Mites won't go away and starting week 3 of flower. HELP!

• Thread starter SNAX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SNAX

SNAX

So I have a case of some really annoying, resilient mites. I used azamax a couple times in veg, didn't really do much, pyrethrum bombed them in last week of veg, pyrethrum bombed again as soon as I put them in flower, and then thoroughly sprayed with mighty wash at the beginning of week 2 (about a week ago). I just found live mites again. What would you do?

sky high

sky high

Kinda depends on how many plants we're talking about here, IMO.

I know it's a touchy subject and it's too late now to change what you did...but if it woulda been me I woulda nuked the fuck out of em >before< I ever put em in flower with something "stronger" than those Band-Aid/"Oops, here they are again" remedies that >never< work fully. Some folks will disagree but they are the folks who more than likely still have mites. :rolleyes:

If you only have a few plants...you might try a 50/50 water/iso alcohol mix....

If it's an entire room... yikes...I feel for ya. Good luck

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Hit them with the mighty wash and then a few days later do it again. Pluck the infected leaves off plant. I dont like to spray after week 5 so you have a cpl weeks. Hit them every 3 to 4 days till week 5 then ride it out. Clean that room after harvest!;)

Paperchase

Paperchase

Get a bunch of lady bugs and let them go after u spray them thats just if u have a few plants .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So I have a case of some really annoying, resilient mites. I used azamax a couple times in veg, didn't really do much, pyrethrum bombed them in last week of veg, pyrethrum bombed again as soon as I put them in flower, and then thoroughly sprayed with mighty wash at the beginning of week 2 (about a week ago). I just found live mites again. What would you do?
First, get a new religion. Your new religion is treating for spider mites. You're going to be very religious for at least two weeks. You're also going to be very THOROUGH. Treat the soil surface, treat pots, treat adjacent areas.

Second, I would incorporate two more items into the regimen--rubbing alcohol (aka isopropyl) and a horticultural oil, my favorite is JMS Stylet because it's so easily mixed and has ZERO smell.

The alcohol is mixed with water at a 1:1 ratio, apply it EVERY THREE DAYS.

Adding these products will relieve your pocketbook from using Azamax. Keep it in your regimen, and follow the label directions precisely. Mites will not become resistant to any of these products.

SNAX

SNAX

First, get a new religion. Your new religion is treating for spider mites. You're going to be very religious for at least two weeks. You're also going to be very THOROUGH. Treat the soil surface, treat pots, treat adjacent areas.

Second, I would incorporate two more items into the regimen--rubbing alcohol (aka isopropyl) and a horticultural oil, my favorite is JMS Stylet because it's so easily mixed and has ZERO smell.

The alcohol is mixed with water at a 1:1 ratio, apply it EVERY THREE DAYS.

Adding these products will relieve your pocketbook from using Azamax. Keep it in your regimen, and follow the label directions precisely. Mites will not become resistant to any of these products.

Thanks for the reply! What strength is alcohol should be used. I have 70% at the house currently. Also, can the oil be safely mixed in to the I so/water solution?

urbanfog

urbanfog

Thanks for the reply! What strength is alcohol should be used. I have 70% at the house currently. Also, can the oil be safely mixed in to the I so/water solution?

Ill let SM confirm, but in my learnin's "Yes, and yes"

Also when I was fighting them bastards, a shop vac came in handy for getting the borg off the plant, removing webbing, extra clean up etc

;)

Jboys3

Jboys3

You might try 'No Spider Mites'. It has worked in controlling mites in my bloom room. Key word is controlling...

Do you grow indoors or out?

socalpunx

socalpunx

Throw the plants away.bleach the whole room and start over with clean plants

SNAX

SNAX

You might try 'No Spider Mites'. It has worked in controlling mites in my bloom room. Key word is controlling...

Do you grow indoors or out?
I grow ins, I'll keep an eye out for that product.

@socalpunx - throwing away plants is not an option and not really necessary. Only about 4 or 5 plants of 12 have a few mites survivin.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

You can use the 70% in this way, but 91% is stronger. You can also spray straight iso, either percentage, but that can get tiring and expensive. I do not mix the oil with the iso/water, I use it separately, because I'm CHEAP and doing it that way allows me to spread out treatments for a longer duration, alternating JMS with alcohol. I've also been doing some experiments with rosemary, both fresh and essential oil, and it's pretty darn effective.

