Mixed spectrum vs full HPS during flower?

• Thread starter whatupdoc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whatupdoc

whatupdoc

I've got 3 1000W fixtures on light movers over a 12x10 space. For my last run, I ran all HPS.

I was entertaining the idea of running a vertical MH in the center instead of HPS; in order to provide some better side lighting when they get big, and for mixed spectrum.

What do you guys think would result from this? Less quantity but better quality? More of both quantity and quality? What is your guys' experience with full(er) spectrum during flower?

Thanks in advance

Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan

sorry, can't chime in with an answer, simply support for your question!

i want to implement this very idea inbetween the 1000ws in the warehouse. seriously, 100% the same idea! mentioned it to my lady last week.

we can't BOTH be wrong in thinking this may be beneficial! my only fear would be encouraging growth with certain bands of light that one might want to stay away from in flower (leaves, etc).

so i add to your query:

What would result from running plasma/LEDs/MH bulbs in between 1000w HPSes?

Can anyone run through all the types and what their experience has been supplementing these with HPS?

Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan

research suggests that blue light shortens node spacing and does nothing but contribute to the overall quality of the cannabis.

my fear was that blue light would 'beat out' the red due to being higher energy wavelength. it appears this doesn't occur, and simply serves to supplement.

i'm most definitely going to attempt overhead 1000w HPS's w/ vertical 400 or 600w MH's between plants

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

Yep yep. I've got a feeling that it may not result in as high of a yield, but result in better quality meds.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Outwest is mixing mh and hps in his tent. Seems to be happy.

Thanks, bro. I am very happy. I've got a much smaller setup, but run a 600mh and 600hps in a single hood through out the entire run. Works very well for me. Current run under those lights is the chaos diary in my sig. Good luck.

outwest

dankworth

dankworth

img_1721-jpg.223005

img_1732-jpg.223367

dankworth

dankworth

I've got 3 1000W fixtures on light movers over a 12x10 space. For my last run, I ran all HPS.

I was entertaining the idea of running a vertical MH in the center instead of HPS; in order to provide some better side lighting when they get big, and for mixed spectrum.

What do you guys think would result from this? Less quantity but better quality? More of both quantity and quality? What is your guys' experience with full(er) spectrum during flower?

Thanks in advance
I would recommend at least 50 watts/ft2.

420alldaze

420alldaze

do it! dankworth and outwest cant be wrong!! shiit im on the mixed spectrum bandwagon with great results. major frostiness and no sign of loss in yeild...420

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

I would recommend at least 50 watts/ft2.

The light movers are on 7' tracks, and cover 4'x10' each. It basically covers the space that two lights would. I decided to do that with 3 lights, instead of running 6, because it cuts my electricity bill in half, and also helps me keep temps under control.

I'm building a second flower room now, 10'x10', that will just have 4 lights in a square formation; no light movers. Should be fun to compare...

dankworth

dankworth

do it! dankworth and outwest cant be wrong!! shiit im on the mixed spectrum bandwagon with great results. major frostiness and no sign of loss in yeild...420
Done correctly, 2+/1k light is possible under mixed spectrum.
With additional dialage, I will break a gram a watt I think.
And with additional reinvestment and optimization, I am thinking 2.5/light is doable. I see exactly how to make that work.

K

kushtrees

If you guys look at deacons thread in the coco forums he uses dual arcs which are 600w hps and 400w my in a 1000w bulb. Ive been using vertical dual arcs for awhile now and while they are expensive I have seen minimal weight difference and a nice increase in quality. A bigger spectrum is a great thing

sdgrower

sdgrower

Thanks in advance

I have 3k in a room about the same size. I prefer ushio blue conversions and dual arcs. If you have 4 or more lights with good overlap then a mixed spectrum works best. see Dank's set up above

dankworth

dankworth

If you guys look at deacons thread in the coco forums he uses dual arcs which are 600w hps and 400w my in a 1000w bulb. Ive been using vertical dual arcs for awhile now and while they are expensive I have seen minimal weight difference and a nice increase in quality. A bigger spectrum is a great thing
Hey dude plantmax has some badass dual arcs for 80something dollars.
Plantmax is surprisingly good value.

Unit541

Unit541

In my personal space I run 2kw. Had good results running all HPS. Then I thought I'd see what this dual-arc business was about... So I bought two of them. My yield was actually a little better than the all HPS run, but not enough to rule out some other variable. However, I now run 1kw HPS and 1 KW MH. I will never go back. It seems that at least in my room, having a full thouie of each beats having the 2x600(hps) and 2x400(mh) of the dual arcs, hands down, in terms of both yield and quality. I have also taken to finishing under MH exclusively and feel it benefits the final quality.

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

I have 3k in a room about the same size. I prefer ushio blue conversions and dual arcs. If you have 4 or more lights with good overlap then a mixed spectrum works best. see Dank's set up above

Just picked up the Ushio MH for the center fixture. 2 Plantmax HPS for the outer fixtures. Snapped a pic of my light setup today, just to show you guys what I'm working with. I'm pretty convinced at this point that the mixed-spectrum setup is the way to go.

IMG 09131

henry

henry

think i'm gonna have to try out mixed after seeing some of the comments here...cool!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hey doc, any updates?? or do you have a grow diary?? I wanna see how the mixed spectrum is working for you because I was thinking of trying it.

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

I've been really lacking on my diaries. I need to drop a couple updates in there. As far as mixed spectrum, my personal findings are this: mixed spectrum will ALWAYS help out in terms of quality. Not so much in quantity. My last run, I replaced a 1000W HPS with MH and the ladies closer to the MH came out frostier (same strain comparison). This run, I've started using 600's. I've got 8 600's over 4 3'x6' tables. I'll be adding a 1000W MH vertically, on a light mover in the center of the room. I will now be looking to see what happens when mixed spectrum is introduced as supplemental, rather than replacement. Hoping for a definite boost in quality, and hopefully a little bump in weight. I'll get back into posting pics. Gotta lay off them dabs lol O.o

J

Jalisco Kid

Who suggested one bulb(either red or blue leaning) by itself is good? Dankworth if you change that room I see a lot more weight possible. White walls beats everything over a years time. JK

Top Bottom