Mimed’s Perpetual Thread

• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
dire wolf

dire wolf

Strange thing is moms and other strains growing side by side in same exact mix of pro mix and dyna show no deficiencies
And they were in unsuitable size containers , under same lighting conditions....

dire wolf

dire wolf

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

well now I know for sure that I have Root aphids; observed one with my own eye thru lighted 30X magnification

In the five or so seconds it took me to grab the camera it was gone, I never saw another one

the roots look great, I cut them in half and dug around I didn't see any others, but I have 100% identification with my own eye. Believe me I almost wish I didn't see it

seems to be a very mild infestation but that could change quickly so I'm going to treat it asap

I'm going to read back through your thread and see what products you used, what you did and all that but if you'd like to share the
TL'DR on this topic that would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I ran a clone a while but most of them were seed plants. I am finally almost out of ch9 packs and and gifted seeds.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

well now I know for sure that I have Root aphids; observed one with my own eye thru lighted 30X magnification

In the five or so seconds it took me to grab the camera it was gone, I never saw another one

the roots look great, I cut them in half and dug around I didn't see any others, but I have 100% identification with my own eye. Believe me I almost wish I didn't see it

seems to be a very mild infestation but that could change quickly so I'm going to treat it asap

I'm going to read back through your thread and see what products you used, what you did and all that but if you'd like to share the

I hate to say I am not sure they are gone. I am giving all plants another drench with botanigard.

I have not seen one though. Was yours on the edge or side of the pot?

And here.

Says a second dose of imid may be necessary. I did not do that. I used botanigard after.

And more info with studies and results.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The one I saw was on the very bottom of the soil when I dumped out the whole rootmass upside down

couldn't find any more even cutting into it but I did see some of that White waxy shit now that I read that second link and know what it is

Any thoughts on this product?

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

Yea, if you seen one, you've caught it early, get on it. If I see a goddam fruit fly in the house around our bananas (I grow in the open) I literally go bananas.

I've had mites for a long while now (many years) and being in this old place, there seem well embedded in the house I suspect. We've also got problems with ants that probably have nest in the walls or something. Most of the house here have mold in them. Moisture and rain, fungus is a constant problem here in Seattle, same with the mites because it never gets really cold enough here to totally kill them off.

I don't think I could actually get rid of the damn things without having to shut everything down for 6 months or so, and that's not even a sure bet, so I deal with them in other ways. If things are well maintained and regular maintenance is performed, predators, treatments, it's not as terrible as some people actually believe, or make things out to be. I've actually heard of people picking up and moving (defeated) because of mites and aphids before, and I refuse to be defeated by a stoopid hardy little insects.

Being equipped with good information and using proper techniques is the key to defeating these l little critters. But more than anything, it's staying on top of it, vigilance, day in, day out.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Edit: btw I did see that white waxy shit didn't realize what it was until I read the second link you posted above

Never used that, but I have a different sns product (the 209) and I like it, so my guess is that it is legit.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well they claim to kill root aphids but the only effective products in all the test studies is imid or the other pesticide and next in effectiveness was the fungus in botanigard.

The sns doesnt contain either.

I am going to hit the next round of plants in the starter cup and then in the one gallon 2 weeks later to be sure i have enough systemic resistance. I think i was too shy with the real pesticide.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Well they claim to kill root aphids but the only effective products in all the test studies is imid or the other pesticide and next in effectiveness was the fungus in botanigard.

The sns doesnt contain either.

I am going to hit the next round of plants in the starter cup and then in the one gallon 2 weeks later to be sure i have enough systemic resistance. I think i was too shy with the real pesticide.
Can I ask which particular Imidacloprid product you used?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Also @Beachwalker i read the wettable powder is better than the liquid bottles for the imid and the spores.

In tests when sprayed (in case you use it above soil the liquids caused more phytotoxic damage.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have no experience picking pesticide brands but the merit and botanigard are tested to be most effective.

Also nemetodes helped some growers a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Imidacloprid...idacloprid&qid=1602456866&sprefix=imid&sr=8-2
Thanks for the link I've been reading about the nematodes and I'm wondering if that's a way to go

I'm just starting to read up now I've seen some say nematodes don't work other sites say their great so I'm taking it all in right now as I consider how to move forward

Seems to be a mild infestation and I suspect it's been here for quite a while, I mention that I was suspicious of this back when you confirmed your own infestation, and I had them pretty bad out in the tomato plants earlier this summer too
https://www.amazon.com/BotaniGard-2...22wp&qid=1602456922&sprefix=botanigard&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Also @Beachwalker i read the wettable powder is better than the liquid bottles for the imid and the spores.

In tests when sprayed (in case you use it above soil the liquids caused more phytotoxic damage.
Thanks I found the wettable powder I have it in my cart. I'll catch up on the links you posted above thanks again for all the info!👍

Almost wish I didn't see that damn single one but I did but that's enough of this shift for today my head is exploding I'll get back at it tomorrow I got to finish up watering right now and I trimmed all fucking morning I'm about up to here with cannabis right now if I'm honest LOL I don't drink but I think I'm going to go have a beer, this is about the last thing I needed, I'm still chasing the damn thrips!!🤦‍♂️ This too shall pass;

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks for the link I've been reading about the nematodes and I'm wondering if that's a way to go

I'm just starting to read up now I've seen some say nematodes don't work other sites say their great so I'm taking it all in right now as I consider how to move forward

Seems to be a mild infestation and I suspect it's been here for quite a while, I mention that I was suspicious of this back when you confirmed your own infestation, and I had them pretty bad out in the tomato plants earlier this summer too

did you see tiny white bugs crawling on the edge of pots? I asked earlier but dont think you answered yet.

If you have fliers thats when you know the pots are full of bugs.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks I found the wettable powder I have it in my cart. I'll catch up on the links you posted above thanks again for all the info!👍

Almost wish I didn't see that damn single one but I did but that's enough of this shift for today my head is exploding I'll get back at it tomorrow I got to finish up watering right now and I trimmed all fucking morning I'm about up to here with cannabis right now if I'm honest LOL I don't drink but I think I'm going to go have a beer, this is about the last thing I needed, I'm still chasing the damn thrips!!🤦‍♂️ This too shall pass;

Honestly i expect more than one battle.

Dont be alarmed. 2 tbsp per gallon of the botanigard (double dose recommended for root aphid drench) is very thick and not all soluble. Leaves some sandy residue in the bucket.

Some info

Here is the wettable powder conversions.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What did your roots look like mimed, do you have pictures of the infestation? I'm really interested in how the plants presented themselves, (leaves, symptoms) and what the root sites looked like, was it widespread? were they swarming up top, was there other substances that were hallmarks?

I know I'm probably going to deal with it eventually, and I've seen a few suspect bugs hanging out on the balcony that might be considered potential problems. I do a bit of recycling of soil, and I have an ongoing worm casing bin. Here's how my root balls looked form some of the last ones, and they pots afterwards.

See anything that stands out?

IMG 20201011 162507
IMG 20201011 162424
IMG 20201011 162428
IMG 20201011 162434
IMG 20201011 162444
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

did you see tiny white bugs crawling on the edge of pots? I asked earlier but dont think you answered yet.

If you have fliers thats when you know the pots are full of bugs.
I mentioned above I flipped the whole thing over and lifted the pot off and it was right there walking on the soil that was on the bottom against the plastic pot

I cut into it but I didn't see anything else but I did see that white waxy shit here & there I thought to myself that's odd-looking perlite but it wasn't until I read that link you put up that I realized it was from them

Edit: I wish I could continue to ignore it like I didn't see it LOL but it was almost in the exact spot that I first looked & I watched it for several seconds before I grabbed the camera but then I never saw again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom