MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I found the diet I now eat fills me up with much less celeries and I like it but I do miss some things like a big milkshake. I`m also a big fan of the organic sections at the store. Hope to have a bigger veggie garden this year and a better medical garden.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It is looking more and more like the backing funds I had hoped for will not be produced or will be late coming so I`m still on par to build my farm/ranch without any help. It would have been nice but It is still possible to do with hard work and more time. Nothing worth doing is easy. I`m still thinking I need to have the property surveyed before I go any further so I know what work I do is not wasted effort. The next thing will be that culvert so I have access to the property and then clear the oak trees for a pad. I`ll have to stay on the ridge until the pad is in and some of the infrastructure can be put in place. I may have to go with a Alaska septic and use water pressure from piping it from the spring above into a tank and down instead of having a well to start out with. And I may have to settle for a smaller solar electric system to start out with and generator back up. A large delay but still doable. I might not be ready for an other year or so. I think I`ll need a newer and slightly larger RV that is rated 4 season before Next Winter whether on the ridge for the Winter again or when I get moved down to the creek.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Good news ! The new guy down the road had a cat come in and clean up the road `good enough for two wheel to get in and out`. This makes it easier as I won`t have to pay to have the road done up to the RV. I`m having a new forest plan done by the same guy to see about having a culvert and pad put in and maybe making some money in the process. He also does hard woods! He may also end up cutting fire wood and we would split the money. Last forest plan showed 3000 cord of fire wood. His new forest plan ,if excepted would allow for 3 acres of soft woods and the dead and dying. Could come to some change and let me get on my property much sooner!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Dam just had the work up on replacing the heater core on the blazer and it will run $900.00+. Everything needs to be broken down to get to it, even the seats need to be taken out! Over 9 hours labor and $88.00 for a new core. That and it still has a bunch of smaller stuff that needs fixed on the inside like the door skin coming lose on the driver`s side, the vanity mirror cover hinges, the lighter has no power, struts on the back window and a noisy rattle inside in the back somewhere. It`s a very good looking and running rig but dam that`s going to cost me to get it in great shape! I also want to see about having a performance chip, heavy brush guard and wench put on it. Also better stereo system and satellite radio and maybe a GPS map after market devise because no body carries maps anymore! Spent 5+ hours in the LA area going from gas station to gas station asking directions and looking for a paper map! Hell couldn`t even find anyone who knew the name of the street there gas station was on !!!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
What makes things worse is the wipers crapped out on the Silverado and it is going to be rainy into mid April.

I just got some sprouted seeds planted before the rain started. I`m going to be starting more though because I`ll need maybe 130 started just to insure I get 60 females for my grow. If I get some extra females they will become mom`s for cloning. Started Cherry Kush, Chemdog 91 x ToK, and Cough Drop Kush. I`m thinking of just running three strains this year so everything in each of two rows under each tunnel is of the same strain. Each strain is dank and produces well in this climate. With a full on greenhouse and Screen of Green I`m looking to get 100 lbs out of the next grow. That`s less than 2 lbs. each so shouldn`t be a problem if I get the early enough start on them this year. I figure I got about 65-70 last year but much of it went to waste when I got sick in the middle of harvest. Looks like I`ll have to wait until mid April to work on the soil and cover because of the rains. Gives me more time to finish up the trimming and work on some of the equipment. Also going to be looking for an other used RV and if it rains it will be harder to cover up a roof that leaks. Can`t trust hardly anyone these days! I must be one of the last people on earth that has any honor anymore. People are just getting rotten and untrustworthy. Never used to run into so many dishonest people as you do these days.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK now it`s starting to snow. This is bad as I just planted sprouted seeds out there! I`m wondering if I should call a tow truck and for which truck. The Silverado needs a wiper controller but the heat/defrost works while the wipers work on the Blazer but without a good heater core it will not defrost. I need to work on both but which one first? I won`t really need the Silverado for a while as don`t really need to hall anything until the weather brakes. Maybe the Blazer? I could take the Silverado down to pick it up if it isn`t raining and then have it worked on? It`s my work truck and it needs a lot of stuff done on it to get it into shape for the grow. I will be depending on it for water, fire wood, getting worm castings and any soil I may need and because it now has a lumber rack, pvc pipe and any lumber I get. The Blazer is for trips for supplies and doctor visits ,etc. Maybe trips to the city and to visit the kids. Humm ... Which one first?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m thinking the Silverado first because it will be the cheapest and once the wiper controller is replaced I`ll be able to drive it ,but the Blazer can be driven now if I keep pulling over to wipe the window off on the inside. I won`t be stuck up here that way. The Blazer is a two day job to fix anyway. I send for a tow truck tomorrow . I`m ok until then. What else can I do? Not sure how I`ll get the blazer back after it gets fixed as I can`t drive two trucks at once.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Honda Generator mostly. I have a small solar charger and inverter hooked up to(4) 12v marine batteries on the RV. I run my generator a few hours a day and charge up my cell phone, modem, and anything else while putting a good charge on the shore batteries in the RV. I also watch dvd`s or tv when it`s on. I have a 5500/6500 watt Honda and if needed a n 8000/10000 watt Subaru generator. When I get set down on the creek I want to set up a bigger solar array and maybe a windmill generator. I`ll still use a generator for backup. A lot of the stuff on the RV is propane or 12v . Just don`t want to get everything set up here on the ridge and then have to move it all.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh I also have a 410 watt inverter in the truck if I need it.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The problem is you ether need a very large set up that you never deplete the holding power it stores or be able to charge up the storage batteries on dim light days especially in Winter. It will be cheaper as more people sign on in Grid situations but that two has it`s problems. To many people start to sign on and the lines are not ready for the traffic, Those who are last end up with all the line expenses. It`s happening in Hawaii right now. I`m all the way off grid so Little different. It would cost way to much to put in power poles, lines and transformers to get power in and it would be cheaper to put in a good solar system. No way around it, going to cost to bring civilization to my patch of forest. But once done it will be worth it.

