Mimed’s Perpetual Thread

• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Thanks @Axel Rose. I was out riding bikes and just got back and checked alerts.

I see mixed results from growers with the mosquito dunks so i guess we will see how it goes.
No problem! I'm going to pick some up today. They are supposed to work great with organic growing. Fungus gnats are annoying I fi d them in my coffee every once in a while lol

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I use BT in the form of Mosquito bits and Microbe-Lift for fungus gnats. Combined with sticky traps, fungus gnats are not much a problem. You need to use a little more of the Microbe-Lift than the directions say, I use 5-10 drops(or a small squirt) per 5gal water- only once and a while as needed.
91qOkCjWgKL._SL1500_.jpg

516VQV9atkL.jpg

P

PharmHand

What did you finally do to get rid of them?
Sorry to interject, I realize you’re not asking me... But those mosquito dunks that you get from the box stores are likely long dead. It’s supposed to be a living bacteria but from what I’ve seen most of the time they are dead or next to no life left in them. Some ag supply places sell a more viable version of bti, vectobact is one, they have expiration dates on the container and their shelf life is short and specific conditions are required for storage(fridge). For you in your perpetual situation I would suggest nematodes. Get the ones from an ag supply store tho, not pot poppers (which are typically expired too). Nemasys or entonem are a couple good options. And lots of yellow stickies everywhere. It takes a few weeks but you CAN get rid of them with nematodes. Layered defenses work best. GL brotha:)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If your having gnat problems I would suggest addressing the root problems you might have. Soggy waterlogged soil,brown decaying roots sends out an alarm for gnats to come feast.

Good tip!

However i am a very dry cycle grower. Most would panic at how dry my soil gets. Lol

I have only ever had a couple visible even with years of ocean forest.

And they have always disapeared with more attention to drying out pots further or if the room was too crowded, when it thinned out.

I think the soil bags i got were heavily infected and some survived this time.

I have positively identified the flyers as fungus gnats but hope severely for no root aphids.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry to interject, I realize you’re not asking me... But those mosquito dunks that you get from the box stores are likely long dead. It’s supposed to be a living bacteria but from what I’ve seen most of the time they are dead or next to no life left in them. Some ag supply places sell a more viable version of bti, vectobact is one, they have expiration dates on the container and their shelf life is short and specific conditions are required for storage(fridge). For you in your perpetual situation I would suggest nematodes. Get the ones from an ag supply store tho, not pot poppers (which are typically expired too). Nemasys or entonem are a couple good options. And lots of yellow stickies everywhere. It takes a few weeks but you CAN get rid of them with nematodes. Layered defenses work best. GL brotha:)

Thanks for the tips. :-)

Especially “layered defenses work best”.

I read that the bt is not dead and does not expire but i have no personal experience.

I do realize there are stronger types. I believe that the dunks contain BT and the live cultured powder contains BTI (i just read about all this so if i am incorrect i apologize) and will try the next level if i still see them after a while.

But no good bugs in my rooms. I have springtails come and go and they are harmless and stay in the dirt. Thats enough bugs for me. I think good bug poop and larvae are as disgusting as bad bugs on plants.

I will use pesticides in veg and throw away the soil if necessary.

Also I have only had 1 gnat actually show up on multiple sticky cards. They are having a hard time multiplying in my rooms. I hope. ;-)

B

Burned Haze

(Sorry if I’m going off topic, just a tip/ grower suggestion )

I was just going to say, forget the dry version of BTI!
Microbe-lift bmc ! I just want to explain why dry vs this liquid version is better since the other user didn’t explain ( I would want to l know )

* ( it’s 8% BTI and the dry bits and only 2.8%) dry bits def aren’t any cheaper per application or have a longer expiration date so no reason to go that route ethier .

* Application rate of the liquid is only .5ml! Per gal ( label says use other week but after talking with them and testing it a few rounds I would def apply it,pre often to guarantee no gnats , IPM I would def do every week and apply no matter if you have them or not)

* Gallon are $125, that’s a $1 per oz versions will save you soo much money over those 6 oz for (15-25 bucks ) . It sucks this company only sells ethier with 2 oz , or 6 oz than 1 gal ( the oz versions are rape and o bought them twice on mistake before realizing gallons def were cheaper it was)

Once I started doing that (since I’m coco and doing higher temps/lots of c02 - fungus gnats love it ) I needed a logical IPM plan

+ Drench em with some Azaguard ( 2x stronger than azamax ) would def piss the fungus gnats off as well and add a extra prevent / slow Down reproduction .

