Meeks' 2013 Dapper Grow Log

• Thread starter nMEEKS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jlr42024

jlr42024

My bad fellas I admit I was watching the early pre game BS when reading his response and didn't really get it but I read it again and found my answer. The Q & A thread was just meant as a compliment btw. Thanks for taking your time with all of our questions your knowledge is invaluable. Its rare that somebody actually has the schooling and isn't preaching they're personal uneducated opinions.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
^awesome hahaha
Thanks. . it was :)
My bad fellas I admit I was watching the early pre game BS when reading his response and didn't really get it but I read it again and found my answer. The Q & A thread was just meant as a compliment btw. Thanks for taking your time with all of our questions your knowledge is invaluable. Its rare that somebody actually has the schooling and isn't preaching they're personal uneducated opinions.
No worries JLR, thank you for the very kind words!

Week 3 update for the White Skunk seedlings!

Moved them under the 1000w HPS today, will be transplanting them this week when I have time!

I treated the whole grow room with Azamax this morning to hopefully knock back the fungus gnats that have been around since summer, they come and go but tend to get high populations towards the end of each grow. Hopefully there isn't much stress from the drench I applied.

I will be taking clones of each genotype when I have time also.

IMG 7442
IMG 7444

-Meeks

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Hey Buddy,

Everything's looking good

I bet they'll love that new light!

What media do you usually clone in?

GR33N
They are looking pretty good, a little rough around the edges in my opinion, but they will hopefully be back on track by next week. I usually clone in rockwool, although I have had success cloning into coco and pearlite also! This time I will be cloning into Oasis if I can get my hands on a sheet of cubes in time.

soserthc1

soserthc1

question time , question time get your note books out everyone , When do you trim up the bottom leaves out of the way - obvious after cloning but interested in your thinking on - when and in what stage early flower or before , as always meeks looking good and thanks for the info, nice play on the super bowl but i don't think i would of made the whole bowl after that bowl.....peace soser

jlr42024

jlr42024

Professor Meeks I noticed in some of your pics you got the leaf canoe curl happening and I was wondering what causes that? I noticed it usually takes place late into flower but I have a few cuts I just took that are starting to do that already. I thought it had to do with the resin content buildup but that's not the case with these fresh cuts. I hope I'm not asking to many questions Meeks its hard not to when you drop so much knowledge on us!

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
question time , question time get your note books out everyone , When do you trim up the bottom leaves out of the way - obvious after cloning but interested in your thinking on - when and in what stage early flower or before , as always meeks looking good and thanks for the info, nice play on the super bowl but i don't think i would of made the whole bowl after that bowl.....peace soser

I will fill an answer in here when I have time tonight or this week Soser, sorry for the delay.

Professor Meeks I noticed in some of your pics you got the leaf canoe curl happening and I was wondering what causes that? I noticed it usually takes place late into flower but I have a few cuts I just took that are starting to do that already. I thought it had to do with the resin content buildup but that's not the case with these fresh cuts. I hope I'm not asking to many questions Meeks its hard not to when you drop so much knowledge on us!
Let me know if this answers your question before I go into a different answer:
+/-DIF & Epinasty (click the link)

-Meeks

drknockbootz

drknockbootz

mr.meeks .....I see you dont use any bloom boosters. Do you feel your plants respond better with a steady npk throughout flowering(yield) vs spiking p/k?
Also what range of temp/humidity/co2 do you plan to stay with in during flowering?

I have to say your thread is the most informative thread on the farm right now, really appreciate it.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
There is no necessity to skirt (industry term for pruning lower leaves near the soil line) the plants at any point. Many growers do it for a couple of reasons, and depending on your motivation for doing it, there may be different timings you are shooting for. In the horticultural industry, we would only spend the man hours doing it before sleeving and packing the plants for shipping/sale to improve the plants aesthetic appearance for sale, not growth. But cannabis growers have shifted into growing much larger plants than normal greenhouse production plants and so things change a little bit.

The main reason a grower would want to do skirting of the plant in the vegetative stage would be if they were concerned with botrytis (disease). Leaving young leaves to sit in the media (contact with a wet surface) in combination with hand watering can result in minor leaf damage from the water force, which will make the plant vulnerable to the very opportunistic botrytis. It is important to recognize that if this is your concern, pruning the leaves with clean tools/hands and avoiding excessive tissue exposure when making cuts are critical precautions.

The second reason a grower might do leaf removal of lower canopy leaves would be at a time when they believe the leaves are past their prime maturity and beginning to decline in efficiency. As leaves develop they take a huge amount of energy, making young immature leaves a sink. Once they reach close to their mature size, they begin to produce more energy than they consume for growth and maintaining functionality, making them sources. Then, after a period of time (different for all plants) they are past their ideal maturity and begin to decline in efficiency. The process of senescence begins and the plant breaks down chlorophyll and other structures to recover nutrients and energy where it can before abscising the leaf. As this process takes place, a layer called the abscission layer forms between the base of the petiole (leaf stem) and the plant stem. You may have noticed how much easier it is to pull a leaf off a tree in the fall versus the spring or summer. . . this is because the abscission layer has formed in preparation for defoliation and winter dormancy. The ideal time to remove lower canopy leaves from your plant is when this layer begins to form, to minimize the wound/susceptibility to disease at the site of removal. With experience you will be able to feel the resistance of a leaf and tell whether or not it wants to come off or not based on resistance/presence of the abscission layer. If this is the reason you are removing leaves, it is important not to remove too many leaves at once, and to make sure you only remove leaves that are heavily obstructed from light or are past their ideal maturity and therefore functioning as sinks rather than sources of energy for the plant.

Another reason, as I just mentioned, is if lower leaves become so heavily obstructed from light (more common in indoor gardens with a fixed light source rather than a shifting natural sun) that they are no longer able to efficiently photosynthesize, they are still consuming energy through respiration and still consuming water and nutrients through transpiration. . . so they are worth removing to maximize your growth. If this is why you are doing leaf removal you may not be able to wait for an abscission layer to form if your plant is growing vigorously and you don't do LST or some other method of canopy spreading to allow light to penetrate deeper. You have two options for leaf removal technique. The classic prune at stem level (removing both the leaf blade and the leaf petiole), or just leaf blade removal. The concept behind removing just the leaf blade is that the plant will seal off the end of the petiole easier than a wound on the surface of the main stem, then after the plant realizes the leaf blade is gone (no more auxin being produced from that location), the plant will begin the natural abscission process (forming an abscission layer at the stem) and you can come back and remove the petiole later without create exposure for botrytis or other opportunistic diseases.

Lastly, many growers have problems controlling powdery mildew and other diseases like bud rot that will thrive if the air circulation is limited. If this is your concern, the decision of how many leaves and when to remove them must be made on a garden by garden basis, with anticipation of when you know the problem to occur for you. Many times, proper environmental control and plant spacing/structuring is the answer to removing these concerns, rather than pruning leaves after you notice the canopy is too thick.

Each strain will grow slightly differently, so there is no set in stone day, height, or leaf number to go by. . . only experience and good record keeping will help you dial this part of growing in. I hope this answer helps, I am sure you knew a bunch of what I mentioned already, but I thought it would help to include for the community at large.

mr.meeks .....I see you dont use any bloom boosters. Do you feel your plants respond better with a steady npk throughout flowering(yield) vs spiking p/k?
Also what range of temp/humidity/co2 do you plan to stay with in during flowering?

I have to say your thread is the most informative thread on the farm right now, really appreciate it.
That's correct DrKB. The only nutrient I would consider bumping up as flowering reached its peak would be nitrogen, but I currently do not. The spike in P during mid bloom might help promote more floral bud initiation, but the way most growers use a P/K boost they are just provoking a salt stress reaction (which may also promote more flowering). Every plant is different, so I can't say positively one way or another that cannabis does or doesn't respond well to a P/K spike. . . but from what I know, most plants are not fertilized this way to encourage the boost in flowering that growers are hoping for.

