Males with trichome glands

• Thread starter cocoJoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Hi all,
I have chucked some pollen in the past, but not lately.
I have a friend who swears the best males for breeding have trichome glands on the leaves just like the females.
I have only seen pics of these males.

I want to know if this makes a difference in the quality of seeds produced.
Also I have not seen such a male but always culled them quickly from my garden.

Any opinions?

I

ibTheMan

i dont know about the tri's but i would think size and branchs are pretty import.
i used a male one time,the top looked like ah big bud it was thick of podes.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I always thoughts the criteria for choosing a male was early trich developement, vigor and smell - recently I learned that yield (lots of male flowers) would be another factor

so your friend is partly right

R

robz

When your a pollen chucker I would venture to guess that not much of a process goes into selection. True breeders sprout hundreds if not thousands of seeds to find what it is they are looking for. I know that the pollen I just chucked on my THC Bomb was off 1 of 3 males from a 10 pack of Querkles. He was a nice looking plant with good amount of pollen sacks. Early onset, stayed short, and ripened fast. I'm sure their would a been better males maybe out of say 100 seeds. But when your on a plant count & just a pollen chucker. Well ya know?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
sounds like a good male all in all - I aint even a pollen chucker yet - more like a wannabe pollen chucker

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

What I forgot to say is, most people look for the elite female cuts or keepers from seeds grown. I this is what I would have done.

But my friend says if you find an elite male, you don't have to have the elite female. This may be correct, I don't know.

I have grown out some of his gear in the past and it was very good to awesome.

I'm still would like to see one up close. He says they can be smoked. ????

More opinions please.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I could smoke my sugar leaf - but I dont - lol

B

Bonedoc

Males are a HUGE variable in any breeding project, if you're looking for bud traits.

I look for..
-Short nodes
-Strong stem & Branches
-Strong Leaf Structure

This is at minimum, before I look for other traits such as the ones I want in the plant. Trichomes on the flowers is a definite indication that the male comes from a potent genepool. I would take it as a good sign. :)

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Males are a HUGE variable in any breeding project, if you're looking for bud traits.

I look for..
-Short nodes
-Strong stem & Branches
-Strong Leaf Structure

This is at minimum, before I look for other traits such as the ones I want in the plant. Trichomes on the flowers is a definite indication that the male comes from a potent genepool. I would take it as a good sign. :)

Bonedoc the trichomes he looks for our on the leaves around the flowers.
The pics are amazing!

L

laughingmoon

I've heard of high-level breeders smoking the males to determine crossing potential

B

Bonedoc

Bonedoc the trichomes he looks for our on the leaves around the flowers.
The pics are amazing!

Generally, male trichome production is a good indicator of potency in offspring. Usually, in my experience, trichomes happen on the flower clusters but if the leaves and otherwise look frosty? Hell, I'd use that male! haha

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Generally, male trichome production is a good indicator of potency in offspring. Usually, in my experience, trichomes happen on the flower clusters but if the leaves and otherwise look frosty? Hell, I'd use that male! haha

Some are on the flower clusters too, but mostly on the flower stems and leaves.

More info from my friend. These males are found in S1 seeds more than in nature. Hmmm?

Have you seen males in S1 seeds I have not, but I only have grown CaliKush Blackberry S1 seeds.

M

momstheword

I've heard of high-level breeders smoking the males to determine crossing potential

yes i heard the dna lot talking about reverse sexing males to females with chemicals,that allows them to smoke sensimilla of a male?.they believe this is a good way to determine the likliness of a specific male to add positive traits to a cross.
p.s I've noticed a lot of cali based farmers have a lot of hate for dna,why is that?

Top Bottom