Last edited by a moderator:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

(Sorry if I’m going off topic, just a tip/ grower suggestion )

I was just going to say, forget the dry version of BTI!
Microbe-lift bmc ! I just want to explain why dry vs this liquid version is better since the other user didn’t explain ( I would want to l know )

* ( it’s 8% BTI and the dry bits and only 2.8%) dry bits def aren’t any cheaper per application or have a longer expiration date so no reason to go that route ethier .

* Application rate of the liquid is only .5ml! Per gal ( label says use other week but after talking with them and testing it a few rounds I would def apply it,pre often to guarantee no gnats , IPM I would def do every week and apply no matter if you have them or not)

* Gallon are $125, that’s a $1 per oz versions will save you soo much money over those 6 oz for (15-25 bucks ) . It sucks this company only sells ethier with 2 oz , or 6 oz than 1 gal ( the oz versions are rape and o bought them twice on mistake before realizing gallons def were cheaper it was)

Once I started doing that (since I’m coco and doing higher temps/lots of c02 - fungus gnats love it ) I needed a logical IPM plan

+ Drench em with some Azaguard ( 2x stronger than azamax ) would def piss the fungus gnats off as well and add a extra prevent / slow Down reproduction .

Thank you for this info. Much appreciated.

And an update. The most infected plant was just watered and only 1 visible adult flyer appeared and 2 of the little new white fluttery babies. They were easily killed with a finger. They seem weak.

I have never needed any products before for IPM and hope this mistake clears up but will take furrher action if neccessary.

I have also seen a safer brand dust powder product recommended.

So far more of a nuisance than problem.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Just put a plushberry fem seed I got in trade a couple years ago. Never tried plushberry.

I think next after her will be a stella blue dream s-1 i have.

Love variety. :)
anything crossed to plushberry is nice. You've seen pics probably of the predator pink plushberry x starfighter beta version I was testing for a bit. Was a balanced ride for sure. Family and friends loved it. Be sure to post some updates of the plush as it evolves. :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a bit of a fungus gnat problem that didnt go away with some extra dry time this time.

I am pretty sure they are in the mother earth soil I got last time.

The store i use closed down but i know the owner and he had me meet someone there for the bags. But it is now cold and humid in his warehouse and i should have driven to the city for properly stored soil.

I have begun making mosquito dunk water and give a few cups before feeding to each plant each watering.

I have never added any pest control and this is the least harmful thing out there. It should clear things up in a few weeks. I only see a couple to 3 flyers on a few plants so far. The bacteria in dunks should interupt their breeding cycle.

Only one gnat has shown up on a yellow sticky card. I hope between the dry side i grow on and the dunk water it clears up soon.
try using some tanglefoot tape at the base of your main stalks. Keeps the crawlers from entering your canopy and multiplying and maturing, laying eggs etc.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Good tip!

However i am a very dry cycle grower. Most would panic at how dry my soil gets. Lol

I have only ever had a couple visible even with years of ocean forest.

And they have always disapeared with more attention to drying out pots further or if the room was too crowded, when it thinned out.

I think the soil bags i got were heavily infected and some survived this time.

I have positively identified the flyers as fungus gnats but hope severely for no root aphids.
You will see tons of crawlers before you see flying root aphids. They hang out at the top of the pots and are easy to spot on plants in cups. Once they destroy the plant they are on them they grow wings to find some more plants to terrorize. Those bastards are a living hell.
When I had them I had to. Water everything with traicazide from Home Depot. Kills them on contact no problem. Then you have to use a systemic to get anything that survived.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You will see tons of crawlers before you see flying root aphids. They hang out at the top of the pots and are easy to spot on plants in cups. Once they destroy the plant they are on them they grow wings to find some more plants to terrorize. Those bastards are a living hell.
When I had them I had to. Water everything with traicazide from Home Depot. Kills them on contact no problem. Then you have to use a systemic to get anything that survived.

Well i don't seem to have root aphids then.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom