• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Got those little reveg cuttings to root in the water glasses so i planted all of them.

I wont have room for them all. I may have to break free from the tent and open up the veg room.
A few months back you commented on a pic I posted about the leaves turning up because They were too close to the light ( I believe if my grey matter is right) I shrugged it off because I believed it to be my oscillating fans causing what you saw in the pic but it stuck in my head as something to watch for. I recently bought a cheap par meter and after researching light levels optimum for vegging and flowering plants ( according to what I've recently read) I should have my plants almost touching the lamps to get the 40,000 - 70,000 lux with 70,000 being optimal for veg growth and 85,000 for flower. I've moved all my plants up to were I feel comfortable with the heat from the light and I'm only getting around 35,000, they were down at 19,000- 23,000 trying to keep them from being too close to my 1000 hps light.

I'm just trying to figure this out as to how close they should be with my new par meter.

I think it was this pic and according to my meter they're around 20,000 at that distance.

So here I am confused again, once more asking for your advice,😊

AtomicRoostr

AtomicRoostr

A few months back you commented on a pic I posted about the leaves turning up because They were too close to the light ( I believe if my grey matter is right) I shrugged it off because I believed it to be my oscillating fans causing what you saw in the pic but it stuck in my head as something to watch for. I recently bought a cheap par meter and after researching light levels optimum for vegging and flowering plants ( according to what I've recently read) I should have my plants almost touching the lamps to get the 40,000 - 70,000 lux with 70,000 being optimal for veg growth and 85,000 for flower. I've moved all my plants up to were I feel comfortable with the heat from the light and I'm only getting around 35,000, they were down at 19,000- 23,000 trying to keep them from being too close to my 1000 hps light.

I'm just trying to figure this out as to how close they should be with my new par meter.

I think it was this pic and according to my meter they're around 20,000 at that distance.

View attachment 940255
The optimal par reading i use just for a guideline, i don't chase optimal readings.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

View attachment 940255

Par meters do not show the whole spectrum of light blasting out of 1000 hps. But it sounds like you have a lumen meter.

I would need a good 3-4 feet between that lamp and reflector and my plants canopy. I average 20 inches with a glass enclosed air cooled hood and a 600 watt hortilux hps. And i mean during peak flower.

Heat is the enemy not light. And yes fans can make leaves get funky too. We jist have to keep experimenting until the plants and us are happy.

Also that reflector spreads out the light. A deeper rectangular one would direct more light straight down. Lots of options. Lots of variables.

Your plants look great in that pic by the way.

I might point that fan up more towards the lamp to blow the heat up and away. You can get a few inches lower like that likely. Its all a compromise. Its hard and expensive to get parameters perfect. You would need co2 of you got optimum light on your plants with that 1000. Dont stress on the numbers so accurately. Just keep the plants happy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The optimal par reading i use just for a guideline, i don't chase optimal readings.
Oh I agree but optimal is what we're striving for and knowing where that line is, is important. With this new toy ( par meter) I've moved my plants upwards from 20,000 into the 35,000 lux range. Still nowhere close to optimal but better.
I have an exhaust fan 6 - 7" from the light sucking heat off the source and 3 oscillating fans, 2 small blowing across the top of the pots and undergrowth and the one large blowing across the top. I also have 2 intake air, 1 bringing in cool air from a lower basement and 1 that's part of our homes ventilation system & a bathroom exhaust i rigged up to withdraw air from the room. all running 24/7

Right now I've a low humidity problem 10% again this am in flower room but only the 2 Cherry Bomb plants in there over night and they're done but for drying the pot. still 10% is too low.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

View attachment 940255
Nice hedges! Love that parabolic! I was looking at them recently for my 5 by 5, I was thinking in the cold weather it might keep a couple more degrees of heat inside the tent

BigCube

BigCube

Oh I agree but optimal is what we're striving for and knowing where that line is, is important. With this new toy ( par meter) I've moved my plants upwards from 20,000 into the 35,000 lux range. Still nowhere close to optimal but better.
I have an exhaust fan 6 - 7" from the light sucking heat off the source and 3 oscillating fans, 2 small blowing across the top of the pots and undergrowth and the one large blowing across the top. I also have 2 intake air, 1 bringing in cool air from a lower basement and 1 that's part of our homes ventilation system & a bathroom exhaust i rigged up to withdraw air from the room. all running 24/7

Right now I've a low humidity problem 10% again this am in flower room but only the 2 Cherry Bomb plants in there over night and they're done but for drying the pot. still 10% is too low.