I am currently running 64-65F nights and 75-77F days with as high a humidity as I can get at the moment. . . running around 57%RH this week, but preferably I would be around 75-80% for veg, and then in the 65-70% range for early and mid flowering, than I drop down to 60% for late flowering to avoid disease risk. I usually bump my temps up to 66-67F nights and 78-80F days during peak flowering (especially if I have increased my nutrient ppms for peak flowering growth or if my canopy is closer than 24" from the bulb), and then drop back down to where I am now before they finish.

I actually haven't been augmenting my CO2 since last spring. . . there is a gas water heater in the corner of the grow room for the attached house and the ppms of CO2 tend to float around 450 when I'm not in the room. If I was feeling motivated and rich I would refill my propane tank and get the CO2 generator going again. . . but my results haven't demanded it, so I haven't refilled it since the last time it went empty. 800-1000ppm is all that is needed if you do want to augment your CO2, and it is most important during the early morning, before your room is hot, when you may not be using cooling fans, which refresh your CO2 as they exchange air with the outside environment.

Thanks for taking the time to read the information that comes out in my threads, it is a two sided process that relies on reader participation from people like you!

-Meeks

jlr42024

jlr42024

Thanks Meeks I read that previously but it does not apply a far as the temp changes at night my night temps are always at least 10 degrees cooler then day temp. The problem I'm having is happening under constant temps and 24 hr lights for veg So I'm thinking its a nutrient problem my soil might be a little hot. You said at the beginning of that post you had a lock out then temp problem could I be having this problem from lock out only?

jlr42024

jlr42024

Meeks I just read through your other post again and noticed you might have been referring to the leaf curl at the tips curling up or down. Just to be clear I was referring to the leaf roll or canoe looking curl along the longer edges of the leaf. I'm not sure if your answer meant to include this type of curl also but I just wanted to be clear. Thanks again professor...

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Thanks Meeks I read that previously but it does not apply a far as the temp changes at night my night temps are always at least 10 degrees cooler then day temp. The problem I'm having is happening under constant temps and 24 hr lights for veg So I'm thinking its a nutrient problem my soil might be a little hot. You said at the beginning of that post you had a lock out then temp problem could I be having this problem from lock out only?
Meeks I just read through your other post again and noticed you might have been referring to the leaf curl at the tips curling up or down. Just to be clear I was referring to the leaf roll or canoe looking curl along the longer edges of the leaf. I'm not sure if your answer meant to include this type of curl also but I just wanted to be clear. Thanks again professor...

I don't have time to give a long answer right now, but maybe you can help me out before I get back online by answering a few questions I have about what you said here. . .

How can your night always be 10 degrees cooler when you are running a 24 lights on cycle? (there is no night period for it to be cooler. . .)

More specifically, what are your "constant" day temps, and what range do you experience for temps at night (night being defined as the period where your plants are not receiving light, not your actual night time)?

In my previous post I was referring to leaf Epinasty, which is a downward curl of the leaf margins and tips caused by the top surface of the leaf growing faster than the bottom surface, which creates the curl effect. When you say "canoe", are you referring to upward curling of the leaf margins?

I normally discourage people from posting pictures in my threads, but if you could upload a thumbnail photo of the problem, or maybe link me to your thread that shows the problem, that would be helpful.

-Meeks

jlr42024

jlr42024

Oh man I'm sorry let me clarify but first by all means please answer questions only when you have spare time I'm in no way trying to cut into your schooling or personal time and I apologize if I'm asking to many. Ok so what I meant was in my flowering room I have a day temp of aprx 78 and night of 68aprx and in my veg room its a constant 80 or so. Yes I'm referring to the upward curl or rolling effect down the sides not at the tip. I usually only notice it on leaves that are caked in resin. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Oh man I'm sorry let me clarify but first by all means please answer questions only when you have spare time I'm in no way trying to cut into your schooling or personal time and I apologize if I'm asking to many. Ok so what I meant was in my flowering room I have a day temp of aprx 78 and night of 68aprx and in my veg room its a constant 80 or so. Yes I'm referring to the upward curl or rolling effect down the sides not at the tip. I usually only notice it on leaves that are caked in resin. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for getting back to me quickly JLR, no worries about asking questions. This thread is going to end up having a ton of information to help out The Farm!

