Managing Stretchy Moms

• Thread starter whocares
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whocares

Managing stretchy moms
so i started sour kosher, sour tangie, strawberry banana, 24k gold in december and want to rip some cutting but the stretch is out of control.

I wanted to keep my moms sterile so their just getting zone and dutchmaster gold. Their growing in promix hp cc.

I was vegging under a 600w hortilux super blue with a super spreader on a mover but i really didnt seem to be getting enough coverage so i switched it out for a gavita 600/750. Doesnt seem to help they just stretch til curling under the light that much faster

Day temps 78/ night temps 75. Humidity 60-70.

My straight ogs in my flower room seem short and stocky in comparison. Their getting aptus n heavy 16 in straight coco and the flower room has a much bigger temp swing almost 10 degrees.

Now as big as these moms are so far i have almost zero cuttings a can take from them.

Managing stretchy moms 2
Junk

Junk

Part of why it's getting tall is that you are letting it get tall. Cut the bitch.

So in that first pic, are you still under veg time? Meaning you haven't flipped to 12/12 yet right?

That piece you are showing with your fingers, I would cut that off. Both of those tops. I would super crop the other growth until the new tops take off.

You see where you topped it? (purple arrow) It split into two mains...one of which you have your hand on. When you topped that, you should have tied that growth down so that it would grow out sideways. See how the purple arrow top created two new mains...which essentially create a tall V formation? You should have tied each of those new mains down to make more of a T formation. Then you should have topped the first node again & tied those down. A scrog would help you train it, but tying it down does the same.

So, if you were still in veg, I would cut it at the blue lines. Make sure you just cut the top, not the \ / growth around it as those will be your new tops. If you do that, you will now have 4 tops....& you need to tie them down so they grow sideways. You can top those 4 tops again, & do the same training (that's what I do, 8 tops)...then lollipop & flip.

So, it may just be a tall/stretchy strain, but leaving it to it's own devices isn't going to help you. You can grow a plant horizontally if you want, just LST, LST, LST. Cut her, & tie her down (if still in veg, if you already flipped, you are gonna have to do your best & chalk it up to a lesson learned.)

You might think that's too much growth to cut off. That's about 1/2 of what I cut off because I want the root system & base of the plant to be large. If you are in veg, don't worry about it. In a week it will be pumping full stop again...& much shorter/more manageable.
Image 2

The original top is still very steep....depending on how the plant handles the other pruning I might pinch a knot into each of those & get them sideways. Stop letting the plant grow upwards...& force it to grow more like this
Perfect lst

Nl lst

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

that's what happens when you pop seeds of lanky strains - they make stretchy clones look fairly tame.

You need to decrease the ratio of nitrogen to phosphorus, too much N causes them to bolt like that. If you have them under 24 hr light that won't help either.

If you were to pinch the tops they would definitely bush out a lot more - I would have pinched those soon as they started establishing an apical dominance. It's not too late...take as small of a top as you can and let the rest of the nodes start growing.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I use T5s for veg and by placing my lights 3 inches from the top of the plant it controls stretch greatly.
I have very tight node spacing and virtually no stretch untill I flower.
IMG 20160203 152328
but things still get unruly!

Junk

Junk

I call it spunge bob square plant
lol, so was that just an experiment? Or did you actually flower that? Unless she has very little stretch or you have high ceilings, it seems like it might be tricky? But if you had the height (or if it's just a short stretcher)...& you pummeled that thing with light, I'd be curious to see what you got from it.

It's actually so neat & trimmed that you could put that out front like a hedge, & I bet it would be a while before anyone noticed it was cannabis lol.

What strain is it?

G gnome

G gnome

lol, so was that just an experiment? Or did you actually flower that? Unless she has very little stretch or you have high ceilings, it seems like it might be tricky? But if you had the height (or if it's just a short stretcher)...& you pummeled that thing with light, I'd be curious to see what you got from it.

It's actually so neat & trimmed that you could put that out front like a hedge, & I bet it would be a while before anyone noticed it was cannabis lol.

What strain is it?
Thats a mother plant purely fer clonin stock bud. Its g13

Latest posts

Top Bottom