Mini MPB Veg Buckets - DD inspired

• Thread starter Boots Sugarleaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Boots Sugarleaf

I wanted to share my mini DoubleD inspired MPB veg system with ya'll in hopes of continued progress, communication and success for the DIY'ers in this forum.

I wanted a veg system as near to identical as possible to the MPB system by DD. So after some head scratchin' this is what I came up with. I hope my idea is welcomed.

It's nothin' too fancy, but completely RDWC DD stylie inspired:

I have black 5 gallon buckets with 10" net pots. Holes drilled in the manner DD describes for the MPB mini res, but in my mini veg bucket I use one 3/4 inch line out and one 1/2 inch line in. The 3/4" lines out are connected via a one inch diameter drilled hole in black 4 inch pvc that the 3/4" line fits nicely into. The 4 inch pipe gravity feeds back to the reservoir. For now I am using one of the 27 gallon tubs for my main res but will likely change to a larger one.

From the main res a 3/4 inch black poly line connected to a 633 GPH pump runs along the length of the 4 inch drain pipe and tees off to 1/2" at each bucket for water in.

A one way flow valve will be put at the beginning of this line and a tee will be put on either side of this valve and a ball valve will be connected here in a loop to the tees. (For draining when time to do res changes, the ball valve is always in the off position except when time to res change)

Also from the res connected to a 264 GPH pump is a 1/2 inch black poly line running the length of the 4 inch drain pipe to which 1/4 drip tubing in ran to each pot...2 lines per pot.

A 6 inch round air stone is to be added to the bottom of each bucket. Add a couple air stones to the main res also. And don't forget the res chiller. I have a 600 watt hps on a light rail above this set up.

This design with said water pumps will work for my 10 to 12 bucket set up. Playing with different water pump sizes will give the option to change the amount of buckets.

The layout is like this:

layout.jpg

and a few pics of the assembly of one bucket:

bucket_holes.jpg

assembled_bucket_w_fittings.jpg

first_bucket.jpg

buckets_and_plumbing.jpg

drain_to_res.jpg

This system takes up little more than 3 feet wide x 9 feet feet long, and if need be you can easily have a couple sets like this side by side with good walkways between them for maintenance.

More pics of the set in action as soon as I get the free time to tinker a little more and take more pics.

I hope this helps inspire and motivate! There are many ways of doing things and with this I in no way intend to reinvent the wheel, just showing what works in my space for me.

I probably left out a detail or three so feel free to chime in with questions or ideas that may help out.

Happy pharmin'~

L

Lost

Thats awesome!

Thats going to be so easy to just take off the net pot lid and put it in the Flower MPD's.

E

easypleasie

Someone's been busy :) lol bro, you could totally flower in that system. Only drawback is you gotta have the space for the system.

I'm using buckets for veg too...just doing a top feed to keep things simple. 6 girls take up 3.5'x3' space. If I had the room, I would veg in the same mini-res I flower in :)

Can't wait to see you fire this baby up!

stickyicky

stickyicky

This is what I like about the ebb 'n' gro set up's using the net pots. I can pull em out, clean, move, trim etc.... Nice work bro.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Thats awesome!

Thats going to be so easy to just take off the net pot lid and put it in the Flower MPD's.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I wanted it this way---DD's veg system uses the 10" pots too, but is just a drip and not the full set-up, I wanted a mini full set

straight pimpin!!!!

nice work dude

Thanks, a lot guys, I appreciate it!

Someone's been busy lol bro, you could totally flower in that system. Only drawback is you gotta have the space for the system.

I'm using buckets for veg too...just doing a top feed to keep things simple. 6 girls take up 3.5'x3' space. If I had the room, I would veg in the same mini-res I flower in

Can't wait to see you fire this baby up!

I know this system would kick ass stand alone for sure...but I am wanting to do DD's system so the next step is that...I will flower a few in this set-up to test it's power tho.....

I have endless amounts of room to use really, but even so, time dictates the scope of projects whether I like it or not....so I try to be realistic...

This is what I like about the ebb 'n' gro set up's using the net pots. I can pull em out, clean, move, trim etc.... Nice work bro.

I know, it will be super easy to maintain and keep the show clean...thanks for the kind words guys!

I will get pics up of the system running with little ladies in it ASAP

L

Lost

Are you going to put airstones on the bottom of each bucket, and if so, what are you going with?

Also what air pumps are you using? I just got a Hailea hi-blow 80 and im really impressed, this thing is a monster!!!

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Are you going to put airstones on the bottom of each bucket, and if so, what are you going with?

A 6 inch round air stone is to be added to the bottom of each bucket. Add a couple air stones to the main res also.

Also what air pumps are you using?
I can't take a pic right now but the air pump is pretty much this one:
pump.jpg

L

Lost

Ahh the sunleaves o2 easy?

Gotcha!

My only suggestion is to add one more 1 inch drain and put a T in there for drain clogging redundancy. Also with 2 drains it goes from a fast flow drain that will suck roots into the tubing, to a low flow lowering the current around the drain so you are not only less likly to pull roots in, but you have double the drain capicity incase it does happen.

