Miracle grow soil good?

• Thread starter moyerjoey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

moyerjoey

I can get miracle grow organic soil which says it feeds plants up to 2 months is this any good or no if not can any one offer a good soil to get I can also get fox farm but I think that stuff is like 25 a bag and I would need to fill like 5 or 6 3x3x3 holes so it would need about how many bags of soil to fill each hole thanks for any help and I dont want to mix my own soil with compost and all that I just want to take the soil to my hole and fill it in I can also get earth worm castings would that help the soil I can get or suggested

R

Rural_GrowOp

Miracle grow has time released ferts in it which makes it very hard to control the amount of ferts that they are given. In my opinion soil is one thing you don't want to go cheap on. Spend the money on the FF it will make a huge difference. I made the mistake ONCE of using miracle grow and it was the worste harvest I ever had.

Just my .02

M

moyerjoey

how many of these bags would I need to fill one 3x3x3 hole like I said I need enough soil to fill about 5 of these holes

O

OGrower707

whats up moyerjoey, FF is too expensive and known to burn seedlings...get organic black gold potting soil, its cheap and has all the good sea bird/ bat guana and casting's as well. Lots of soil companies let you come to their compound if you live near one and fill up the bed of a truck for like 200 bucks, thats what power flower does here up north,,good look choosing your soil man

M

moyerjoey

thanks ya I should have mentioned I would be putting my germed seeds right in these holes where can I get this organic black gold from I have nothing near me but wall mart and home depot there has to be decent soil in one of those that I can use

R

Rural_GrowOp

I have been using ocean forest for seedlings and cuttings for a while now with no problems. I have seen some slight burning on seedlings but nothing to worry about.

M

moyerjoey

ya im just looking for something simple and easy all the extra stuff you need to throw in organic soil sounds complicated to be doing at my site and I have no where to mix it at away from there and fox farms expensive if any one has a good cheap soil that can atleast take my plant to flowering then if appreciate it with a name for it not just organic soil

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Pro-mix with added topsoil/potting soil. I've grown in straight pro mix outdoors with good success but top/potting soil makes it go farther and top soil is cheap, potting soil a bit more.

1points3

Are you sure the Organic Miracle Grow you can get says it feeds up to two months? I know the regular chemmy stuff states that, but I just looked at one of my bags and I can't find that info. I use the stuff all the time, and it defenitely does not feed for up to two months. No time released fertilizer is in it, just a very small amount of poultry litter. I know that a couple of kinds exist though. The one I have (and love) is the "Organic Choice" and even the wetting agent in it is organic. I personally adore the stufff, and think it works great. I do add one part perlite two every two parts of the Organic Choice mix though, because the mix alone is way too condensed. Fox Farm is better, but as you mentioned, the prices are night and day. However, you mentioned that you want a mix that is complete with nutrients to take you into flowering. The Organic Choice MG will not do this, so maybe the Fox Farm mix is the way to go. As OG707 mentioned the FF ferts can be too hot. I've killed seedlings with it. Maybe start your seeds in the Organic Miracle Grow perlite mix, and then use the Fox Farm in the ground. I wish you the best.

C

caliskunker

mg free gants with every bag!!! ff is the way to go or pro if u have cash

1points3

True. The gnats do love the miracle grow. A proper watering regiment gets rid of them fast though. And gnats usually are not a problem outdoors.

R

ryo

I have used MG with ferts for outdoor for over 3 yrs and it does fine, I do add worm casings and promix, but the trick is put it in the hole a few weeks before you transplant or bury your beans. This gives your mix time to soak into the surrounding area so the roots will sprad out. Works for me.

O

OGkushsmoker

i heard blackgold is sold at home depot check it out let me know

hubcap

hubcap

2 bags Fox Farms Ocean Forest
1 Bale ProMix (HP) (BX) what have you...
1 Large bag of small-meduim coarseness perlite.
(some add lime/pH buffer of some sort to mix, some do not. all personal pref.)
^^
is a great mix that will go a long way to filling many holes. and isnt all THAT pricey beacuse the ProMix is relatively cheap per bale and that bale can make 2 bags of FFoF seem like 4. (without any adverse effect on soil or soils behaviour.)

also, home de-pot does sell black gold and "orchid mix" at all, or most, of their stores. Good soil for the price, as well. But the bags are usually smaller than the FF or ProMix bales......

miracle grow works, in an absolute pinch, but you most likey wont be happy with the results, or, results could have been alot better.
imo, save the MG for the pretty flowers or anything else non MJ and vege related.
(just let it be known, if your purchasing true organic soils....gnats are a real possibility....ive got em from FF as well as cheaper soils. just a fact of life and honestly the fungus gnats are harmless other than flying up your nose when youre trying to breathe. :D)

if ya got more questions or want us all to expend on our opinions, just let us know.

N

Nuglover

I just bought a bag of MG organic potting mix(not even the cheaper garden soil) to add some filler to my flower bed outside and when I opened the bag it was about 40%sticks and wood chips...I would use it to fill a hole in the yard, just not one I was putting a plant in. It is a pain though. The last time I ordered soil the shipping cost more than the soil. The closest grow shop is hours away.

P

pure arghan

i would agree with 1points3 organic miracle grow is the shit for out door and indoor, for instence, when im growing inside miracle grow gives me a good 20% increse in yeald and speed of maturaty, when growing outside iv seen an increse of about 20-30% in yeld and time, i would get them started inside frist though, will make a big dif when it comes to smoking it trust me, and good luck, let us know wot you went for and how you get on

R

Rural_GrowOp

That sucks man. I'm in the same boat though. Home depot needs to sell FF! You ever think about composting?

K

kansasgrown

how many of these bags would I need to fill one 3x3x3 hole like I said I need enough soil to fill about 5 of these holes
If you are doing straight soil bags then you would need 9 bags per hole (each bag is 3 cubic feet and you need to fill 27 cubic feet). 45 bags in total if you are doing 5 holes with this dimension.

N

Nuglover

That sucks man. I'm in the same boat though. Home depot needs to sell FF! You ever think about composting?

I've tried, I just never see it thru before something else comes along and takes all my time and attention. I had a small compost pile goin last year and let it go but it was doing very well because I had alot of dandylions in the yard and the one that grew out of the compost pile was over 5ft tall...the rest were about 10-12inches. I'd do another one if I had more room and time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom