Mitt Romney Marijuana Views Echo Long Progressive History Of U.S. Drug War

• Thread starter liketosmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
liketosmoke

liketosmoke

This Is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America
This is the history on how pot became illegal is USA great read.

sky high

sky high

Sounds like we may all be going back underground soon.

I smell money. Funny how that happens, huh?

"choose your heroes, choose 'em well...they could be leading you straight into Hell" Rundgren

squiggly

squiggly

If you like pot--clearly Obama.

Actually let me make it easier for you.

If you are about weed being legal--you'll want to vote for every democrat you possibly can in every election, ever.

Republicans made it illegal to start, they've kept it illegal all this time, they are leading the charge against marijuana activism, and to top it all off they are the party which is, far and away, THE VERY BEST at ignoring scientific proof and installing their own conception of what is happening rather than acquiescing to multiple, repeated, trials and evidences that AT THE VERY LEAST MMJ is of medical utility.

Republicans have done literally almost every single bad thing policy wise when it comes to MJ, medical or otherwise.

Use your heads folks.

putembk

putembk

Frankly squiggly that doesn't make it easy for me. I am not a follower of either party. I don't trust either on them. I don't think either believe in what they are preaching at this point, the will say or do anything to get votes.
At the end of the day we all have to do (vote) for what is best for us as individuals. And it's a damed if you do damed if you don't situation. This country isn't about what the PEOPLE want it's about what the politicians want for us. Somewhere along the way we have lost our sense of direction. To fucking bad all we can do is try and go along as best as we can.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
We will see a widespread end to Mmj as we know it under Romney. Anyone who think otherwise or who thinks it is worse under Obama is delusional. The raids in CA will be thorough and nationwide under romney.

A long time underground friend of mine said "I had lights burning before all of this, and I'll have lights burning after all if this."

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

Frankly squiggly that doesn't make it easy for me. I am not a follower of either party. I don't trust either on them. I don't think either believe in what they are preaching at this point, the will say or do anything to get votes.
At the end of the day we all have to do (vote) for what is best for us as individuals. And it's a damed if you do damed if you don't situation. This country isn't about what the PEOPLE want it's about what the politicians want for us. Somewhere along the way we have lost our sense of direction. To fucking bad all we can do is try and go along as best as we can.

Agreed on all counts. That said, Squiggly has his finger on the truth of the current election; if you're an MMJ voter- and if you're reading this here it tells me you are- then you vote democratic. Not because they're any more trustworthy than the 'convertisans', but because they at least remember what civil liberties are all about. Current Republican policy and platform smells fishy because it's FASCIST, that is, 'corporate power over all and denial of individual freedoms'. That's not meant to be an insult as much as a simple descriptive. If it's insulting, then try to refute it? Bet ya can't...

Anyone remember the 'Red Scare' from the 1950s? Witchunts and paranoia because the commies were out to get us? Senator Joseph McCarthy grilling innocent civilians and abusing their civil rights? Joe McCarthy was a REPUBLICAN, people! Do you really think they've changed since then?!

squiggly

squiggly

It doesn't need to be about trust in this situation.

There are 80 years of solid, immovable, history which dictates that the party of progressive drug policies is far and away the democratic party. The GOP has been behind every loss to personal liberty when it comes to what you're allowed to put into your bodies.

They did it first for racism's sake, and now they do it purely for ca$h money. Either way you flip the coin, about half of the republican constituency are legalists (look up this word--its a good one and accurately describes most republicans I meet)--its going to be a long time before that changes.

Now if you get into other issues, there are perfectly good reasons to side with the GOP (even though I, personally, do not)--but as for marijuana: If you want it legal or decriminalized, a vote for a republican is assuredly counter-productive.

Now that doesn't mean that electing a democrat is necessarily productive--it just means they aren't likely to make things worse, as a republican is almost guaranteed to (they prove it all the time).

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

If you like smoking marijuana then vote for Obama, if not vote for Romney. Pretty simple! We only have two choices, one is not the best for marijuana (Obama) and the other is the worst for marijuana (Romney), please get it figured out people, don't fuck this up.....as much as I would like to 5 g for a p I do not want to return to the 90's or 80's for that matter........ This is especially true for those of you living in the swing states, especially colorado, don't give this election to an self obsessed Mormon who has never even cracked a beer much less think that mmj is valid. Lets do this people!

ttystikk

ttystikk

As an aside to the Original Poster; methinks you should have replaced 'progressive' with 'regressive', because regression is exactly what will happen under a Romeny white house.

12 years ago, I said if America is foolish enough to elect "Shrubbery 43" then it deserves what happens. It was worse than I expected. A Romney win will be just as bad, if not worse.

putembk

putembk

Wow, getting sucked in here. When I start talking politics I say things that are offensive and racism some how gets involved. I will not go there. Like I said, I am not and will champion member of either party. I know I am a minority here but from a finical standpoint I must look in another direction. Ron Paul would be a good path to follow unfortunately he has no chance.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Romney's own wife has MS, and he still has no conception of how effective cannabis is for treatment.... that should tell you everything

That said, I'm surprised you folks still buy into the purely symbolic act of voting, but that is the "power" we are told we have... one of those big lies we can't see past... The Hegelian Dialectic is strong in this country.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Wow, getting sucked in here. When I start talking politics I say things that are offensive and racism some how gets involved. I will not go there. Like I said, I am not and will champion member of either party. I know I am a minority here but from a finical standpoint I must look in another direction. Ron Paul would be a good path to follow unfortunately he has no chance.

