MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh I stop, have too! I get exhausted ! Normal days are 14 hours or more but hey it takes me twice as long to get stuff done with my disability really. Just figured out a ruff amount I make , about $ 9 and hour , no over time. I also figured out I use about 75,000 gallons of water in 5 months, but that is total, not just for growing. Watering and fetching takes up a great deal of my time, less though than when I watered with jugs however. Thing about 12v pumps are they take so much energy! Generator uses a lot of fuel! I really need to figure out a better way, this expense is eating up to much $$$ !

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Slept in a little and got a late start today. Only got one load of water and poked all the sprouts back under the screens. The screens are nearly full enough to let them grow. Maybe one or two more times? The tea is cooking and I`ll water tonight. I should be able to fetch enough fresh water for the RV tank and be able to fill the 1000 gal tank up with one more load in the morning. Son`s coming back Sunday to work. I`d like to be caught up on a few things by then. I`d also like to make a trip and check out a fuel transfer tank and fuel tank. Maybe even a rabbit cage I see for sale.

coloradoBTC

coloradoBTC

Thing about 12v pumps are they take so much energy! Generator uses a lot of fuel! I really need to figure out a better way, this expense is eating up to much $$$ !

solar panels are getting down to under 2 dollars a watt. still a massive initial expense, but pays for itself eventually

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Yep I have a few but don`t have a system that will run things like the AC yet. They just keep the shore batteries charged, mostly. I also have a battery bank on both solar and trickle charger just for the Stereo, HDTV, Blue Ray and maybe a fan or something if needed. I`d like to set it up to run the fridge because the polite goes out sometimes at night and if the batteries arn`t charged it stays out until my second cup of joe in the morning. That`s when I start thinking and looking around. I really have a much better set up than when I first came up here. I had a broken tent and a truck.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The problem with solar isn`t the panels as they last 40+years, it`s the batteries. They don`t last long enough and lose a lot of the charge just sitting around. They also arn`t efficient when they become cold. Also power diminishes with distance in DC. That means you need to convert the power to AC at the battery to send power any distance and batteries need to be near the source of power . It causes you to invest a lot of money and that keeps solar out of reach for many people. I think the whole system needs to be set up in the solar cells and the batteries need to be made to be replaced by plugging them in to the back of the solar panels. Panels should be made to plug into each other to adapt to the power needs as they change.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Elon Musk has invented a battery system that will make solar possible for many people. Expensive right now, but those batteries are bad ass.

I am working on a 70k solar system right now. PG&E does a credit system, where if your not running enough power to consume your solar production, then PG&E will allow credits for up to one year. If you have a ton of credits because your solar is out producing your needs, then a big indoor crop will eat up those credits. I am close to buying the system, just figuring out the engineering right now.

BTW - the panels I am buying are top of the line, and they guarantee 87% effective over 20 years.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Two more loads of water this morning and then I can do something else, or maybe lax out a little? I should take some more pictures and see what people think. Should I let the screens fill out more or let them start growing colas now? At some point I might get more colas but if they don`t have time to get full they will shade each other. This would defeat the reason of doing a Scrog grow. It should increase the yield if done right, only thing is I`m in the dark about just when to let them start the colas in an outdoor lighting environment. To soon and I get to tall of growth and to soon and I get lots of small colas that shade each other. If I had lights set up it would allow me to fill the screens as much as I wanted, but without the extended veg cycle I need to time this the best I can.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Problem is I`m off grid. PG&E isn`t going to pay me back anything and I can`t use line power when the panels arn`t producing enough like in bad weather, I will need generators for backup. These two systems need to be integrated and they both cost a bunch . If I were to add a large grow to my power consumption needs that`s not going to be practical. I need to use at lest some sun for growing year round.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got my chores xcept maybe getting one load of water this morning to top the tanks and replace some of todays watering. Went and bought a 100 gal fuel transfer tank with 12 pump fr the truck. Need to pick up a holding tank for Red Diesel fuel and get that muffler on the old Lister generator. Then I can start collecting some of the appliances I need for the greenhouse and grow room in the office trailer. Son`s on his way to work on the barb wire fence today.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The Govenator movie. wasn`t bad , liked the first ones a little better. I don`t see most movies. The ones I do are on TV or Redbox or something. I just wanted to get out somewhere that`s cool and I could sit down.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Ok hope to go look at a 250 gallon trap wagon( fuel trailer) later tonight. The guy just called so heading out to look at it.

Not happy about Google as they upgraded their satellite view of the area. It shows way to much and being public puts me at risk. It`s clearer than in the past views. I`m think of ways I can conceal my property in the future. I don`t want prying eyes and wish they would respect my privacy. The whole idea of being out in the forest is privacy and freedom! Can`t get away anywhere anymore!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I got the trap wagon, it was only a 200 gallon tank. I didn`t have the proper receiver until later after it got dark so will go get it tomorrow. He also had a 500 gallon trap wagon but I`m not sure the blazer would get it up the hill even empty. It also had no pump included. with the 200 gallon trap wagon I should have no problem pulling it with my truck and can use the 100 gal. transfer tank to keep it toped off. When I get on my land better I`ll look into a 500gal. tank on skids or on a stand. I`m thinking I may want to get a larger kw generator as well. I won`t need it to be mobile so it can be on skids as well. Thinking 30+ kw. the Lister generator is 7.5 and the gas Honda is 6.5 kw. Not sure if I`ll need a phase 3 for the pump well when I get a well in or can use phase 1 . Some of the generators out there can be set for ether.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It`s 4:28, medicated and having my cup of joe. Going to get an early start getting water then unhook the trap wagon and water. I`ll knock off early and head to my friend`s house when he`s got some clones for me and a few makes he wants to get rid of. Then back to fetching water until it gets to hot, I`ll try to do a little house keeping and maybe work on some small projects and plot and plan some more. An other day at the farm!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got two loads of water and passed out. I had taken my meds that morning and my blood sugar was only scantly high, but I must have forgot to taken my meds the night before. Had just no energy and laid down in the cab of the truck. I eventually got my self to my bed somehow and just woke up to a very hot RV in the sun. Generator is running and the AC is going. I really need a shower. I`ll pick up the clones and some males in the morning. Just going to take a shower soon as I get the strength and lax out the rest of today. Oh and take my medications !

below frigid

below frigid

Bulldog, 70k solar? You sure you did not mean 7K? For 70K in 300 watt panels you would need around 233 x $350 each = over $80,000. Does not make sense for a grid tie system. I am going to power my off grid home with just over 3k in panels and 100o ah battery bank.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I feel better today. Got a load of water early and went and picked up the clones and males. I `m going to use 5 to fill in a few bare spots in the bottom greenhouse and pare the rest off in lager pots with the males. I`ll drop them off down by the creek and let the moms have kids. Always got to make a few seeds along the way . Hot one today, resting it out under the AC. Thinking of making a quick trip to town tonight for mail and fuel. That`s after it cools down! Girls got 500 gallons of water this morning again.

Top Bottom