MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Well ? you have to remember this dog killed a bear when he was a pup. He has killed two other dogs also, both attacked him while he was chained up. He is fine most of the time. What he hates the most is to get splashed with a cup of water. He pissed me off once and I tossed a cup of water at him, now he runs and hides every time I come near him with a cup in my hands. I got some weeds pulled and will work every day at it in the cool mornings until it gets all done. It`s a chore. Also hard when you can`t stay long on your feet at a time.

colostoney

colostoney

ya pits are awesome at heart but they communicate kinda scary lmao I got a gal pit these days

personally I'd keep working the tok, twisty purps, and other mc beans family originals forever
still remember ya coffe type couch slammed bubba kush
had a hammer

idk I'm a freak older I get and my last few dogs never even got a newspaper
and have turned out best...sorta Ahimsa thing a hostile reaction to aggression
sometimes only causes more aggression in predators especially
I see that in myself as well as in my pit on other bulldogs

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
When ever he acts out he gets rebuked and I don`t pet him for a day or so. By the time I consider petting him he is very submissive and rolls over on his back when ever I approach. So yes it`s best to withhold using a news paper. He wouldn`t respond to a news paper anyway. I really wonder if this dog can ever register pain at all ! Although he can be aggressive , more than anything wants attention and love. If he would just settle down a little people wouldn`t be so afraid to pet him! My grandchildren pet him but we have to watch he doesn`t jump up on them because hiss's claws can cut right through your pants and deep into your skin. He doesn`t bite though. At least unless he thinks your taking away his food. Then I wouldn`t make a bet.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Met with the surveyors today. Going to have them come in with a cat and clear a fire break around the property line which will clear the brush out of the way for the surveyors. He will also work on the road in and put in a pad and clear around 2 acres for orchards and all I have planned. It will cost me but I will have an address and good access when this is all done . I will need a permitted well and septic after that and by the fall I could be ready to move in? See how it goes but hope to be in by early next spring, even it everything isn`t done on the property yet.

Going to town later to fill up on fuel ,propane and get a few things. Got my two hand pumps with hoses delivered last night for gas and diesel out of the 55 gal drums. Still thinking I`ll need a different diesel generator as the Lister doesn`t have a pre-heater and would be hard to start in the winter. Might just get a new one so it lasts me a long time. The used ones I`ve been seeing look like they are 3/4 used up and people think they are worth 4/5s the price of a new one. Kind of hard to figure out what I`ll need in the future size wise though. I could buy one bigger than what I expect I`ll need , but they run up in cost as well as larger ones use more fuel. To small and I would need to replace it later. Be nice to be able to wait until I`m in on the property and have a better idea of my needs then, but my Honda won`t last that long and needs replaced now. Mostly bee paying off bills and will be working on vehicles. Had the Blazer towed in to the shop for work first so it will be ready to take down south. Going to have a class 3 hitch put on my Silverado this week, it`s ordered. I`ll work on cleaning up weeds and making the place all cleaned up where I`m at because I may be here awhile yet. Not sure about a grow yet. Just bought a bunch of amendments for the soil. I`m thinking I may still put in about half of what I`ve been doing and see what happens. Instead of 60 plants I`d put in 30. Should be less work and less waste. It might give me more time to keep an eye on the work on the property also. I`m not sure what it will do with yield. Using the same amount of ground space and more room between plants I libel to have a larger yield per plant and not that much of a difference in yield. I`d have a 4` x 8` x 18`` area per plant , twice the room for root growth and more side light will hit the plants also. If I do a winter grow this was always the idea and it will only need half the lights as if I grew 60 in that same space. I think I`ve been over crowding them all along. But it always looked so flush with growth. Always so over grown by the time they go into flower.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Dam the cell phone went dead last night. Been trying to get it charged all day but keeps getting run down with phone calls. The internet is also very slow. Update later?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Been trying to get my phone 100% charged all day ! I`m at 61% right now. Had a new tow hitch, wiring and transmission cooler put on the truck. Had to replace the generator so picked up a new Honda EU7000is ( couldn`t find a diesel). It`s gas but as soon as I can find a nice diesel it will be a backup generator. Hope to find a Cummings or Perkins powered diesel. This took all dam day !

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It's been raining all morning and again my bones ache. Not much I can get done today. If it gets warm enough I might weed in the greenhouses. Advantage of being out of the weather! But the weather makes me hurt so not sure I'll get anything done today. Good day to watch TV or read.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It rained all night , off and on, and about 2 inches of heil came down at one point. It was very cold. Today it is partly clear but it could rain some more. I feel bette so plan on weeding the greenhouses and maybe some of the surrounding area. May check out getting a load or two of manure when it gets dried out more. It get heavy when it`s wet. Not only do you normally have to load by hand , but I can`t carry as much if it`s got wet. Pushing it to take 2 yards up the hill in the Silverado 3/4 ton when it`s dryer. Wish I had some local help I could use off and on when I need some mussel. Last year my son helped mix the soil. He does a good job when he works for me, but he`s employed and likes to spend his free time with his GF now.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Spent the whole day weeding yesterday. It`s going to take at least 2 more days to complete the whole compound. I`m going to be doing a half day today as it`s Sunday. Need to do some personal care and housekeeping today also. I`m thinking of turning on the Satellite service today. Game of Throwns season 6 starts tonight on HBO.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Tomorrow I need to go into town. Eye Dr. appointment, pick up medications, and some other stuff. Going to look around for some rock phosphate and may call about some manure for the greenhouses. I didn`t get much done today. I picked up some piles of weeds and dirt and moved them out of the camp area. Kind of sore from weeding. Still have a bunch more to do. Also need to rake up pine needles/ downed branches around the camp before fire season starts. Pine needles are not good for mulch as they are high in acid content. About the only leaves around are oak leaves, they are full of tannic acid and also not great for soil building. It is used for tanning leather though. I guess I could use acorn meal if I went through the process f bleaching it out with hot water, that`s also useful for hot cereal and flat breads. I can`t eat the carbs but plants like it in compost and it`s low in acid when bleached out with hot water. Native Americans used to grind it down on rocks and place it in holes in the sand that were lined with leaves. They would pack the meal/flour in and add hot boiling water kind of like a large coffee filter until the acid was bleached out. They heated the water by adding fire heated rocks into a basket lined with pitch so it was water tight , then poured the water into the meal and allowed it to slowly seep out through the leaves into the sand hole. The leaves blocked the meal from the sand. They added the dry meal to wild grass meal for flour or ate the meal like hot cereal. There isn`t much to compost up in the mountains and the natural soil is very poor. Sawdust will work to hold water in soil but also needs leached out. I was thinking of contacting some of the yard care servicers in the valley for lawn trimmings and fall leaves. There is an abundance of horse manure around and it has about the same value to mulch as dried leaves.

