MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Everything electric will be powered by 12v,24v or run from inverters off batteries charged by solar w/ generator as back up. The property will remain off grid. You can even make 220/240v off a big enough system. I expect the solar power system for the RV to run 15-18 grand. I want to put it in with the idea of building the system up adding components as needed. I may put in a new whole solar system for the ag use and outdoor power supply. Both could be tied to the same generator.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m guessing people will think that it`s expensive, and it is but, not as expensive as putting in a mile of lines with PG&E and then paying for the power on top of that!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
If you look at the last picture and add passive solar heated water circulators with thermo contained insulated tanks run on a thermostatic timer with 12v powered pumps, insulated roll down blackout doors ,CO2 generators ,fans and controller ,and T-5 lights for extending grow cycle for keeping plant in veg you have most of the system. Now add a reservoir, air pumps, heated and chilled to a drip irrigation and recycle system. This would be a closed system with air intake and exhaust as a backup started by a standard thermostat. Very low energy used for maximum effect.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I would even consider adding fish to the water reservoir and making it a fishing hole with renewable fertilizer in the water. it would sweeten the water and you would have tied in an aquatic system into the mix.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Cool pix .

Is there a max amount of watts you can run with just one system ? Why not just setup one that is big enough to run both at the same time instead of two separate systems ?

No there is not a maximum amount of watts you can use but again the cost of a larger system vs. two smaller and available systems was why I wanted two systems. Also the power degrades with line distance so if the RV is at one end of the property and the farthest greenhouse is a long distance All that would be needed is the generator to be in-between with lines running shorter distances in two directions. The sound from the generator would also diminish with some distance.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Both systems would have there own batteries so you would not be depleting one for the other of two systems. Both would be large enough with enough panels to both run the systems and charge the batteries for night use at the same time . The generator would only be operated when the winter days are shorter and the panels can`t fully charge the batteries(mostly in long stormy weather).

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
A lot of work and money but it will last 30+ years for the system less batteries. It will inable me to have power off grid without much further costs and would be cheaper than putting in power lines in my remote location. Also would increase property value and usability. May also consider wind turban to charge the batteries. This system would power an RV easy and could power a small cabin if I desired to build one at some point. Also thinking I may get a park model trailor and set it up at some point or a double wide and but it on a foundation.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Here is a nice park model that`s for sale for $40,000.00
Cavco park model trailor

