Mainlining - the beginning....

• Thread starter Bema
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bema

Bema

One of the girls is now in flower!
Looking at the photo there is a black zip tie - this is connecting the wooden 'chopsticks' together. You can see the green soft plant tie to the left of the zip tie. These are easy to move and gentle on the plants.

My first (ever) grow yielded about 1oz a plant, so I'll be able to compare yields although I have changed a few other things too: lights from florescent to LED and from standard soil to super soil, oh damn, I'm also using compost teas and some Korean Natural Farming (KNF) amendments. So it's completely different....
Oh well....it's a non-scientific experiment.

IMG 4913

Bema

Bema

My whole grow room looks like a miniature scaffolding company just moved on site.

The video below is not perfect but gives a better idea of what I've done so far

Munch517

Munch517

I've had some good luck with mainlining. I've been topping each plant four times to get 16 tops each and putting 4 plants in a 4x4 SCROG. Check the link to my grow diary for pics.

I can't tell, did you do 4 tops?

Bema

Bema

The northern lights auto harvest was poor. 1 oz wet. I'm not going blame mainlining. There are a few things it could be: The main culprit is cold, for the first month or so the minimum temperature was about 8C (46F). After the heater was installed that increased to 18C / 64F. The potting soil (super soil) also compressed down to about half the depth of the pot, limiting the amount of root space.

It's the first of the plants to be harvested so I'll keep you posted.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Main lining wasnt the problem in my opinion either but main lining them and then flipping so early would of had an effect in my opinion. I would never train a plant if I was to flip that small

Bema

Bema

Main lining wasnt the problem in my opinion either but main lining them and then flipping so early would of had an effect in my opinion. I would never train a plant if I was to flip that small
Hi Needhelpguy

I think you're right they were just too small but these are autos so I've got a clock ticking and no flipping. I've closely followed Dr Coco's guide (link) to mainlining. This was a (non-scientific) experiment specifically on Autos as there are a lot of myths about what works and does not with autos. I've just planted up some more autos and this time, I'll use low stress training and see if the yield improves to gather more data for my specific grow room/environment. My challenge at the moment is the grow room height so I need some way to limit height. I've a few autos that were up in lights and I had no choice but to supercrop them so the branches bent over. Again, more info, they should be ready for harvest in about 2 or 3 weeks

Thanks again for the input! 👍

BigCube

BigCube

I find equal or better results just training a plant. With help from a net or some wire. I find I lose less time and growth than when topping.

Still nice and low and controlled, but less risky and faster than topping. But truly more difficult as you are almost everyday in there training. But I love spending time with my plants 🤣

BigCube

BigCube

Better than nothing 👍

Any particular reason you grow auto?
They are awfully small and picky plants.

Bema

Bema

Better than nothing 👍

Any particular reason you grow auto?
They are awfully small and picky plants.
I'm a newbie, this is my second grow. It sounded like autos were ideal. The reason i think its cold is that the autos nearest the heater are significantly larger, they may be ready for harvest in a week or two.
I have an Afghan and Jack Herer regular and I'm hoping they can go into the grow room in the next month or so. I'll let them veg until they are a reasonable size and then change the lighting to 12/12.
It will be interesting to see the difference in yield.

Top Bottom