leaves equals more photosynthesis equal fast growth!

Bema

Bema

It's now growing like a weed and the training has begun! In the photo below you can see a wire has been added at "ground" level. The foam ties will attach to this wire. (see photo below for the after photo. I'll tidy up the training when it's grown a little more.

Just in case you're wondering what the name 'Chan' on the pot behind represents, it's a Jack Herer and I've named it Jackie Chan for my records. The amnesia haze I'm mainline training is called Blur What????? don't you all name your plants?

IMG 4757

IMG 4759

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

What is main lining? just topping or is it trying to get all nodes coming off one area?

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Just done some reading up look forward to seeing how you get on

Top Bottom