Shamus

Shamus

they have solar power pumps for large fountains.. im not sure how long it has to go but if under a few hundred yards have u considered using somethin like that instead of trips back and forth?

ftwendy

ftwendy

What about a windmill MC? Either primary or as supplemental source of energy

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
they have solar power pumps for large fountains.. im not sure how long it has to go but if under a few hundred yards have u considered using somethin like that instead of trips back and forth?
It`s almost a mile from the ridge to the creek and very steep , much to far to pump water from the creek. Also the bear love to chew on water lines up there. Best bet is to keep trucking the water up until I can move down to the creek. Could use a bigger water tank for the truck so I can carry more at a time.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
What about a windmill MC? Either primary or as supplemental source of energy
Yes thinking a windmill would be a good idea to use along with solar to keep power going, only thing is how durable could they be with moving parts? And a lot of the time there is no wind. Not sure about costs vs. rsults but worth looking into.

My biggest problem in getting down to the creek is cost. It cost one guy 6 grand to survey 2.5 acres up here. I have 10 acres. Then I need to put a culvert in and a pad as well as fix the road better. Once I`m past that point I need a septic, and solar power. I really need a well put in for cleaner water ,that`s 15 grand or so right their! It`s going to cost a lot of money to get to that point. But once done it will be pretty much done for ever. The road will need some work every few years . Put a cement pad with a lodge poll and metal roof over an RV , fence the pad and put a gate up at the property line and maybe a out building and greenhouse and it`s home! Just takes $ to make the dream. I keep having set backs, but I`m not giving up.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Spent the last day trying to get my wipers fixed. The column was broken when I got the truck and you couldn`t use the dimmers. Then the wiper switch went out. They finally found a used column for the truck but it won`t be here until Tuesday? I did stock up on gas and propane and got two new tires for the front of the truck. It`s my water huller for the grow so now is the time to get it in shape.

Started more seeds today so I`ll have enough to insure more females. Looking like more rain, we need it but it sure does slow me down on getting things done! I`d like to get one more load of water and work on the fire wood pile. I need to get the broken tunnel down and replace what parts are needed. I also would like to get a jump on amendments for the soil and some ferts for the next grow. I have time but I just want to be ahead of the game this year. Soon as I have some babies popping up I`ll take some pics.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I scuff them in a box that has sandpaper glued to the top and bottom then wash them in hydro peroxide and soak them in a cup of water in front of the oven on low until they pop then plant them in inert soil. Keep them wet and slightly warm until they come up. They are transplanted before they can become root bound, then watch them until they show sex at about 3 months. Then it depends if they are for breeding, a bud grow or to make mom`s to clone from. This batch may be used for all three if I get enough.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
It costs about $10 for 6 hours worth of fuel to run the generator . That would come out to $40 a day at 24 hours. Also plants from seed need to be about 3 months old before they will show sex. Clones are genetically as old as the mother plants they were taken from but not plants from seed. Once you know the females you can clone them all you want and will get nothing but females from female mother plants. If I had steady power and a grow room I`d be able to have all female clones of a good size from my own genetics in time to plant by June 1rst. They really don`t need to be over a foot tall as that would give them time to become full sized plants before they flower. Starting anything bigger/older won`t help you have more yield.

Got about an inch of hail last night covering the ground. It froze last night and didn't melt. Not sure if my sprouted seeds will come up now but if they make It, will set them back. To make things worse the oven in my RV stopped working. I`ve been using it for my heat because the fan on the central heat runs the batteries down and it stops working after that. I just need a newer RV as I`ve been living in this used 1991 Gulf Stream for almost 5 years. It`s getting to run down and would cost to much to fix up. Really need an Artic Fox or other type of 4 season RV. Seams like All I do is spin my wheels and get no where. I want to be putting my money into my land!!!!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Rocking chair syndrome welcome to the club ...how are you staying warm?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Shit weather report calls for snow tonight down to 3000 foot! I`m at about 4200 foot. Maybe as much as a foot of snow!!! I was going to have the truck into the shop Tuesday and the Blazer in soon as the truck gets done. I can`t even tow it if I get a foot of snow here. I hate the weather we been getting so much! I may have to run the generator over night just to keep warm! Looks like an other year of late plants and lower than could be yields. Only way out of it would be to buy clones of unknown origin and take a gamble on the genetics. Now I`ll have to rethink all my plans for the next few days and for the future of my grow season!

Top Bottom