Male Isolation In Tent Setup

• Thread starter CheeseDawg91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on the best way to have a small breeding setup in tents. Would it be ideal to get 2 new tents, one for male isolation and one for pregnant/impregnating female plants or a tent for for male and then put females in each? Can you use more than one strain of pollen for crosses in the breeding tent or do you need a new room for each male cross to avoid getting different fathers than intended? I have read a few tutorials but I am looking to do small scale breeding in limited space and possibly work on more than one cross at once. I'm looking for advice ranging from how to do small scale breeding in tents collecting the pollen, to a multi tent setup with some sort of open pollination with the male plant living amongst females.

3G Labs

3G Labs

Single male open pollination is easiest, put the male with the ladies they'll handle the rest.
Pollen is potent and travels well, doing seperate pollination tents or multiple male pollinations would be alot of work and probably won't stop cross contamination, plus if you forget what was pollinated with what instead of a killer cross you got a ?WTF seed, as in I don't know what the fuck it is...could be blank x blank or ......

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Single male open pollination is easiest, put the male with the ladies they'll handle the rest.
Pollen is potent and travels well, doing seperate pollination tents or multiple male pollinations would be alot of work and probably won't stop cross contamination, plus if you forget what was pollinated with what instead of a killer cross you got a ?WTF seed, as in I don't know what the fuck it is...could be blank x blank or ......

Cool, so it seems working with one male at a time would be ideal. How would you keep mutliple males alive similarly to mother plants but somehow without having them pollinate anything you dont want? like if I added one new tent for some females and one male at a time but also had another tent to hold males that I want to use in future crosses? would it be so complicated that it would be best to just kill every male that I wont be working with in the time of their natural life cycle? thanks

3G Labs

3G Labs

Couple options you can grow the males out and collect their pollen and store it in the freezer for future use. (what i prefer to do)
If you wanted to keep them alive and control when they produce pollen keep them in veg, and you could pinch the male sacks off as they grow. when you're ready to use him put him on a flower cycle and allow the sacs to grow .
just remember pollen is highly active! (you will cross contaminate any ladies you come into contact with either directly or indirectly (air currents , vents , clothing). Water destroys pollen, wanna clear a tent of pollen spray it down with a squirt bottle.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Couple options you can grow the males out and collect their pollen and store it in the freezer for future use. (what i prefer to do)
If you wanted to keep them alive and control when they produce pollen keep them in veg, and you could pinch the male sacks off as they grow. when you're ready to use him put him on a flower cycle and allow the sacs to grow .
just remember pollen is highly active! (you will cross contaminate any ladies you come into contact with either directly or indirectly (air currents , vents , clothing). Water destroys pollen, wanna clear a tent of pollen spray it down with a squirt bottle.
if you are collecting the pollen for future use can you have many different males in one tent? then wash that tent good and later use it for females to impregnate? if you collect pollen and rub it on with a q tip or use a garbage bag do you still need to keep it to one male pollen donor per room/tent? if the water thing works theoretically could you use different males on some females and do the controlled pollination a few apart and spray down each female not being pollinated until you introduce the little bit of pollen for the desired donor? Since this is all so complicated im guessing it is best to start very simple with one male at a time and do open air in one tent or collect pollen from the male and in a month or two after topping cloning and flowering out mothers of the females i wanna cross it with, doing the qtip/garbage bag technique.

3G Labs

3G Labs

if you are collecting the pollen for future use can you have many different males in one tent? then wash that tent good and later use it for females to impregnate? if you collect pollen and rub it on with a q tip or use a garbage bag do you still need to keep it to one male pollen donor per room/tent? if the water thing works theoretically could you use different males on some females and do the controlled pollination a few apart and spray down each female not being pollinated until you introduce the little bit of pollen for the desired donor? Since this is all so complicated im guessing it is best to start very simple with one male at a time and do open air in one tent or collect pollen from the male and in a month or two after topping cloning and flowering out mothers of the females i wanna cross it with, doing the qtip/garbage bag technique.

Technically yes it is possible but trying to pollinate with multiple males on one female or many would require extreme diligence and organization skills expecially in a building that shares common air space= nightmare! . I have pollinated multiple pollens on one plant with the paint brush and paper bag method sucessfully but it's time consuming. And in the end i want to be confident that all seeds created are exactly what i set out to create, otherwise it's just another "wild" bag seed.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

thanks for all the advice, I will start with one male and let him pollinate as many different females as I can fit in the room and then when I can professionally build rooms with separate ventilation and filters for pollen I will try more complicated projects

Kdub

Kdub

Similar problem here. Is male pollen viable when the male plant is in veg. I have no way to put him in flower. I have him upstairs in the living room now. Can I just clip the pollen sacs off into a bag and use the pollen later?

mrsmarybrown

mrsmarybrown

Similar problem here. Is male pollen viable when the male plant is in veg. I have no way to put him in flower. I have him upstairs in the living room now. Can I just clip the pollen sacs off into a bag and use the pollen later?
You need him in flower, and the sacks starting to blow, before collection. That being said, to be on the safe side, you must always consider any visible sacks to be active and capable of fertilization. Better safe than sorry.

Rogue_wolf

Rogue_wolf

What do you store the pollen in? A paper bag

dbrzz

dbrzz

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on the best way to have a small breeding setup in tents. Would it be ideal to get 2 new tents, one for male isolation and one for pregnant/impregnating female plants or a tent for for male and then put females in each? Can you use more than one strain of pollen for crosses in the breeding tent or do you need a new room for each male cross to avoid getting different fathers than intended? I have read a few tutorials but I am looking to do small scale breeding in limited space and possibly work on more than one cross at once. I'm looking for advice ranging from how to do small scale breeding in tents collecting the pollen, to a multi tent setup with some sort of open pollination with the male plant living amongst females.
Pollination is what male pollen does to female flowers!! Flowers dont get pregnant. Impregnating is what mammals do!! Terms matter!

Top Bottom