Love your clean builds and environment, keep up the great work and you will be rewarded!! :)

O

OregonMeds

Very nice, can't wait to see your flower setup also. I hope you don't make us wait for the big setup while you flower in this.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

My only suggestion is to add one more 1 inch drain and put a T in there for drain clogging redundancy.

I thought about 2 drains per bucket but with the pumps I used the current stays nice and steady and I always try to spend at least 1/2 hour per grow per day inspecting equipment and just loving the ladies. and I plan to be rotating the net pots daily also which should help keep the roots at bay. I am setting up a few 8 bucket systems so maybe one set will get two drain holes

Love your clean builds and environment, keep up the great work and you will be rewarded!!

Thanks bro, 'preciate that....I surely know you get out what u put in, no matter what u do in life

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Very nice, can't wait to see your flower setup also. I hope you don't make us wait for the big setup while you flower in this.

LOL, u'll be waiting for a little bit on the big flower but not too long. a few weeks.....in the meantime I am finishing a couple other flower rooms (soil) and tinkering with this system. Thanks for the kind words

B

Boots Sugarleaf

This first pic shows the 3/4" ball valve in the feed line, a one way flow valve will be put in the bottom black line. Shop was out of black tubing when I did this so I used some clear I had handy and then duct-taped over it to keep light out:

3-4_in_ball_valve.jpg

This is just an overview of a few running buckets...you can see the way I used the drip line, I just connected a 6 way splitter via 1/2" poly...Every 6 buckets will get two of these:

overview_running.jpg

L

Lost

Looking good boots. I ended up with the same "T's" you did. I love em! My flower room is finishing up, and then I expect to be down for 2 week for construction and electrical work. After that, its on!!!! It looks like there will be 3 of us at least starting in January with full MPD setups.

My standby grow is pre98 bubba from cutting. I have G13 as well. Im really wanting to run Raskal's OG thru the system first, but I dunno what to do!!! Ill be doing the 4 bucket 5 light setup, with 3 tons total of a/c. I need to install a 2 ton a/c yet, lol...

O

OregonMeds

On the subject of plants most suited to this does anyone have experience with enough strains to say which might be best for this out of Mendo, Special Ed, Snowdog BX, or Pineapple Express?

These are all new to me and I haven't flowered any of them out yet. The current strains I'm running I already know aren't suitable. (AK, ATF, Blueberry)

L

Lost

OM - DD's has grown alot of G13 and I think thats and 98 bubba are favorites of his for this system. I know 98 bubba is very tolerant, and easy to please, and from what I can tell from 4 weeks with her, so is G13 (I got it because of DD's posts. Tooks months to find the cutting, and even then I just happened across it, LOL!). They seem to like the same stuff. From what I gather if I run the G13 I will be looking at the largest yields. However 2 pounds a plant of primo Raskal's OG would be worth more to me than a higher yield of g13.

My RCDWC tub system loves 98 bubba, or the other way around, lol. The Erkle I have in it loves it as well, but is not close to what the 98 bubba yields.

O

OregonMeds

That's great for the second run, but the above strains are all I have mothers for at the moment and I don't want to wait really. I can track down clones, but I don't know who might have those near me.

What is the process used to select a strain other than what's been tried? Is there a thread? Thick branches, heavy producing, strength of the stem/branch joints, proper shape and height at finish, doesn't rot in dwc?

I will probably start looking for clones of the ones you mention, but in the meantime I'd just like to know because I will have to grow some variety at some point.

I don't see how practical it is to always crank out the same thing.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

Heya Boots...... not sure how I missed your thread but you makin one helluva intro...........

Clean , clear attention ta detail with potential out the ass......

I`ll be over here in the peanut gallery watchin and waitin....Now get after it Dawg.......LOL.....

Ya`ll startin a whole new movement over here.......OVERGROW........

Peace....DHF.......:bong-hits:

Thanks much DHF..I appreciate your input and surly know u have tips and trix you can offer me so please do anytime brotha

I think lotsa guys started the movement, or just maybe movements happen naturally and some people decide to get on board

at any rate....California is good, I'm medical, so, fuck yeah, OVERGROW!!

B

Boots Sugarleaf

On the subject of plants most suited to this does anyone have experience with enough strains to say which might be best for this out of Mendo, Special Ed, Snowdog BX, or Pineapple Express?

These are all new to me and I haven't flowered any of them out yet. The current strains I'm running I already know aren't suitable. (AK, ATF, Blueberry)

Mendo what? Mendo purps would be good and anything that grows similarly...I have not grown the other ones you mention, at least not by those names. you want a pretty even mix of sativa and indica or straight indica or afghani in growth habit from my understanding....the short blueberry phenotype would do ok, but not the stretchy one

I don't know where ur at but are ya medical? call the nearest clubs and ask what they have in stock perhaps? or just order some seeds

Top Bottom