Mexican Madness

• Thread starter British_Hempire
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

British_Hempire

Ello folks

been uber-busy lately and been having routers fail on me left right and centre, so internet is rather patchy at mo, but the growing continues apace here!

Just a couple of shots of my favourite two ladies currently, both Latin stunners, I think of them as the Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz of the cannabis world! lol (Okay, maybe I'm a bit high right now on Goldfinger, but they are both beauties...)

First pic is the main cola on an El Yucateca with 8 large tops, but she always insists on having one cola that dominates, not a great pic, but I've got her pretty dialled in these days after at least half a dozen runs in coco, the buds are very dense and solid, particularly for a sativa, and this run she has more resin than ever before, she was my best yielding plant until the other Mexican chick showed up recently.

Second pic is the newcomer - Highland Oaxacan Gold, one of two cuts passed on to me from Elevator Man, the other one was much smaller and less impressive and had severe hermie issues so was culled. This one is absolutely immense, the increase in size in flower is of monumental proportions, as is the subsequent floral development, I've never seen buds this size before under a 250W HPS and she has been stuck in one corner of my grow crammed in with 6 other plants! Sorry for the shitty pic, but you get the idea of how fat she is, the calyxes are slowly taking on a pale purple/lavender hue, slowly the pistils are maturing, hopefully the flush will help her mature.

Pics taken today at day 80, I think the HOG will take 95, El Yuc is usually done at 90. They have been on a diet of plain tapwater (my tapwater is ph 6.2, ec 0) with a spoonful of organic unsulphered blackstrap molasses for the last 10 days, I will switch to plain water in a couple more days.

Mexican madness
Mexican madness 2
Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Mulcho BUd senior, impressive British Hempire.
Are we going to see abit more of you nowadays Hemp??

F

FastForward

The Yuca looks fantastic - what does she smell like?

H

hazyfontazy

nice buds ,,amazing what u can achieve with a 250watt and a wardrobe ,,imagine what u could achieve with a 400 watt and a tent :muscle,nicer hotels in the dam lol

B

British_Hempire

I happen to have the weekend off for the first time in a few, if work allows I will be around more, been working as much overtime as they would let me to pay for my visit to the cup last week.

El Yuc is not a very smelly lady, another reason I like her - no odour control needed, the smell is minty and menthol, same as the taste, really needs a cure to bring out the flavour and smell, but she's never gonna be big in either department, it's the high that makes her muy especial, it's your authentic Mexican rocket ride straight to orbit, absolutely no indica influence in this smoke, it's just straight-up speedy, racing, clear high, I love it a lot.

First run of the HOG for me (jeez, imagine how big she might be when I get it dialled in! lol) but I sampled Elevator Man's buds, they were beautiful, similar high to the El Yuc but with a slightly different character, less clarity to the high, a little more dreamy than racing, but broadly similar, the smell is a bit stronger, very piney when growing, when dried and cured it's more woodsy, beech notes, smells like a cigar box, stronger in taste and smell that El Yuc, but still not a stinker.

Friggin hell hazy, you know me too well, innit! You hit the nail square on the head me old mucka! Big soft mattress and comfy pillows for next years cup and some smokeable wares to share around is the plan, as soon as these gals are down I'm gonna build me tent!

F

fuzzy

Hey BH very nice!My last grow, i got some free seeds from Alien, and on the package they said MS.Mystery sativa.It did look a lot like that top picture.Big thick almost indica looking buds.Has anybody heard of MS or know what it is? very nice,Fuzzy

C

cheesyblues

no bad for mexican brick seed weed
did it herm on you bh ???
and the buds are they solid looking or real solid cos when us lot ran it it looked the same but with a few seeds well a lot lol also the bud ended up looking solid but was fluffy its man what you can find in brick weed all over the world mate did you find any tie land race stock in that tie stick ????? :D:D:D:D:D

B

British_Hempire

It has a few nanners, less than 10, they appeared only late in flower, like 70 days this time. This time they are real solid, I think due to the Canna Boost, in the past I've had it looking solid but not really having the density like you describe.

Those Thai stick plants got culled after a long wait cos they refused to flower, even on 10.5 hrs light.

F

FastForward

Those Thai stick plants got culled after a long wait cos they refused to flower, even on 10.5 hrs light.

I think Herb is trying out a new finishing lamp of some sorts (some different light spectra I think), and I've seen a UVA finishing light here....maybe something like that would help with some of your more exotic longer finishing experiments/strains?

B

British_Hempire

There are all kinds of things you can do to cause plants to finish, I've experimented with a few of them and my conclusion is that some plants just won't mature indoors, not sure why, this UVA finishing lamp is interesting, I reckon it's just a standard HPS but with a different type of quartz envelope that lets through more UV as the standard quartz glass envelopes block UV.

