MHippie's Grow (a new beginning)

• Thread starter MHippie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Instead of being my normal long winded can't shut up self, I'll keep the intro short (maybe). I've grown for a long time. Fire happened... not from my grow. Took a break from it. Been back for a minute. Weird shit happens when you get to do it all over again. I've been spastic posting all over this forum while frenzy growing to get bud back into my jars. That finally happened. Street weed: too expensive for shit. Dispensary weed: too expensive, most of it isn't cured long enough imo. Now that the panic growing is over and shit is in queue I've gotten to reassess my grow.

It's just my wife and I so there isn't this huge consumption thing. But we both enjoy a wide variety. So yield per plant isn't a big deal. And well... uh... I like bonsai. Desert rose, fir, redwood, pine, ficus, whatever... if it's a plant I'll try it. The guy who taught me most of what I know used to keep cannabis bonsais as mother plants for clones. I've drolled on about it here. It's not that popular I don't think. Most of you guys are into yields :) And that's all good. Anyway, because 20 years ago, you couldn't pick through hundreds of strains online and have them show up in an envelope in your mailbox, when we came across something that was GOOD and we had seeds... we followed the following strategy always.

Germ three.
From the strongest female, 3 clones right before flowering.
Of the 3 clones: 1 for bonsai, 2 to grow out if they all survived lol.

Sometimes we bonsai'd all survivors, and then flowered 1 or 2 of them. They didn't take up much space. They yielded a limited amount of nugs sure, but they were all pretty much uniform in size, tight, and really really great to smoke. There was either something different about them or I'm just having a euphoric recall incident. Nute switches had a faster effect. They take a much lighter mix. And if you screw it up, there isn't much soil to flush lol.

I think I'm going to work my ass off to establish my bonsai mother plants until I have the strains I want. And then I think I'm going to switch to a bonsai only format for a while and see what happens. The grows will take longer. The yields will be shorter. But I'll have the ability to grow a wide variety, in a small footprint, that is sustainable. I can fit 12 flowering bonsai plants under a 4 x 2 light without a problem. If my target is 1oz dry per plant, then I'm at 10oz to 12oz per grow. 12 different strains per grow would be something I've never done before let alone just a focused bonsai grow. Whatever... it will be an adventure if nothing else and I'm sure a constant study of things you should NEVER do. Because I'm going to fuck something up. I always do.

Here are the first three I'm working on. The lime green in front is HSC's Squirt and still in shock from being transplanted, root trimmed and partially defoliated. Hopefully it comes back around. The other one is WW and I've been working on it for a couple of months or so.

The second pic is of a WW in a bonsai pot like the other two. The difference is I've always thought it would be cool to grow an espalier style cannabis plant. So why not. This one is in flowering. It will be cool to see how it comes out.

Mhippies grow a new beginning
Mhippies grow a new beginning 2
Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
In a similar spot re: variety over yield. Trying to get a system where I average 2ish oz per plant and just get some grows under my belt. Get experience, develop my pallate, etc. Interested to see your bonsai process.

growsince79

growsince79

Instead of being my normal long winded can't shut up self, I'll keep the intro short (maybe). I've grown for a long time. Fire happened... not from my grow. Took a break from it. Been back for a minute. Weird shit happens when you get to do it all over again. I've been spastic posting all over this forum while frenzy growing to get bud back into my jars. That finally happened. Street weed: too expensive for shit. Dispensary weed: too expensive, most of it isn't cured long enough imo. Now that the panic growing is over and shit is in queue I've gotten to reassess my grow.

It's just my wife and I so there isn't this huge consumption thing. But we both enjoy a wide variety. So yield per plant isn't a big deal. And well... uh... I like bonsai. Desert rose, fir, redwood, pine, ficus, whatever... if it's a plant I'll try it. The guy who taught me most of what I know used to keep cannabis bonsais as mother plants for clones. I've drolled on about it here. It's not that popular I don't think. Most of you guys are into yields :) And that's all good. Anyway, because 20 years ago, you couldn't pick through hundreds of strains online and have them show up in an envelope in your mailbox, when we came across something that was GOOD and we had seeds... we followed the following strategy always.

Germ three.

Sometimes we bonsai'd all survivors, and then flowered 1 or 2 of them. They didn't take up much space. They yielded a limited amount of nugs sure, but they were all pretty much uniform in size, tight, and really really great to smoke. There was either something different about them or I'm just having a euphoric recall incident. Nute switches had a faster effect. They take a much lighter mix. And if you screw it up, there isn't much soil to flush lol.

