Massive slime after Hydroguard/Orca/Southern AG

• Thread starter Bluebuddha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

So yesterday after a full res change and the addition of Hydroguard/Southern AG/Orca, I woke up to giant balls of slime on my roots. Overnight it went from cleaned roots to giant hanging globs of bacteria. I kneejerk rinsed the roots again and didn't get pictures. I'm sure whatever it is will be back by days end

I'm hoping this is the beneficial bacteria growing and not some adverse bloom of bad bacteria.

Has anyone seen this on introduction of bennies?

Electrolights

Electrolights

Yeah I just did the same this week to try to fight root rot literally all the same bennies including advanced nutrients voodoo plus tablet not only were they slimy it was literal brown sludge, regardless of it being bennies or not was not cool with it since I’ve had rot before and it has fucked me , no longer using bennies I will swear by Athena cleanse now, rinsed roots with a shower head, massaged them in pure cleanse and the slime immediately was gone, my temps were even below 73 when it happened got them down to 70 with ice bottles, also praying the roots that are above the water line with 100ml per 1lt with cleanse to be sure of it not coming back on top of taking a cup from the res and pouring it from the top 1hr after lights on and a few hours before lights out, plants went from wilting to standing up overnight

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So yesterday after a full res change and the addition of Hydroguard/Southern AG/Orca, I woke up to giant balls of slime on my roots. Overnight it went from cleaned roots to giant hanging globs of bacteria. I kneejerk rinsed the roots again and didn't get pictures. I'm sure whatever it is will be back by days end

I'm hoping this is the beneficial bacteria growing and not some adverse bloom of bad bacteria.

How are you rinsing them?

Do you have pics?
I use only hydroguard and can go up to 2 months without res changes and 0 root rot. Not saying I dont have other issues, just root rot seems to be the least of my issues when running hydro. Its quite a learning curve when trying to combat it.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I use southern AG and I have never seen this. I can literally smell the better difference in water once the bennies are doing their thing, it took about a week of patience in 5 gallon buckets for me for them to establish to my low standards of smell testing and watching the ph stop spiking from baddies.

Do you add your bennies from the beginning or use it after you see a problem?

I swear using them for me is how I'm able to get so lucky running 80+ res temps with lights on. Once they are in any res I've never had to add more until harvest and sanitation of buckets.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I started after the problems. But after a few days now, there's no more snot. And...I may be imagining it but, new growth is starting to get their color back.

There's little to no smell either just very low earthy smell like roots.

I think it was just an initial colony formation feeding on the bad stuff.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I started after the problems. But after a few days now, there's no more snot. And...I may be imagining it but, new growth is starting to get their color back.

There's little to no smell either just very low earthy smell like roots.

I think it was just an initial colony formation feeding on the bad stuff.
That's great to hear!!
I just started my water for plants I will be putting in two weeks. Just got air and biologics going in them.
I'm trying a new biological product this run called TPS Billions.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You can use hygrozyme or a similar enzyme formula to clean up the roots. It takes time for the good colony to establish, and you really want this in place before the plants go in.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Once the organics are under control the slime will drop down… make aure your not using any organics as that is food for bacteria and you can see explosive growth in pops

MIAquaFire

MIAquaFire

I can saw from personal venture with southern ag that of you use to much of that stuff, the colony dies off faster than it can eat and live. This will in turn leave slime like shit in your rez, i have ran them all and using just recharge solo to make a tea out of 1x a week is the WTG hands down. Has everything you could ever possibly imagine good in it and never fails, that or hydrogaurd. Orca failed me, sag failed me, tps failed, sterile failed, pond zyme failed ect.