Also, raising the RH to a high level, and I'm talking about 70%+, and lowering temperatures will do a LOT to slow them down. The very first time I experienced them was in my veg box, and they never infested my flowering room for the following reasons:
1) direction, I handle my least valuable plants last, most valuable first (that would mean flowering plants are handled first, vegging plants next, vegetables last);
2) very cool temps in flowering room (which caused me problems with flowering--not recommended if it can be avoided), and by that I mean daytime temps around 65*F seriously slowed down reproduction if not stopping it altogether, this is assuming any mites found their way into that room;
and 3) high relative humidity in said flowering room, tended to be in the mid-50s, but sometimes hit the mid-70s.

Jboys3

Jboys3

I grow ins, I'll keep an eye out for that product.

@socalpunx - throwing away plants is not an option and not really necessary. Only about 4 or 5 plants of 12 have a few mites survivin.
My advice is to follow ttystix recipe while your plants are in the veg room. It worked for me and I controlled what was already in my bloom room with the No Spider Mites. It worked!

I also grow at a lower temperature [65-70]. This helps slow down their reproduction. However; cleanliness is really the ounce of prevention here.

homebrew420

homebrew420

and maybe some rosemary oil to the spray, or just rosemary plants sporadically in your grow area
Do not use rosemary plants. They too will be attacked and devoured. Just in the same way mums get aphids. Simply because plants contain useful/effective means of halting pests does not mean it will be in an amount to make a difference.
Just my 2cents

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Im sorry to say..............

Kill everything, sanitize, and wait three weeks before starting new plants. This is the only way to assure that your space is 100% mite free. You should not be spraying any natural or otherwise miticide onto your plants anytime after flipping to flower. Dont believe for a minute that a little Azamax, alcohol or rosemary oil will help. You can try every product out there but the best will only control the problem. It's much easier to sacrifice one crop and some time now, than to deal with trying to control mites for the rest of your life.. The other thing to think about is how you got them to help prevent further attacks. My garden hasn't seen a mite in 4 years, but mites thrive outside my doors in the naturally dry and hot climate. I use seeds 99.9% of the time, .1% clones are isolated outside the house and get sprayed twice in a two week period, with an alternation of Avid and Floramite. It works, but it's expensive and not 100% organic......that's why I almost always grow from seed. Clones are the #1 source of mites......don't trust anyone..

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Lady bugs just die in your hoods, worthless. Spraying them like seamaiden said and keeping the temps down and rh up will at least keep them at bay

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Im sorry to say..............

Kill everything, sanitize, and wait three weeks before starting new plants. This is the only way to assure that your space is 100% mite free. You should not be spraying any natural or otherwise miticide onto your plants anytime after flipping to flower. Dont believe for a minute that a little Azamax, alcohol or rosemary oil will help. You can try every product out there but the best will only control the problem. It's much easier to sacrifice one crop and some time now, than to deal with trying to control mites for the rest of your life.. The other thing to think about is how you got them to help prevent further attacks. My garden hasn't seen a mite in 4 years, but mites thrive outside my doors in the naturally dry and hot climate. I use seeds 99.9% of the time, .1% clones are isolated outside the house and get sprayed twice in a two week period, with an alternation of Avid and Floramite. It works, but it's expensive and not 100% organic......that's why I almost always grow from seed. Clones are the #1 source of mites......don't trust anyone..

In the mountains mites thrive on juniper trees. My neighbor has a HUGE juniper tree next to where he had a few indoor plants and I have never seen a crop chewed/webbed up so fast. Chop it down if you have one and plant a chokecherry or something else.

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

I had them on a clone once also and had such a small garden it was no issue. I think you need to use a flamethrower, and napalm on everything, but since that is not a option. I agree to toss everthing if the harvest is going to be sold to the public, cause I had some funky mold/fungus/bug bud from a club and was not to happy. If your putting it in your own lungs then you know whats the risk. I"ll pass on that!

La contfondetial bud moldbugs 001
La contfondetial bud moldbugs 002
La contfondetial bud moldbugs 003
La contfondetial bud moldbugs 004
La contfondetial bud moldbugs 005

Latest posts

Top Bottom