Maintaining Mother plants health. Any breeders please?

• Thread starter AliasAO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AliasAO

Maintaining Mother plants health. Any breeders please but anyones welcome

Im interested to know what is the best way to keep a stable full of MOTHERS happy?

Im hoping some BREEDERS will chime in and help me out here. Ive got one MOTHER [but i plan to add another 3 or 4] so far under a T5 that im transplanting today into some more soil and a slightly larger pot.

3 questions for anyone who could help:

What is an ideal size container or pot?

Should the MOTHERS be watered with NUTES every watering?

How many times should a MOTHER be topped if any?

thanx for the look and time.

--AO

HortiLab

HortiLab

true grit

true grit

I'm torn on container size, but I prefer smaller and gradually work to larger until the mom is ridiculous and I need to start a new one. Generally (with coco) I start in 1g and keep in there until they are drinking their water daily and are HUGE (literally 3'-4' bushes in 1g). At that point I uppot to 2g or root prune.

Root pruning is a great option to keep moms in check- when they get too rootbound- I pull out the plant and shave off a good 1-1 1/2" of roots all around a repot with fresh coco. Smartpots like HL said are great, i just prefer to root prune which is not as possible in smart pots, some of which ya dont need- but those who use em know how GIANT of a plant you can grow in 3/5g smart pot. Now that Im happy with a hanful of moms, Im considering just dropping them in 7g soil pots so i only have to water once a week or so...who knows. Easier to maintain.

And most def top- if not taking cuts I still pull 5-10 cuts per plant regularly to train a nice bush full of tops for cuts.

A

AliasAO

The bigger the better...smart pots prevent root bound plants.

Depends on your nutes and how rich your soil mix is. Lower nutes before cutting clones.

To make a mother nice & bushy top new growth at least a couple of times.

:harvest:

Thanx HortiLab I appreciate the info knowlegde is golden. Right now Im Using Fox Farms Grow Big in CoCo based soil I usually water with nutes every other time. ex: water, nutes, water, nutes

When you take clones from your mothers are you able to cut, dip into the rooting gel then put the clone straight into a rockwool cube? Or do you have to put it into a clone machine to get the roots going?

I'm torn on container size, but I prefer smaller and gradually work to larger until the mom is ridiculous and I need to start a new one. Generally (with coco) I start in 1g and keep in there until they are drinking their water daily and are HUGE (literally 3'-4' bushes in 1g). At that point I uppot to 2g or root prune.

Root pruning is a great option to keep moms in check- when they get too rootbound- I pull out the plant and shave off a good 1-1 1/2" of roots all around a repot with fresh coco. Smartpots like HL said are great, i just prefer to root prune which is not as possible in smart pots, some of which ya dont need- but those who use em know how GIANT of a plant you can grow in 3/5g smart pot. Now that Im happy with a hanful of moms, Im considering just dropping them in 7g soil pots so i only have to water once a week or so...who knows. Easier to maintain.

And most def top- if not taking cuts I still pull 5-10 cuts per plant regularly to train a nice bush full of tops for cuts.

I appreciate your opinion Grit. Im using CoCo myself and I just transplanted 1 XJ13, 1 Sour Alien, and 1 Fire OG into 9x9 pots. When you feed your moms do you use Nutes everytime or do you have an alternating schedule. Do you feed you MOMS any supplments besides VEG nutes?

Today I attempted to take clones from my current XJ females that are about to be flipped over to flower in two days but they are looking limp and sad.I dont have a cloning machine or propagation dome. I bought rooting gel and rockwool cubes today tho.

When I took the cuttings I used A clean razor then I dipped them into the rooting gel and put them straight into the rockwool cubes that had been soaked in 5.5Ph adjusted water under my T5 flourscent light. At first they looked healthy but within 30 mins they were limp.

Why are my clones responding so poorly and wilting?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I'm torn on container size, but I prefer smaller and gradually work to larger until the mom is ridiculous and I need to start a new one.

That's cheating! lol
(Actually, it was the story of my life until I started the root-pruning, like you suggest)
I like to keep moms from seedlings if at all possible, for they're easier to train into small fat bushes.

Here's a nice link:

A

AliasAO

That's cheating! lol
(Actually, it was the story of my life until I started the root-pruning, like you suggest)
I like to keep moms from seedlings if at all possible, for they're easier to train into small fat bushes.

Here's a nice link:

Thanx for the link ALTITUDE.

Are there are golden tips or rules about raising or training mothers that you can share with a first timer like myself? Anythings you know now that you wish someone told you when you first started raising your moms?