Ooof 10% rh is brutes. How are the plants taking it?

What par meter did you get BTW? The only cheap one I know of is the hydro farm. And supposedly it's not super accurate. I would love to find an affordable decent par meter. As it is, I have to borrow one from my buddy at the hydro store.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Nice hedges! Love that parabolic! I was looking at them recently for my 5 by 5, I was thinking in the cold weather it might keep a couple more degrees of heat inside the tent
I love the heat it generates without it the room would be too cold. Its just a matter of controlling the heat. A 5 x5 tent would be too small to contain that heat without a contained air cooled fixture I'd think. I'm open air with 5x5 sq panda plastic frames and right now my room is 80f lights on 65 lights off.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I love the heat it generates without it the room would be too cold. Its just a matter of controlling the heat. A 5 x5 tent would be too small to contain that heat without a contained air cooled fixture I'd think. I'm open air with 5x5 sq panda plastic frames and right now my room is 80f lights on 65 lights off.
Think it would be perfect! I'm about 72° on a warm-ish day at best, think it would add c. 4 - 6 degrees (even more would be okay) I'd still have the filter up top corner so it's still taking out the hot air, but I think the ambient heat of the reflector would bring it up a few degrees

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ooof 10% rh is brutes. How are the plants taking it?

What par meter did you get BTW? The only cheap one I know of is the hydro farm. And supposedly it's not super accurate. I would love to find an affordable decent par meter. As it is, I have to borrow one from my buddy at the hydro store.
It's only the flower room and there's only 2 done girls in there now. My veg room was 60% with a small humidifier running. In the AM I move my vegging plants into the flower room under the 1000 w for 10-11 hrs ( might as well use the light while its on) My girls seem to love it. I'm able to get the humidity up to about 35% through the day in the flower room then at 8pm I go down and move them back into the veg room under t8's- t5 a 38 w warm cfl a 60 w full spectrum led and another 38 w cfl cool and in that room I'm also using a 100 w heat lamp to keep the room toasty.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
My 1000w HPS lamps deliver about 45-50,000 LUX 24" below the lamp and around 35,000 around the perimeter of the room, and I'm just trusting that the spectrum and bulb quality means I'm getting a decent PAR reading. To get LUX readings up to 70-80,000 that wont burn the plants requires DE Lamps and supplemented Co2 IMHO. Not all light is created equal and LUX takes into account the entire spectrum, not just the wavelengths the plants use. Which is why much over 80,000 LUX from a grow light can totally fry the plants whereas the sun at over 100,000 LUX on a sunny mid summer day wont. Red wavelength leaning HPS lamps deliver more photons the plants will use compared to Blue wavelengths.

At least that's how I understand it... But I could be missing something.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

MarsHydro put my picture as #3 for the light. The worst part is it looks like crap. The only way I have a chance is if you guys help me those autos are right at harvest time. Anyway I know Mars sucks but it's better than me buying a light. If you can please vote #3

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

MarsHydro put my picture as #3 for the light. The worst part is it looks like crap. The only way I have a chance is if you guys help me those autos are right at harvest time. Anyway I know Mars sucks but it's better than me buying a light. If you can please vote #3

Im sorry bud but im not posting for any more mars spam. Its fucking up our forum in my opinion.

Dont take it personally. I actually never join groups or contests anyway.

kuwl

kuwl

I gave ya my vote (just check a box an post an it shows results, no text required) You are behind a bit tho ya needs 9 votes ta win Good Luck Dude

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Im sorry bud but im not posting for any more mars spam. Its fucking up our forum in my opinion.

Dont take it personally. I actually never join groups or contests anyway.
Can help me
I gave ya my vote (just check a box an post an it shows results, no text required) You are behind a bit tho ya needs 9 votes ta win Good Luck Dude
I understand. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom