Met 52 stops Root Aphids

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
if met works like it says it does, then it should spread throughout the colony until it is fully eradicated. so far, that is not the case and it has been 6 weeks. these fungal spores are supposed to spread from aphid to aphid until all are dead.
In a perfect world that is what should happen, and god i hope it does.
However, there are a lot of factors that can affect that out come: uneven distribution of thr fungus, heavily infested plants next to lightly infested plants, all kinds of shit. I went into this assuming that it had a great chance of not working because nothing else seems to, so i did all i could to ensure success, but i dont want to jump the gun and bail on it because i see a container with 2 aphids still alive (which is my current status, approximately). If i was running gear like you and surfr id be trippin too, for sure, im just trying to get an idea of what others have/ have not done to help this product work for them. I cant afford this shit repeatedly. Anyway, trying to stay positive, these fuckers suck! Have you seen ANY effect at all bro? Surfr? Would like to know. Best of luck to all fighting this shit. Motiv

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Verdict is still out for me, but i think that level of infestation, prep of medium and containers ( pre mix in met before transplant into sterilized containers), cleanliness of environment, etc.... Will all affect the outcome and effectiveness of met52, or any other for that matter. I think some people may think you can just toss this stuff in and wham, problem solved. Most of us know better, i believe, but im curious about the other steps of preparation people have taken. I know that i did a fuckton of stetilization, cleaning, traps, pyrithium bombs, cloning my plants and removing heavily infested root balls and sterilizing containers before transplanting with met. Anybody else do the same? Best of luck to all, fuck these bastard bugs! Peace all! Motiv

I am very thorough in everything I do. Complete sterilization is the norm for me. I do a total tear down and clean after each round. I cleaned pots, floors, walls, hoods, bulbs, ballasts, shelves, trays, you name it, it was cleaned. I also set of 3 P bombs 3 days apart from each other along with a Fungaflor bomb. All infected plants were cloned and thrown away. I mixed 10 grams of Met per gallon of medium and mixed it WELL. I could see rice hulls in every pot. After a couple weeks, there was amazing fungal spread I guess you would call it, you could see it growing throughout the pots. There are pots ranging from 4" squares to 3 gallon. EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS APHIDS IN IT.

I have seen no ill effects, the plants are large and lush.. But, aphids seem to only effect flowering plants and not vegging ones. I have no flowering plants ATM.

motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
I am very thorough in everything I do. Complete sterilization is the norm for me. I do a total tear down and clean after each round. I cleaned pots, floors, walls, hoods, bulbs, ballasts, shelves, trays, you name it, it was cleaned. I also set of 3 P bombs 3 days apart from each other along with a Fungaflor bomb. All infected plants were cloned and thrown away. I mixed 10 grams of Met per gallon of medium and mixed it WELL. I could see rice hulls in every pot. After a couple weeks, there was amazing fungal spread I guess you would call it, you could see it growing throughout the pots. There are pots ranging from 4" squares to 3 gallon. EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS APHIDS IN IT.

I have seen no ill effects, the plants are large and lush.. But, aphids seem to only effect flowering plants and not vegging ones. I have no flowering plants ATM.

Damn brother, stoked to hear that you took the same precautions i did, supremely disappointed to hear it still isnt working. Well, i will update as my time passes and just hope that the aphids are running from the met and thats what we are seeing. These fucking things seem unstoppable without GNARLY chems , but at least the negative effects have stopped or been minimized long enough for plants to finish hopefully. Mothers are another issue, wish you well bro. Let us know if u see improvement or find another, better option.
Peace man! Motiv

Resinable

Resinable

Sorry to hear about folks not having success with Met. Here are some thoughts I would like to share:

I spoke with an entomologist the other day and we looked at some soil samples and bugs from my grow. One conclusion we reached was that for now I appear, I stress appear, to be aphid free. The entomologist identified a large population of soil mites in my medium and said it was a sign of healthy soil. Some were feeding on detritus some were predator mites. The only aphid we found was a dead one on a sticky trap. Unfortunately, my plants still look like crap. They show symptoms similar to that caused by root aphid infestation which leads me to believe that I may have a root disease caused initially by root aphids and prolonged by a previously unidentified problem with my water source.

After seeing all the problems people are having and different results with the same treatments I would like to make a suggestion. Be sure to get a proper ID of your pest by an entomologist. Yes, it is worth the trouble. You won't be able to find the proper treatment without knowing for sure what pest you are dealing with.

