Malachi enters the MPB club

• Thread starter Malachi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Malachi

This thread will be an ongoing journey for me entering the realm of the MPB. I am currently in the planning stages and am gathering up supplies. I plan on doing a 6-plant medical grow with the Doubled's inspired bucket system. I currently have 2- 1000W Galaxy ballasts and 4- 600W galaxy ballasts. I plan on buying another 6-1000's. I am going to run the eye hort. dual-arc bulbs in the 1000's and the 600's in the corners will run eye hort. HPS lamps.

My system I have designed is setup like the Doubled's system except I have a control bucket setup outside the grow room with a float valve and a 40 gallon res. I am going to use to feed the control bucket. My central drainpipe is going to be slanted slightly and drain directly back into the control bucket. I am hoping to keep the buckets on the floor this way because I only have 7 ft ceilings. I will have to experiment with the drainage and may have to slightly elevate them.

My room is 14x16 and I plan on running it sealed without cooltubes. What kind of AC should I get to cool this space. I am picking up a 1/4 HP chiller this weekend along with some strong box totes and 3.5 gallon buckets. I am hoping to have this system up and running by June 1. Also a strain suggestion would be helpful. I have access to cuts of Indiana Bubblegum, Cheese, Raskal's OG, William's Wonder (currently sexing), LA Woman, Power Kush and Lemon Skunk. I just ordered some Herijuana and Killing Fields from Sannie as well and have some KKSC x The White in seed form also. I am kinda curious how you guys think the herijuana would do in a MPB? I do want to limit it to 1 strain to I can dial in the nutes more specificly. Thanks for the help guys.

L

luvinlife

right on malachi! cant wait to see dd trees malachi style.......

E

easypleasie

Go go Malachi! I just can't get enough of all these setups. Personally, I'd love to see anything from Sannie in the mpbs. I have a few of his strains that I might try in the buckets one day.

When do you expect to get the show on the road?

Note: Last time I checked, I think the horti dual arc bulbs are only suppose to be used horizontally...maybe it's the horti blues? Things may have changed but def look into it cause those are pricey bulbs! Also, you'll get more penetration just using a straight up 1k hps bulb. That dual arc is really a 600 and 400 bulb put in one, from what i have read. Either way, it should be a cool grow :)

M

Malachi

Hey buddy sounds fun goodluck , I'll be following

Yea man I am pumped, I think this will be loads of fun.

right on malachi! cant wait to see dd trees malachi style.......

Me too bro, me too

Go go Malachi! I just can't get enough of all these setups. Personally, I'd love to see anything from Sannie in the mpbs. I have a few of his strains that I might try in the buckets one day.

When do you expect to get the show on the road?

Note: Last time I checked, I think the horti dual arc bulbs are only suppose to be used horizontally...maybe it's the horti blues? Things may have changed but def look into it cause those are pricey bulbs! Also, you'll get more penetration just using a straight up 1k hps bulb. That dual arc is really a 600 and 400 bulb put in one, from what i have read. Either way, it should be a cool grow :)

Well I am setting this up at a buddies location for now because I don't have the space. I think he plans on pulling his gear the 3rd week of May so it will be about that time I get in there and start construction. Right now I am just picking up stuff here and there and reading as much as possible. I am really curious about an AC unit, I am looking a a 2.5 ton split but I am not sure if that will be enough BTU's.

M

MedicalINFO

I just set up my mpb and I have 7 ft 2" ceilings. It's working out so far so good. I'm not sur I grasp your controll bucket theory. Your only going to have a 40 gallon res?

thanks

E

easypleasie

May will be here before you know it!

Get a 3 ton if you can, bro. As an average, add 4000 btus for every 1k of light...plus you'll need some extra btus for humidifiers and stuff...it's also nice to have a little surplus for the Summer months. Don't buy a cheapo unit!

I like the control bucket idea to save on vertical space. Are you using it to control the water level in the mini-res? One thing I really like about raising your plants up is you have some crawl space to get around the plants.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I may not be much help here but I still wanna ride this to the end. Malachi goes MPB, Yup I'm in!

I'd wish you luck but with your skills who needs it !!:mmm

Fred

M

Malachi

Well I am going to use 27-gallon strong box totes with 3.5 gallon buckets filled with hydroton. The idea is to have the whole system recirculating and returning to the control bucket (a 27-gallon tote). The 40-gallon res will be elevated and attached to a float valve in the control bucket. The idea is to keep the system topped off with the 40-gallon res. My thoughts are to keep the nutrient solution in the res at about 5.0 to compensate for the PH up swings when the plants feed. It's one of those things where I will have to experiment with different PH levels at different feeding points in the plants life to keep the PH in the system between like 5.5 and 6.0

S

SouthernFarms

Hope you post lots of pics as you start the build Malachi. Best of luck to you on your MPB Adventure.

S

SouthernFarms

Oh wow EP. I didn't realize that about those bulbs. Thanks for the info.

M

Malachi

I have been doing some reading and I can't seem to find where it says that it is a horizontal only bulb. Most bulbs will say it if they are. I am really hoping that I can run these vertical. I know Texas Kid runs these, I am pretty sure he runs most of his bulbs vertical so I will have to PM and get some clarity.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Well, this is a bit confusing. Several websites list the lamp as being horizontal mount only. Such as:

"1000W Super Blue Dual High Pressure Sodium Light Bulb - LU1000MH/HTL/EN
Lamp Code: LU1000MH/HTL/EN
Operating Position: Horizontal +/- 30 deg.
Lamp Base: Mogul E39
Operates on 1000W HPS Ballast (ANSI S52)
Initial Lumens: 110,000
CRI: 65
Rated Life Hours: 10,000
Dimensional Weight: 2 lbs"

But several others list it as universal.
Importantly, the Eye website. Check out the second link below:

LU1000MH/HTL/EN Universal Burn Position

Page Two: "Burn Position" Universal

Papa

winta

winta

hell yea malachi! go hard or go home! i feel u my dude i might have to come visit ;)

M

Malachi

yea i would trust the EYE Hort website much sooner then I would a resale site, I am going to do some looking on here and see if I can find anyone running these vertical.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Good luck with your project Malachi, I will keep a eye bro!

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

Cant wait to see this one take off.
On the bulb I think the biggest problem with those bulbs are
Like I think easy said. They are a 600 watt HPS and a 400 watt MH in one tube.
It may give 1000 watt's of light. But it will only have the penetratoin of a 600.
IMO the penetratoin is very important for yeild.
Hope this helps bro.

M

Malachi

Cant wait to see this one take off.
On the bulb I think the biggest problem with those bulbs are
Like I think easy said. They are a 600 watt HPS and a 400 watt MH in one tube.
It may give 1000 watt's of light. But it will only have the penetratoin of a 600.
IMO the penetratoin is very important for yeild.
Hope this helps bro.

Thanks Bossman, I have been doing a lot of research on these bulbs and they seem to have a much better PAR rating then a typical HPS because of the added blue spectrum. Texas Kid PM'd me back and told me he runs these vert. with no problems, and I have read that he loves these bulbs and will be running then from now on. On that note alone I think I will give them a whirl.

Good luck with your project Malachi, I will keep a eye bro!

Thanks man, this will be new to me so I can use all the luck in the world on my side.

No

Top Bottom