The canoeing or zippering effect you are seeing is most likely caused by heat. Just like people, the plant has a natural cooling system. People sweat (perspire), then that sweat evaporates and absorbs heat from our bodies as it vaporizes. . . plants transpire, and there is heat removed from the plant as that water vaporizes into the air from the leaf pores (stomata). The majority of stomata are located on the underside of the leaf surface, so when the plant wants to increase its cooling, it attempts to increase its transpiration by increasing the exposure of the stomata to the environment. The plant increases air flow and therefore transpiration and cooling by curling upwards to expose more of the underside of the leaf.

I would suggest dropping both your night time and day time temps by a couple degrees if you can, and potentially check the temp of your water, because cooler water (65 degrees) can help maintain your plants temperature at a more ideal level. Although be careful not to create a -DIF situation with cold water, as cold water can have the same result as cold air if applied during the day time period and is colder than the night time temps.

The reason you have most often seen this associated with leaves that are covered in trichomes is because the trichomes increase the boundary layer (the lack of fluid/gas movement at the surface of an object) and therefore the plant has to compensate for that reduced air flow, reduced transpiration, and therefore reduced cooling, by curling its leaves upward in the canoe shape.

I hope this answers your question, and remember, air temperature is not necessarily plant temperature (high light intensity can increase the plant temp. well above the air temp.). An investment I plan on making very soon is an electronic infrared surface thermometer. . . probably one designed for checking the temp. of a turkey, but it should serve the same purpose for checking and recording data on my leaf temps at different canopy levels.

-Meeks

jlr42024

jlr42024

Unbelievable Meeks that's the best answer I've gotten for that question and its not surprising I got it from you. You definitely have a way with explaining information that is a real gift it would be a shame if you don't end up doing some kind of teaching bro and you're right this and your other thread its full of great info. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions I wish there were a way we could pay you back somehow.

Quazi

Quazi

This is probably one of the best grow logs I have read in a while. U R straight killing it over there nMeeks. I am definitely subbed up to watch how these White Skunks turn out for u. I really haven't seen any grow logs of this strain done yet, so im very interested in seeing what kinda fire u come ahead with.

kendog000

kendog000

Man Meeksy, do ya know how long it took for me to read all the recent info on the last couple pages hahaha. You throw so much information out in this thread it lows my mind. Just the info on the purple stems is insane. You desire to share whats in that brain of yours makes you one of a kind my friend. Folks help people out all the time, but the info your posting is basically takin people to school!!!
Thanks fr all ya do brother, oh yeah, those Raskal hunnnies look kill for such a young age

Peace and be well
Ken

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Unbelievable Meeks that's the best answer I've gotten for that question and its not surprising I got it from you. You definitely have a way with explaining information that is a real gift it would be a shame if you don't end up doing some kind of teaching bro and you're right this and your other thread its full of great info. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions I wish there were a way we could pay you back somehow.
Thank you so much! You can repay me by continuing to read my threads and participate in making them the sources of information they are!

This is probably one of the best grow logs I have read in a while. U R straight killing it over there nMeeks. I am definitely subbed up to watch how these White Skunks turn out for u. I really haven't seen any grow logs of this strain done yet, so im very interested in seeing what kinda fire u come ahead with.
Very kind words Quazi, they are much appreciated! Welcome to the thread, it seems to be a mix between a smoking party and a classroom right now which is just fine by me! The White Skunks are coming along nicely and will be flipped to flowering very shortly! Photos coming over the weekend most likely.