To be honest, I think the best thing to do is to leave those plants to the outdoor folks and only work with hybrids of them indoors, or perhaps it is better to avoid using them at all and focus on ones that will mature fine indoors like this HOG. 13-14 weeks is not long at all really for a wild sativa and she does finish properly. I am seeing some minor growth spurts on her that indicate fresh bud growth, if it continues I shall drop the light regime to 11/13 till she finishes.

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
There are all kinds of things you can do to cause plants to finish, I've experimented with a few of them and my conclusion is that some plants just won't mature indoors, not sure why, this UVA finishing lamp is interesting, I reckon it's just a standard HPS but with a different type of quartz envelope that lets through more UV as the standard quartz glass envelopes block UV.

To be honest, I think the best thing to do is to leave those plants to the outdoor folks and only work with hybrids of them indoors, or perhaps it is better to avoid using them at all and focus on ones that will mature fine indoors like this HOG. 13-14 weeks is not long at all really for a wild sativa and she does finish properly. I am seeing some minor growth spurts on her that indicate fresh bud growth, if it continues I shall drop the light regime to 11/13 till she finishes.

Hey BH, how are ya?

So I've been growing a few local Brazilian sativas indoors over the last few years, and have never been able to reproduce indoors buds with the same taste and effect of the original prime "brick" weed the seeds came from... grown outdoors.

I guess there are some things us men haven't been able to get a grasp of, that is missing in the indoor envirment for these sativas to grow to their fullest and produce dank buds like those grow in the great outdoors.

My experience with growing pure sativas indoor is quite limited, but I can already tell that some things are better grown outdoors, like you said.

Take care,

BC

B

British_Hempire

Sure man, some things just need the outdoors, some won't express well enough to be worthwhile indoors, with those some tricks and adaptations of the environment can help a lot, DJ Short wrote an article about this. However, there are also plants that are a complete loss indoors because they won't flower to maturity at all indoors and no amount of coaxing and inducement will make them flower to maturity, we don't fully understand why this is so, certainly just reducing the number of hour of light doesn't work, there must be other factors at play, wish I knew what those factors were exactly!

The best we can do is to hybridise these plants and hope the hybrid is adaptable to indoor flowering, going straight to F2 then exploring a wide range of phenos to find those that possess the high and taste of the outdoor sativa but with shorter flowering time and structure then further linebreeding is the way to go. You can see the first step towards such a process in the Purple Thai Teresa has going at the moment.

B

British_Hempire

Here's some better pics of the HOG I snapped after lights out tonight which 84 weeks or 12 weeks precisely. You can see one of the side buds on the left, this is the size of the main buds on most plants I grow, yet is totally dwarfed by that monster main bud. As you can see by the clawed leaves, I had a slight salt buildup issue, but she is 10 days into the flush and the leaves are now yellowing nicely. The burnt leaves are from she she got a bit close to the HPS, she is a bit too big for my setup and it's been hard keeping her in a good position to get enough light with being very close to the lamp.

HOG 9th December 2008 0001 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0002 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0003 84 days
F

FastForward

The top photo really does look like a Xmas tree :flower

B

British_Hempire

That main bud is a foot long, and she has another 10 days to go so will swell those calyxes more yet, I'm keen to see what that main bud weighs, this could well be my biggest yield yet under a 250. Smells like a pine forest, a really nice smell, really looking forward to smoking this one. I've got another HOG cut ready to go into flower as soon as this one gets the chop, I will have this one on permanent rotation for a while I reckon!

U

Ulysses

Amazing buds for 250w... I have to look and look at these coco bud pics cause I need some motivation for the switch...

I guess the pro mix will be scattered on the lawn and garden a little at at time...

I grew out Chimera's Highland Mex x Blueberry and got superb smells and tastes, but the buzz is too trippy and I can't get anything done on it... I hope to find a Mex like El Yuc...

B

British_Hempire

Here's some better pics of the Oaxacan at 12 weeks, she needs another week, maybe longer, been on plain water for last 3 days, was on water and molasses for 10 days before that, wanna flush this gal good to get the maximum smell and taste!

HOG 9th December 2008 0001 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0002 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0003 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0004 84 days
HOG 9th December 2008 0005 84 days
B

British_Hempire

A couple more pics of the El Yuc, she is at 84 days and looks done but a check of the trichomes says she needs longer, last time I took her at 91 days, this time I'm letting her have as much time as she needs to have a full third of the triches amber, which should be peak potency, she has been on plain water for last 2 days, for 10 days before that she was on water + molasses, not aiming for the max yield, rather going for the max taste and quality so flushing a long time.

Yucateca 11 12 08 0001
Yucateca 11 12 08 0002
Top Bottom