colostoney

colostoney

hear ya sounds like a full plate
this ol mans too busy this time year
my vegetable gardens starting to sprout
and the critters are bustin out lol
seem kinda late but at 4600 ft its actually
couple weeks early
slow n low in SoCo....

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Looks like rain again later today. Need to add getting things covered to the chore list. This will make weeding easier anyway. One more reason to wait to rake pine needles, helps keep the mud down when it`s wet outside. I`m going to have to wash out the fresh water tank for the RV and get a load of water in it soon. I have a full flat of veggie starts from town yesterday. I`m going to plant them around in the greenhouses around future cannabis plants this year as I should have more room with half the plants I`ve been growing the past few years. I still need to weed the greenhouses though. It won`t be as hard as doing the weeding in the hard ground around the greenhouses.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I got the beds weeded in the greenhouse yesterday. Still need to weed the pathways. I found a 10 inch Bubba growing up through the weeds, close nodes so likely a female. I`m thinking I`ll work up the beds after I get the pathways done today. I`m also thinking of fixing my weed eater instead of using a garden hoe, way to much work by hand to do all the camp area by hand. I may go back over it when the stubble is dried out with a torch and burn the seeds and stumps off. Less work and effective. I got to start using my head instead of my might. Might is getting to old for this sh@t !

BudBogart

BudBogart

I enjoy reading your journal. We have a bit in common. I live in a forest in NorCal. I've got diabetes and numbness problems, etc., like to make my own soils and mulches out of the forest, got a big dog (Akitas for thirty years.) so I feel you on big dog issues. Even lost generous parents not too long ago (wife's).
I think the weather may be a little harsher on you...it's interesting comparing your weather with ours.
I grow outdoors and started our seeds on the back patio middle of March, so weather is of interest, lol.
Anyway, thanks for your posts. They let me know I'm not the only one doing the old school forest thing. Peace.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I had to stop and get a load of water from the spring. Started washing out the fresh water tank for the RV and had to stop before dark. I`m needing to catch everything up as the truck goes into the shop as soon as the Blazer gets out. Looking into having the easement marked to the boundary of the property. Seems the road I cleared is not an easement but does run to the lower half of the property. My easement should come out up the road farther and zig-zags on down other property boundaries to the property. The guy who maybe clearing a path with a dozer refuses to use the lower road to clear the property line with a fire break. This is going to increase the costs , but it will be nice to have the real easement done and also have a second route out in case of fires. Cleaning the water the fresh water tank out/ filling it ad then back to weeding today. Like to have some manure brought in before I take the truck to the shop. It`s getting the steering box replaced and new AC put in. Also needs a tune up. At this point I`m planning on staying where I am until I can have the property improvements to the point I have water , sewage and set up with power , both solar and generator back up. I`m thinking maybe next Spring?

colostoney

colostoney

hell yeah you work a lot harder than my lazy ass
big test for me at the new job today pass or fired and all I have done for two weeks paid training is giggle with young stoney gals....lmao
what you reap is what you sew and I'm a royal screw up oh well time to get baked in hope for miracles

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got the greenhouses all weeded yesterday. I`ll work on some light stuff today and figure out what`s next. Blazer should be coming out of the shop all fixed and running good early this week and I`ll drop the truck off when I pick it up. Not sure how I`ll pick it up when it`s done in town. It`s not like I can call a cab to pick me up out in the forest. If I get the chance I`ll head to town and take my trash out and stock up again before I take the truck into the shop.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It rained yesterday so ended up watching a couple movies. I did some house keeping and not much got done. Today I`m thinking of going to town so I`ll be stocked up when I take the truck down to pick up the Blazer. Everything seems to be taking so dam long to get done. My foot hurt all day yesterday anyway and is till sore this morning. Always so much traffic and lines around the first part of the month.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m down again today, my feet hurt bad and my blood sugar is medium high. They found a broke motor mount I the Blazer so it`s going to be an other day or so before it`s done. Hell I could almost buy a new one for all the money I`m putting into this thing! But I like the Blazer , it`s just right for me with two doors and fold up seats in the back , 31 inch tires with a 2 inch lift and a full SR5 off road package. Not sure what I might be able to get done today, but I`ll fid something. Hope my new glasses come in soon!

Top Bottom