Thanx

--AO

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

They don't have to be MONSTERS, but keeping them small AND healthy takes a little practice.

If they a dark green due to high Nitrogen content, they will take forever to root. (not ALWAYS the case, but a general rule). Take cuts after you've watered your girls, not after feeding them.

Feed-water-water-feed-water-water is the pattern that works well for me, but occasionally I have to feed-water-feed.

I really prefer organic nutrients to help avoid salt buildup in the medium over long periods of time. The occasional flush with an actual flushing agent is good for them, and I follow it up with a very mild fert solution.

I would not hesitate to use chemical warfare on bugs or fungus if organic methods did not work; by the time cuts from these moms reach maturity and flower completely, the traces of chemical will be so minute that they will not affect the consumer's health. I may get crucified for that statement, but if it comes down to saving an elite cut or a favorite strain, I am not going to f#%$ around with disease or pests any more. Lost a couple great cuts while I was in mamby-pamby land, looking for some self-confidence for me, the JACKWAGON! haha

I prefer pinching over topping, in most cases, but not with moms. I have a wi-fi that is way too tall and got out of control because I only pinched her for the first 6 months. I would LOVE to throw her into flower, and just may do that in the next couple weeks. At a year old, I've taken so many clones off her that she is easily the branchiest cannabis plant I have ever seen up close. Mad props to OGRaskal for this strain. Here she is:

DSCN2705.JPG
DSCN2703.JPG

That's a 15-gal plastic pot, and I just actually chucked her in there a couple months ago, her and the 5 gallon smart pot that was her home for so long. The roots grow right through the smart pot, but will eventually become bound in that plastic container. That's why I may just bloom her.

Hope this helps. Peace.

A

AliasAO

They don't have to be MONSTERS, but keeping them small AND healthy takes a little practice.

If they a dark green due to high Nitrogen content, they will take forever to root. (not ALWAYS the case, but a general rule). Take cuts after you've watered your girls, not after feeding them.

Feed-water-water-feed-water-water is the pattern that works well for me, but occasionally I have to feed-water-feed.

I really prefer organic nutrients to help avoid salt buildup in the medium over long periods of time. The occasional flush with an actual flushing agent is good for them, and I follow it up with a very mild fert solution.

I would not hesitate to use chemical warfare on bugs or fungus if organic methods did not work; by the time cuts from these moms reach maturity and flower completely, the traces of chemical will be so minute that they will not affect the consumer's health. I may get crucified for that statement, but if it comes down to saving an elite cut or a favorite strain, I am not going to f#%$ around with disease or pests any more. Lost a couple great cuts while I was in mamby-pamby land, looking for some self-confidence for me, the JACKWAGON! haha

Hope this helps. Peace.

Shit mamby - pamby land is never any good especially when it comes to losing prescious genetics.The info is def appreciated and it helps.I was actually planning on ordering some greencure and just giving my moms a good spray down once or twice a month.

Do you think that would be suffient for Pm amd pest defense?

That link for the bonsai mums was money, Im def gonna train my newmums so they grow short and wide. Im just rather confused about his cloning method regarding the soil and watering with the ferts and growth hormones.

I know how to take the cuttings and dip them in rooting gel but im missing out on what is the most practical way to root the clones. should they be put straight into a soil pot covered with a bag under 24 hour lights?

or is there something im missing? I have rockwool cubes, rooting gel and a clone tray bottomalong with a T5 FLO. Am I missing anything?

your MUM looks wild and she looks like she will have a nice yeild once u put her into flowering.

What strain was she that you got from OGR?I cant wait for his beans to drop may/june.

Whats the difference of pinching vs topping??

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

GreenCure = awesome non-toxic control of PM. DON'T overdo it!!!
Eagle20 = Deadly POISON that will rid your plant systemically of PM forever. Use it on moms only, and wait at least 30 days before taking cuts for production.

Azamax (organic) has been an effective pest prevention for me so far, so I don't know much about poison for bugs, except the Dr Doom bug bombs don't do much against mites or thrips except piss them off for a bit.

A

AliasAO

GreenCure = awesome non-toxic control of PM. DON'T overdo it!!!
Eagle20 = Deadly POISON that will rid your plant systemically of PM forever. Use it on moms only, and wait at least 30 days before taking cuts for production.

Azamax (organic) has been an effective pest prevention for me so far, so I don't know much about poison for bugs, except the Dr Doom bug bombs don't do much against mites or thrips except piss them off for a bit.

i am not going to overdo the greencure. only in small moderaton then slightly larger doses if neccesary.