Again, you have cut to the heart of the problem; in American politics, we're stuck with oligopoly; no matter how bad either party is, all it has to do to get back in power is to chip away at the other's credibility and be obstructionist for long enough. That's not my idea of healthy government, and I'm tired of the 'freedom of chouice' excuse when constantly confronted with only two options that have any realistic chance of getting elected.

Is a two party system better than authoritarianism? Yes, but all that proves is that it isn't the worst. Looking around at how other countries govern themselves, I'd say it's high time we get off our high horse and get on with the business of making things better, as opposed to just stopping the other party from doing anything, no matter how reasonable or worthwhile it may be.

squiggly

squiggly

You're not in the minority with that tbh. You don't have to champion anyone--all it takes is accepting the FACT that Romney will be terrible for MMJ. There isn't a discussion to be had, dude--there are no politics to be spoken.

This is just the way it is. As I've said there are any number of reasons to vote for Romney if you hold certain beliefs. However, assuming you were going to vote based solely on MJ policy--you'd want to be voting HOLY SHIT PLEASE GOD OBAMA, rather than merely "Obama".
Voting for Mitt would just be plain backwards.

If we talk all the issues, it gets hairy. I think it's still pretty clear cut, but that's not something which is a clear fact for everyone. However, the following IS: Mitt Romney will assfuck the MMJ industry beyond recognition in this country.

You guys WILL regret signing up for cards through a government office if you elect that SOB.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

As an aside to the Original Poster; methinks you should have replaced 'progressive' with 'regressive', because regression is exactly what will happen under a Romeny white house.

12 years ago, I said if America is foolish enough to elect "Shrubbery 43" then it deserves what happens. It was worse than I expected. A Romney win will be just as bad, if not worse.
I was in the same boat in 2000. I honestly think a lot of the people on this site that speak politically against obama are young, maybe too young to actually remember the realities of the W presidency, not that they couldn't open a book and learn but that doesn't happen often anymore. I am not saying this to directly to you putemb, but it seems to me that a lot of the RP supporters cannot conclude the reality of the choice of two, which we need to conclude and also access the effects of an actual Romney presidency......it will be so horrible for this country as we will see a rise in taxes for the poor, cut taxes for wealthy, environmental regulations thrown under the bus in the name of "job creation", more unpaid wars most likely with Iran and Palestine, the end of mmj entirely ( you think its bad now just fucking wait), the social regulations that surely would be coming from a Mormon in the highest office, the potential end to a somewhat legitimate supreme court, and most likely the end of a promising future for the youth as pell grants will be all but eliminated coupled with our public educational system already in shambles...... add American exceptionalism to that one and its a sure fire recipe for disaster.

sky high

sky high

Respect!

Obama may be "coming after" COMMERCIAL MMJ ops....but he hasn't said he will come after the individual patients (on the contrary)....nor has he said he WILL DISMANTLE all MMJ programs because MJ is a "gateway drug" like Mitt Rummy has.

And what about those mandatory Bylcreem applications? NO WEED, greasy hair, AND a minimum wage factory job....izzat really what ya want?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

For starters no one should be voting for a president in these terrible times based on his stance on pot,its not even important in the grand scheme of things right now BUT we all already know where obama stands,we can probably guess what will happen under romney but no matter what it will not be any worse than what obama is already doing,at least romney beleives states rights should not be trashed.Obama will have nothing to lose if re-elected again,goodbye second amendment rights etc etc it will be payback time for all those hes indebted to and its a shitload.Vote your concsience and for who you think will turn our country around not for who other people think you should vote for,majority rules(or should,lol) and well be stuck with one of these guys for the next 4 years so make it count.Im inclined to give someone else a try as the guy we have now sure aint making my life any easier,in fact just the opposite,cheap regular 4.15 a gal here and unemployment is skyrocketed not fucking 10% like obama wants you to beleive and no releif in site,wtf has he done to earn my vote?
One more thing,Marijuana has been illegal my whole life but it has also been readily available and really trouble free if you dont shove it in someones face or do something stupid,in cali when prop 19 BARELY didnt pass it was because a shit ton of growers and pro mmj peeps didnt want to change the status quo.Really unless your in the commercial marijuana business things are pretty good now so anyone who votes against romney based solely on MMJ is fuckin on crack,instead look at ALL of both candidates positions on all the rest of the issues and base a decision on that, not what some brainwashed faceless person on the internet or news tells you to do.
Good luck,were all gonna need it no matter which way it goes.

squiggly

squiggly

Also the huffington post is a shit publication and Arianna Huffington is probably the most conservative extremist I've ever had the displeasure of hearing--especially in such a high media position.

Reactions: mal
putembk

putembk

I respect all of you and your opinions and may your horse win in November. Unfortunately the govt is broke and outdated and my horse isn't running so I'm going to do the best I can with what I've got.

Latest posts

Top Bottom