Man Meeksy, do ya know how long it took for me to read all the recent info on the last couple pages hahaha. You throw so much information out in this thread it lows my mind. Just the info on the purple stems is insane. You desire to share whats in that brain of yours makes you one of a kind my friend. Folks help people out all the time, but the info your posting is basically takin people to school!!!
Thanks fr all ya do brother, oh yeah, those Raskal hunnnies look kill for such a young age

Peace and be well
Ken
Haha Ken, yeah, I get surprised myself when I take a look at how much is already in this month old thread! Half the information I post is me reiterating a lecture or part of a lecture from a recent class, if my notes were more organized I would just post them up and save myself some time :) I am taking a class called 'potted plant production' right now, along with 'abiotic plant problems' . . . so I get a bunch of good info every week worth sharing! We are all growing a plant that is being consumed and I think it is up to those in the know to help those who are learning so that we all stay safe. Have a great weekend bro!

-Meeks

nMEEKS

nMEEKS

Horticulturist
Supporter
Good Morning Farmers, I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

It has been a couple weeks since I posted any photo updates and I'm sorry for that, I was caught up with midterm exams.

The White Skunk ladies are doing well, still a tiny bit rough around the edges because I have been experiencing 45-50% RH (much too low) and haven't had a moment to spare to get a humidifier in there to solve the problem. The problems caused by the low %RH are: slowed growth (the plant can control the dilation of its stomata based on temperature and RH, which leads to reduced transpiration and therefore reduced water and nutrient intake) and mid-day wilt (AKA reduced plant turgidity).

The slowed growth is tough to show in photos, since you would really only be able to see a difference in plants grown under more ideal conditions that would be larger. . . but the mid-day wilt is clearly visible in the photos that I will post because I took them just a few minutes before lights off and the plants are really drooping.

I was hoping to flip to 12/12 lighting at exactly 5 weeks from seed germination. . .but that may be extended to 5.5 or 6 weeks depending on how this week goes and what I have time for.

First off, here are the White Skunks last week at just under 4 weeks from seed germination after being topped above the 5th node:

WS 4 Weeks1
WS 4 Weeks2
WS 4 Weeks3
WS 4 Weeks4

These photos were taken a day or two after transplant from #1 nursery pots to #3 nursery pots, which are roughly 2.5 gallons. I am no longer using pure Canna Coco. I decided to amend my canna coco with a bit of Gypsum this round for some extra Calcium in the mix. I will let you know how it goes, so far so good.

Now for the more recent photos that display the mid-day wilt I was mentioning

Here are the White Skunks last night at just under 5 weeks from seed germination:
WS 5 Weeks1
WS 5 Weeks3
WS 5 Weeks4
WS 5 Weeks5
WS 5 Weeks2

The roots were poking out the bottom of the #3 pots within 36 hours and now they are really filling in a week later:
WS 5 Weeks6

WS 5 Weeks7

And lastly, I wanted to mention the fertilizer recipe I am using again, because I am really liking it for veg growth so far, and can't wait to see how it does in flower! The recipe is designed to work for both and is also easily manipulated for different light intensities by diluting the mix down by 100-150 ppm.

In a single gallon of RO, the following will mix up to approx. 740ppm, which is ideal for 400-1000w lighting in veg.

1.33g MonoPotassiumPhosphate (MKP)
0.1g MOST + 0.1g Fe DPTA
1.6g Epsom Salt
2.44g Calcium-Nitrate

If you dilute that mix down with a little extra RO, and bring it to approx. 580-650ppm, it will be perfect for veg growth of plants under T5 fluorescent bulbs!

Here are a few photos of my mother stock plants getting this treatment right now:
Mothers under T52
Mothers under T51
Mothers under T53
Mothers under T54

(note that I do not baby my stock plants in the slightest, they are often unwatered until wilted and rarely pruned until they burn themselves by touching the light, but they still look like this because of proper nutrition!)

Thanks for taking a look at my thread, don't miss all the good information in the text-only posts also! I hope you like the veg. pictures :D, flowering is just around the corner!

-Meeks

Top Bottom