I have heard of Eagle20. I think im going to have to order it on ebay bc it doesnt ship to Cali.

What dose do you use of Eagle20 when you spray. How much Eagle20 do you add per liter or per gallon of water?

Have you used greencure before?

Im book Marking azamax.

Info much appreciated AF :bongsmi:

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
hey alias here is something always nice to try,its what i do as well..don't really keep the big mothers!! unless you need to take 20 clones a pop i simply take clones and always have them in veg growing..they never get bigger that my size before flip,then before flip take some clones and keep it going!! saves space and the need for those big ole momma's!! this doesn't work for everyone,but i love it and rarely have big moms around..except like nowish right before the great outdoors..big moms are key ;)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Use eagle20 as per mfg's instructions and wear hazmat gear :)

V

vancerz

I have used a lot of shit on my plants to kill PM the best cheapest cure I found that works for long periods of time is a microbe tea spray I have yet to get reinfected.

I spay my plants once a month and they are rocking PM free.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Nice

I have used a lot of shit on my plants to kill PM the best cheapest cure I found that works for long periods of time is a microbe tea spray I have yet to get reinfected.

Great White makes for an excellent PM prevention! DO you know if it actually destroys the PM, or just makes it impossibly for it to manifest itself on the plant surface?

F

froggy

Hey altitudefarmer, would you mind sharing your feeding schedule for your mothers?

thanks

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Sure, Froggy.

I almost never go above a 1 EC (500ppm using the .5 ratio) with my mothers, and I try to keep the lights close enough to keep 'em from stretching, but far enough to slow growth a little. If your moms are smaller than mine (24-30"), I'd keep the EC even lower than that. You'll get a feel for them after a while; the idea is just enough food to keep 'em healthy, but not enough to invigorate their growth.

I am back to brewing organic teas for my girls.
I fill a 5-gal bucket with tapwater that's been allowed to sit out 24-36 hours to evaporate off the chlorine. I usually bubble it for a few hours, also, by adding an air stone and pump.
I add 6 tbsp of Fox Farm Peace of Mind Starter dry fertilizer (3-4-3), 2 tsp molasses, 2 tsp Age Old water-soluble Mycorrizhae, 1 tps epsom salt, and sometimes I also add an enzyme (at about 5ml/gal).
This mix will bubble-brew for at least 24 hours, but no longer than 48. When it's had enough time, the EC is usually around 1.8-2 (900-1000ppm), with a pH of about 7.6. The mix should be a little frothy after 24 hours, and there should also be brown fungal growth on the airstone/hose/bucket sides- that is GOOD stuff, do not panic. I dilute it with RO or chlorine-free tapwater until it is around 500 ppm (1 EC), and set the pH between 6.5-6.8. I also top-dress the Roots Organic soil once every 6 weeks or so with a tbsp of dolomite lime, to insure there's enough cal/mag, and to keep the pH stable.
Every 6-8 weeks, I also like to use a flushing agent on my moms, to prevent toxic salt buildup. Watering twice between feedings really helps. I also use humic/fulvic acids on watering (not feeding) days.

So, the regimen goes like this.
1. Roots organic soil and plain water (or a light humic/fulvic/molasses mix) until the RO begins to run out of nutrients. This usually takes 3-6 weeks, depending on strain and container size.
2. Organic tea- as described
3. plain water
4. Water with humic/fulvic/molasses
5. repeat steps 2-5 indefinitely.

You may bump up the nutrients for your moms, or lower them, depending on what strains you're running. I keep an eye out daily for deficiencies, pests, and disease on all my plants. Sometimes I do throw in an extra feed, but never twice in a row. I also try to clone a day or two after step 4 or 5, so the plants are a little hungry and the cuts root faster.

If it seems my mamas need a pretty potent dose of nutrients, I will also occasionally add some Age Old Grow (12-6-6) to the mix. I still do not go above 1.2 EC when I do this, and only that high on a big mama.

Hope this helps; holler if you have any other questions.

V

vancerz

Great White makes for an excellent PM prevention! DO you know if it actually destroys the PM, or just makes it impossibly for it to manifest itself on the plant surface?

I remember reading other people saying it stops PM from infecting the plant surface, I dont actually know if it destroys them, I never used it personally to kill PM only prevent it, It would be a cool test though.