I think MET does work against some if not all aphids. If it is not working for you, you might not have root aphids or maybe some varieties are less vulnerable to MET. Also I noticed that when using a light medium with a very high rate of air filled porosity which requires frequent waterings, the MET is inhibited by the mechanical force of the top waterings. I left a tote of MET treated coco-perlite mix sitting around and it had tremendous amount of fungal bloom compared to my containers.

Anyway I hope my experience might be useful to someone. I urge those of you facing troubles in your gardens to keep fighting with logic and reason being your primary weapons. Be persistent and try to consider all the possible sources of your problems and eventually you will succeed.

Sufrer: In my experience if you have root aphids your plants will look like shit regardless of wether they are in veg or flower. But you could have a different variety. What do yours look like and how big are they? How any legs? "Dual carbs" sticking out their backsides?

Rajajaja

Rajajaja

Most poisons like bayer ect have wetting agents in it "soap" and that kills fungi ... So treating after a poisoning may not work as good.
Also 2 mil of agave nectar t0 16 oz water will make a nice food for fungi"high brix" .. I use it to make liquid cultures when I grow my shroom's.. It makes the cultures grow really fast..
lastly in water that has fluoride in it, inhibits growth of fungi and bacteria . at least in the beginning stage i would let water sit out for 12 hr till it evaporates .

best of luck fellas
Doozy

O

oldschooltofu

read some threads.

i have read about a virus the aphids carry, if you are aphid free you prob got the virus.
also you need to do an insecticidal soap drench. wash the roots, as the white waxy stuff the aphids leave behind inhibit nut uptake. so wash those roots. feed with some roots excelarator or other root stimulator.

also i highly recommend doing either mighty wash or pyrethums drenches to help kill them off while the met takes hold.

for the first time in a long time i have healthy white roots coming out my drainage holes. i have not seen a flyer in 2 months or more....about to harvest in 1-2 weeks my first MET plants, and i can def see the difference. met works. needs to be mixed in early and get good coverage. its difficult to get to work if you already have root balls. but if you clone and plant the clones in MET soil/coco that has been inoculating for 2-3 weeks and you can see the fungus growing in it. you will have a good harvest without loosing strains.

Rajajaja

Rajajaja

I notice that root aphids gave me root rot and mildew :( kicked my ass
\
\

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

OST: do you have any links to the virus info? I would love to know more about that.

Also, the PDF posed earlier in the thread () mentions mixing crab meal with the soil when you mix in the met 52. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you all for such great info!

treebark1950

treebark1950

Well I've been preaching about how well met has worked for me, I spoke too soon...

Entering week 6 of flowering and they are back in full force some plants are doing worse then others, the RAs are sucking all my nutes from my ladies, some worse then others but met at 2 gram per gallon didn't do shit for me in the end. I thought I had a nute lck out but it wasn't it was these damn RAs!

I'm gonna have a terrible yield...7k room :hunter::mad0229: hopefully I can pull a few ps of buds. My patients are gonna be so sad, as most of this is donated to some sick people's.

I've started using 5 grams per gallon in my other rooms and caps foilar pack, hopefully i can win the war but I have lost the first battle. I may do a top dressing of like 5 more grams per gallon....

Also gonna go crazy with caps packs as I see people having success.

Gonna tear the room apart after trimming and clean every inch, new floor, bleach everything, damn this sucks...

Good luck farmers.

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

Sorry to hear that. I just used 7lbs. of this met I hope it works. I also switched soil brands and went with pro-mix, I don't see met being very effective if I bring in fresh new RAs with every transplanting. Now my plants seem to be healthy again. I still have some leftover problems such as fungus gnats but those I'm sure came from mothers that have yet to be replaced. Good luck bark.

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

That sucks treebark. I hope things go better for you in the future. I'm still waiting on the Met52, don't want to order out of colorado, working on connections with ag suppliers etc.

Here is an important question:
When you got your MET52 did it ship with an ice pack? The manufacturer ships it with dry ice and the retailer I talked to stores it in fridge. It has a short shelf life because it's a live product. If you got it without ice in the package, who knows how long your supplier stored it at room temp. It must be refrigerated until use! (per manufacturer)

Anyway, great info. Let's keep the learning going.

treebark1950

treebark1950

No, no one told me about keeping it cold. I talked with Susan at gmh directly...

And it wasn't shipped with dry ice, just in a plain box.

Now this def has me wondering!

Could my 22lb bag be bad?

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I would put it in the fridge ASAP and call Susan when you can and ask her what the storage conditions were. I wouldn't be too accusatory. [needlessly confrontational language removed] But don't take my word for it, I've never used the stuff and only talked to Susan once.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
What's all the dudes who pushed this stuff like crazy have to say about all this?? These guys were on here claiming the 10th wonder of the world and now no one says anything??? hmmmm.... And the dry ice/fridge thing is interesting to say the least.. IF is was stored and shipped improperly, some kind of refund needs to take place.

treebark1950

treebark1950

It says on my label that it should be stored at less then 73 degrees but nothing about being refrigerated. And the sell by date is not stamped on it. Damn I'm a little worried, I spent almost 600 bucks on this damn thing and so far it DIDN"T work!!!

I'm def gonna give her a call and just to see what her thoughts are, def not gonna be accusatory.

E

ECOutlaw

You guys using it on all stages of growth? Gotta get it on the clones before they root. On top of the rapid rooters is were I see the MET really spawn.

Everyday I read this thread with my breakfast along with a few other aphid threads. Sucks to see you guys still suffering and it makes me nervous that maybe I'm not as aphid free as I thought...

motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
I store mine in a dark cool bin as well, no fridge, never heard anything about that. Last night i pulled one of Somango x Mendo purps out of the pot and the fucking aphids were climbing all over the green met fungus and they are coming back heavily.i didnt have 3 weeks to let the fungus start growing on the medium before transplant so maybe it will still work, trying to stay optimistic. However, i did go out and buy Bayer tree and shrub plus Spectracide Triazicide last night just in case. I REALLY do not want to use these products but, fuck man, the met doesnt seem to be doing shit yet. Fuck these lil bastards man. Good luck everybody! Peace. Motiv

treebark1950

treebark1950

I had given the met almost 8 weeks of veg to get the soil nice and inoculated. I did a super slow up pot to make sure it had time to totally take hold. 4" square pots, to a one gallon, then to a 3, then to a 10, adding met each time.

So far my conclusion is the Met Doesn't work. I didn't wanna chance any more spreading of the STD (its what I call RAs), as I tossed a bunch of moms and their containers and the dirt. This totally sucks as I thought I had all angles covered, if I didn't have the freaking RA's my upcoming harvest would be a HOME RUN! But nope, gonna be my worst run to date!!!!!:mad0229:

I still have a bunch of Met left over and I'll continue to use it but I still just don't know if it really works, so far I'm leaning toward the inclination that it doesn't do jack.

But I'm no expert just a farmer with a 7k room that is slowing getting worse and worse, hell not even slowly, i can see negative progression each day!

I should have spent the 600 bucks I wasted on Met and bought 600 bucks worth of CAPs foilar packs because those work. GOD has been treating his op with CAPs foilar and reusing his soil and he hasnt had a gnat or RA since, I talked to him about this when he came to check out my RA problem.

Maybe we should start a new thread about Met Doesn't stop RA's but CAPs packs do!

My other rooms that have been treated with CAPs packs have NO bugs in their soil after about a soild 2 weeks. No Gnats, No flyers, No anything but super duper happy plants!!

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Sorry brother... I am glad I caught your input brother before I forked out tons of money on the met... I am deffinately going with Cap's Packs for sure and nothing else. You should start a thread on how you used Cap's packs to get your other room handled.

hope it gets better for you brother.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
That sucks treebark. I hope things go better for you in the future. I'm still waiting on the Met52, don't want to order out of colorado, working on connections with ag suppliers etc.

Here is an important question:
When you got your MET52 did it ship with an ice pack? The manufacturer ships it with dry ice and the retailer I talked to stores it in fridge. It has a short shelf life because it's a live product. If you got it without ice in the package, who knows how long your supplier stored it at room temp. It must be refrigerated until use! (per manufacturer)

Anyway, great info. Let's keep the learning going.

Here is what is recommended via label.

STORAGE: Keep in original container during storage. Store
product in cool, dry, well-ventilated place away from seed, feed,
fertilizer, or other pesticides. Keep away from direct sunlight,
fire or open flame, or other source of heat. Met52 Granular
Bioinsecticide consists of living microbes. Store closed product in
a cool dry place at <23 °C. Unopened product has a viable shelflife
of 12 months from date of manufacture. Exposing product to temperatures up to 35 °C will reduce the shelf-life to 1 month.
Do not freeze.

Top Bottom