Recharge as a tea and hydrogaurd never ever fail

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I honestly think Mr Fulvic caused the initial bloom. But I can't prove it. The new res (15gal) has been inoculated with 1ml of S AG, half strength hydro guard and half strength orca. So, hoping a good colony exists before roots touch down.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can saw from personal venture with southern ag that of you use to much of that stuff, the colony dies off faster than it can eat and live. This will in turn leave slime like shit in your rez, i have ran them all and using just recharge solo to make a tea out of 1x a week is the WTG hands down. Has everything you could ever possibly imagine good in it and never fails, that or hydrogaurd. Orca failed me, sag failed me, tps failed, sterile failed, pond zyme failed ect.

Recharge as a tea and hydrogaurd never ever fail
Look into defgaurd as a hydrogaurd replacement…. If i could get my hands on it up here thats what id run. Adding biomedia is also beneficial but when you have something thats working for you then really no reason to start meddling

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

How are you rinsing them?

Do you have pics?
I use only hydroguard and can go up to 2 months without res changes and 0 root rot. Not saying I dont have other issues, just root rot seems to be the least of my issues when running hydro. Its quite a learning curve when trying to combat it.
I just took em to the sink and used the dish sprayer to spray the roots clean. I have chlorine in the tap so that may have helped.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

After a couple weeks and improvement over the last round of slime/bacteria I started to see some darker coloring in the roots so I dropped a half cup of tea I made from S.AG , TPS billions and Orca.

12 hours later, big slimed roots. See below. I took em to the sink and rinsed the roots with a dish sprayer and dropped em back in the res.

I was going to let one of them sit with that slime but, I think it would suffocate if I did.

I'm not sure where this shit is coming from. I've top dressed with the tea as well.

Could it be the rapid rooters? I've used em before (year ago). Could it be Jack's? I've got tons of air 300gph pumping through each res.

Temps 67-69 inside the res. Covered with bubble wrap.

VPD bounces between .8 - 1.20
Ph is slowly rising from 5.8 to 6.1 after 5 days.

Slime/rinsed

IMG 20221025 091951
IMG 20221025 094525
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Rinse and treat 3 days in a row… then let em go. There maybe something in your water source thats a food source. id look there next

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Rinse and treat 3 days in a row… then let em go. There maybe something in your water source thats a food source. id look there next
I seen he was using the tap water spray nozzle. I remember when I first started I got root rot, and did the same thing. I then got root rot 10x as bad. We found out that it was cause the chlorine in the water I was spraying was killing my colonies.
Since hes live, shoudnt he be using water that sits out for 24hrs to rinse.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I seen he was using the tap water spray nozzle. I remember when I first started I got root rot, and did the same thing. I then got root rot 10x as bad. We found out that it was cause the chlorine in the water I was spraying was killing my colonies.
Since hes live, shoudnt he be using water that sits out for 24hrs to rinse.
Yeah the chlorine will help kill and reduce pathogens a d thats why you top feed and inoculate after each rinse

beluga

beluga

Did you sanitize your system before you put your plants back in/treated them again?

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Did you sanitize your system before you put your plants back in/treated them again?
No not yet. I'll have to do that over the weekend.

I'm going ride this one out and see if the good bacteria settles down. If not, I'll sanitize everything and swap out again.

Also, good point on the tap water. Didn't think about that.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

So l...after rinsing everyday and letting the good bennies get settled my root zone EXPLODED! I'll post up pics later but just gotta say, wow. The triple combo just works (S AG, Orca and TPS billions) I'm kinda shocked at how vigorously they pushed bright white roots out.

My problem children soaked in Hygrozyme for a few hours today so we'll see what their turnaround is like.

The 88g13 is hurting pretty bad. Hope she turns around.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So l...after rinsing everyday and letting the good bennies get settled my root zone EXPLODED! I'll post up pics later but just gotta say, wow. The triple combo just works (S AG, Orca and TPS billions) I'm kinda shocked at how vigorously they pushed bright white roots out.

My problem children soaked in Hygrozyme for a few hours today so we'll see what their turnaround is like.

The 88g13 is hurting pretty bad. Hope she turns around.
There ya go man… just trust in the system.

Top Bottom