I think I'm going to work my ass off to establish my bonsai mother plants until I have the strains I want. And then I think I'm going to switch to a bonsai only format for a while and see what happens. The grows will take longer. The yields will be shorter. But I'll have the ability to grow a wide variety, in a small footprint, that is sustainable. I can fit 12 flowering bonsai plants under a 4 x 2 light without a problem. If my target is 1oz dry per plant, then I'm at 10oz to 12oz per grow. 12 different strains per grow would be something I've never done before let alone just a focused bonsai grow. Whatever... it will be an adventure if nothing else and I'm sure a constant study of things you should NEVER do. Because I'm going to fuck something up. I always do.

Here are the first three I'm working on. The lime green in front is HSC's Squirt and still in shock from being transplanted, root trimmed and partially defoliated. Hopefully it comes back around. The other one is WW and I've been working on it for a couple of months or so.

The second pic is of a WW in a bonsai pot like the other two. The difference is I've always thought it would be cool to grow an espalier style cannabis plant. So why not. This one is in flowering. It will be cool to see how it comes out.
Nice. I also grow small plants. I'm looking for potency, structure, and taste. Yield isn't a concern.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I’ve got a couple of Bonsai going 2 of my own strain Strawberry Lights #1 there starting to bud or head as we say in Australia, lights are out so later today I’ll shoot a pic up I’ll leave them in the small pot . Bonsai means potted plant nothing else . Regards Od .

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I’ve got a couple of Bonsai going 2 of my own strain Strawberry Lights #1 there starting to bud or head as we say in Australia, lights are out so later today I’ll shoot a pic up I’ll leave them in the small pot . Bonsai means potted plant nothing else . Regards Od .

Hey OD :) Nice! Can't wait to see 'em :)

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
In a similar spot re: variety over yield. Trying to get a system where I average 2ish oz per plant and just get some grows under my belt. Get experience, develop my pallate, etc. Interested to see your bonsai process.

It's nothing special. Just the basics. Every 90 days or so, root trim and repot back into the same pot. My lightest training wire is too much for these so I just use s hooks made from the wire and some twine on a slip knot to train them. On the older plant if you look at the inner nodes, you'll see the kind of go out in a bow and then up. That was done by hand. No big deal. Couple seconds of "this is where I want you to be" a couple times a day and they just did it on their own. Because these are for clones, I want some nodes on the shoots. So I defoliate leaving just the top, force upward growth and when it gets to where I want it, then I FIM it. The lower nodes for each shoot start to bring on their growth. You sort of decide from there about how many clones you want to produce. I just use the main shoots and cut to above the first node growth is present. It rejuvenates. Eventually we'll cut it again lol. The more you want, the more tips you take off. :) I think the last time I counted that plant, there were 12 main sites. For me that's more than enough for one strain. I'll never put 12 of these down in one shot.

amekins

amekins

Germ three.

I just want to say I think this is fantastic!!!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
When growing for seeds/experiments, I keep em small as possible. Last run was 12-12 from seed. This next run I'll flip at about 3 weeks.

IMG 20200724 143000618 HDR

Not trying to thread hijack, just genuinely curious: is this shorter than you would do? She's roughly a foot tall and dense lol. I'm a first timer so just curious.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
View attachment 1006023

Not trying to thread hijack, just genuinely curious: is this shorter than you would do? She's roughly a foot tall and dense lol. I'm a first timer so just curious.

Shiiiiiit don’t worry about me having delicate sensibilities. Show your grow lol! I keep mine to 9 inches or less in height and use a 10 x 6 x 3 inch traditional bonsai pot. On your plant above you might want to consider removing the yellowed growth. Those fans are depleted. Good looking bud!

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Did you hear the one about the dumbass who thought it was cool that so many honey bees were around... when the only male of the season was spitting more pollen than a dust factory? Yeah that's me. One of my pineapple muffins got crossed with that unknown purple sativa. The two female plants before it went well, decent yield, frosty nugs, good smoke. I grew that plant to cross it with another old school strain and that's already growing. Anyway the pineapple unknown seeds in the pic... 4 down. 3 popped. Straight from the plant to paper towel lol. These three will all be bonsai'd. I'm going to roll with the law of averages. We'll see what happens when they go to flower I guess. There's something appealing about short plants. Easy to disguise, hide, whatever. Using pro mix, clear water, pots are only half full, water before planting. When the seedlings come up for their first stretch, I like to bury them up to the first node. More roots. Roots are good.

20200726 202459
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Just how slowly do you think these will mature?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Just how slowly do you think these will mature?

The bonsai? Idk lol :) A lot of things depend on the plant in veg. Just like with a normal sized plant, veg determines yield. These stains are all unknown to me. So I'm going to have to feel my way through each type, see how they respond and go from there. These little ones will stay in those pots until I get a 4th node. Then they'll go straight into their bonsai pots and get hacked up. I'm thinking 2 to 3 months in veg and the same in flowering.

Top Bottom