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
By having a trailer instead of a cabin it saves money on property taxes Vs. registration. If I desided to sell the property I could do so with or without the trailer.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got to remember this would be a rent free and almost utility free living situation. Only costs would be to truck out the trash and property taxes. Maybe a little fuel for the generator once in a while. Add organic fresh and home canned veggies , fruits and berries, rabbit, chicken and local fishing and hunting and life could be cheap . Also would have a wood stove for heat! I`m not saying it would not cost to set up or would be easy even after set up as there would always be work to be done but then all the work I would be doing would be for myself and because money wouldn`t be involved nether would income taxes. Once set up costs would be low and yet life style would be good. I think a good wood splitter would be in line, I`m not going to cut ,split and stack a years worth of wood with a chain saw and splitting mull ,LOL! But I`d have enough income to afford satellite TV and internet and my (cell phone)galaxy 4 smart phone! Not like I`d be without civilization ,just remote mountain living!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
All this and All I need is to make it happen. I should have the money for a newer 4 season RV, the needed $ for the next grow and to have the property surveyed this year. I`m working on a deal with a logger to cut much of the fire wood and log three acres plus the dead and dyeing. I`d split the money 50/50 with no costs and get the culvert, pad, and road smoothed out of the deal. There is approx. 3000+ cord of fire wood, at 225 a cord that's $670,000 alone! I think I`d have enough for the septic , well, solar pump, solar power system, a cement pad and metal roof for the RV to start out with and a few years extra cash on top of my Social Security check. Heck I have the metal roofing/ the wire for much of the fence to put around the pad to keep the wild animals out of the garden and all the cedar fence posts / lodge polls for the RV cover, just need some 2x6 lumber and I can get it ruff cut from a local mill from a few of my own logs in a barter for a small amount of the timber off my property! I`m thinking I`d keep the RV and also put in a park model trailer like in the above picture so I could take off with the RV and go fishing at the ocean if I wanted to. Also would be spare for the kids if they come over night. Then they could always pitch a tent and roast hot dogs and or BBQ with the fire pit. I`d like to get a aluminum boat with a trailer to fish the lakes and rivers with that has a medium size out board and secondary 12 volt powered motor for trolling the lakes. It would be light enough to pull behind the Blazer. The Blazer has a 4.3 v6 with fuel injection. Not a lot of extra power to pull things but it does have the SR5 off road package,e new wider tires and a 2 in. lift as well as being set up with tow for a trailer. It would tow my Toyota truck bed/ conversion utility trailer, a small boat. Nothing with too much weight though. Maybe a tent trailer or something if I had one of thoughts. I`d need my 3/4 ton Silverado for a larger trailer or 5th wheel. As for a park model I`d have to get it pulled in with a larger truck than I have now. Not worth buying one unless I decide to get a larger dump truck that would pull a lowboy or park model trailer. Wouldn`t mind having a nice medium sized 4x4 tractor with a bucket and box end scraper to keep the road up with. Be even nicer if it had a detachable snow blower for the front of the dump truck. I`m thinking a flat bed with removable side racks so it could carry stacked fire wood but still had a dump bed. It could even be fitted with a Polly water tank, pump and hose for fire control!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
You know even if I had everything on my list it wouldn`t be a life of ease, more toys = more work that could be done and that`s not the easy life many people strive for , is it? But again all my work would be work for my self and not to make money so much as to be independent as possible with the system and live good for less. I think of money as the wheels of progress not so much as for a luxury of living. I`m already living cheep as it is compared to when I had the house in the valley. I made more then but paid out more and never got anywhere.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I have the shed and the tent for trimmers. When the weather gets nasty there gone.

I`m just looking right now for solar stuff and checking prices. I won`t buy intel I`m on my property and setting up the pad. The generator has 6500 watts continuous and does the trailor ok but is a little week with the AC on. it has a 30 amp plug where larger RV`s may have a 50 amp plug. So what I need is dependent on what RV I get. If I get a 35 ft 5th wheel with higher demands I`ll need a bigger solar system to support it. It`s always better to have a little more than what you think you need.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
No I can run 6500 watts continuous with one generator and 8000 with the larger one. 6500 is the most I need right now, but once in an other RV or on the property I`ll want to run more stuff . I want a system that is over what I expect to use. Cost is not as big a factor as availability and dependability. It will last me 30 years without cost except batteries.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Great if I had 100,000 to blow on becoming a PG&E customer. Not even an option! I don`t want on grid. Also you can run a generator up to it`s maximum` running wattage` and it doesn`t hurt it at all. The smaller load you have ,to a point, the less fuel usage however.

Point is I`m going to put in solar power on the farm with Generator back up.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got a call from the shop that`s working on the Blazer and it`s not the heater core that`s bad. The gaskets for the intake manifold are bad allowing coolant to run down the back of the engine. The former owner must have thought it was from the heater core and disconnected it. Still not a cheep fix at around $600 but better than $900 and taking the dash, steering and seats out. Should be done and ready to pick up Thursday or Friday morning. I`m so glade I`ll have it in good shape!

B

boston

to save mark the time
I not even going to hit your link
but he can run 6500 of a 6500 generator if its rated at 6500

Iran 6k of a Honda 6500 which is only rated at 5500<bad idea to go over rated continuous watts) for 9 months (roughly ) 3 blooms and some veg)and that generator still works today 7 years later (used sparingly)
and might I add with better gas performance then what the manual reads and I promise not because of the care i took of it

you cant run 6kw off a 6kw generator :greyalien:

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The Honda Generator is rated for 6500 watts continuous and 8000 watts start up. It does just fine at 6500 watts. Been doing it for almost a year and it`s still running just fine. I wouldn`t doubt if Honda under rated it to be fair though.

Top Bottom