F

froggy

Thank man. I've been trying to figure out the best way to feed the moms with ok success. I'll give this a shot. Thanks

A

AliasAO

hey alias here is something always nice to try,its what i do as well..don't really keep the big mothers!! unless you need to take 20 clones a pop i simply take clones and always have them in veg growing..they never get bigger that my size before flip,then before flip take some clones and keep it going!! saves space and the need for those big ole momma's!! this doesn't work for everyone,but i love it and rarely have big moms around..except like nowish right before the great outdoors..big moms are key ;)

Thats a great Idea that I will def put to the test being as I have 1 T5 Flo with limited space. Im planning on also doing the bonzia mom method to keep them small and producing nice upright cuttings.

Makes alot of since to let them rock out for awhile then throw them outdoors to really nug up. :confused0054: Im going to have to adapt to that once I move to another home with a private back backyard.

Thanx for the info Vancerz.

Can you be specific? what is the Tea called and where do you buy it from?

Does it have any adverse effects on the plant? and does it attract any pests?

Hey altitudefarmer, would you mind sharing your feeding schedule for your mothers?

thanks
Great call Froggy I was going to ask myself.

Sure, Froggy.

I almost never go above a 1 EC (500ppm using the .5 ratio) with my mothers, and I try to keep the lights close enough to keep 'em from stretching, but far enough to slow growth a little. If your moms are smaller than mine (24-30"), I'd keep the EC even lower than that. You'll get a feel for them after a while; the idea is just enough food to keep 'em healthy, but not enough to invigorate their growth.

I am back to brewing organic teas for my girls.
I fill a 5-gal bucket with tapwater that's been allowed to sit out 24-36 hours to evaporate off the chlorine. I usually bubble it for a few hours, also, by adding an air stone and pump.
I add 6 tbsp of Fox Farm Peace of Mind Starter dry fertilizer (3-4-3), 2 tsp molasses, 2 tsp Age Old water-soluble Mycorrizhae, 1 tps epsom salt, and sometimes I also add an enzyme (at about 5ml/gal).
This mix will bubble-brew for at least 24 hours, but no longer than 48. When it's had enough time, the EC is usually around 1.8-2 (900-1000ppm), with a pH of about 7.6. The mix should be a little frothy after 24 hours, and there should also be brown fungal growth on the airstone/hose/bucket sides- that is GOOD stuff, do not panic. I dilute it with RO or chlorine-free tapwater until it is around 500 ppm (1 EC), and set the pH between 6.5-6.8. I also top-dress the Roots Organic soil once every 6 weeks or so with a tbsp of dolomite lime, to insure there's enough cal/mag, and to keep the pH stable.
Every 6-8 weeks, I also like to use a flushing agent on my moms, to prevent toxic salt buildup. Watering twice between feedings really helps. I also use humic/fulvic acids on watering (not feeding) days.

So, the regimen goes like this.
1. Roots organic soil and plain water (or a light humic/fulvic/molasses mix) until the RO begins to run out of nutrients. This usually takes 3-6 weeks, depending on strain and container size.
2. Organic tea- as described
3. plain water
4. Water with humic/fulvic/molasses
5. repeat steps 2-5 indefinitely.

You may bump up the nutrients for your moms, or lower them, depending on what strains you're running. I keep an eye out daily for deficiencies, pests, and disease on all my plants. Sometimes I do throw in an extra feed, but never twice in a row. I also try to clone a day or two after step 4 or 5, so the plants are a little hungry and the cuts root faster.

If it seems my mamas need a pretty potent dose of nutrients, I will also occasionally add some Age Old Grow (12-6-6) to the mix. I still do not go above 1.2 EC when I do this, and only that high on a big mama.

Hope this helps; holler if you have any other questions.

Thanx for the regimen, this helps alot especially paired with the bonsia method you recommended. I have 3 mother cuttings that were just transplanted into some Royal Gold Basement CoCo based medium.

Can you explain what EC means and ellaborate alittle bit on the PPM topic? I really need to get a PPM METER but I also need to know what Im shooting for and how to calculate it per gallon. would be appreciated if you can give me somewhat of a crash course explanation?

I am planning on trying your tea recipe and air stone method of feeding your mothers. Can you retailor your mom feeeding regimen for me to show what YOU would mix for (3) Mothers in 9'x9'x11' pots using coco medium.

Lastly can you explain what enzymes you supplement in?

Thanx agian Altitude. All help is much appreciated

Use eagle20 as per mfg's instructions and wear hazmat gear :)

Hazmat gear shit.lol.

Is it ok for me to spray them in the tent or do I need to take them outside to spray them? And do I need to buy a sprayer or can i get away with a garden spray bottle?

Latest posts

Top Bottom