Mkp 0-52-34 vs PeKacid 0-60-20

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

While I realize that the p and k are not the same values... I'm wondering if anyone has used pekacid in ther grow in bloom? As an addition to mkp?

I know pekacid is the commercial form of drip clean and clearex and other brands... so I know the benefits it has... I'm just wondering if anyone has incorporated it into ther fertilizer program as a P/k booster as well? (Yes I know still would need added K to balance out)

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I never needed that much P so never used it. Might be a nice balance from Si jacking your PH up to 10. I mean you just need potassium chloride or potassium nitrate to balance it out but the question is do you want a different ratio then what mkp has? I'm not understanding going this route if you are going to add something else to it to bring up the K unless you have a target ratio/ppm you are trying to hit that mkp doesn't. Honestly just curious since I only use mkp for veg now not flower.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Well my reason for using it will be a few... one for the same benefits as drip clean.... another would be a high p booster during transition(first 2 weeks of flower to promote more bud sites)...

Ideally I use my base nutes at 500-600ppm and up the ppm to 700-750 with the booster.... feed every watering ...

So I dint want to abandon the mkp... more so add the 2 together.. like 100ppm mkp and 50ppm pekacid...

My fkower base nutes have more than enough K (14-5-38) and is low in P ... but after transition K is used more than P...

This is a new recipe from a long time commercial grower I decided to try.... I've seen his product and it's pure fire so I know the recipe works and he is consistently getting 2.5 per light

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use monopotassium phosphate. 1gram per 5 gal gives about 50ppm of P and 60ppm of K so you can just calculate what your goal is based on your base nutes. Very easy to find and cheap as hell. If you need to add more k to balance it out and you use RO water you could always go with potassium bicarbonate as a buffer. Never used pekacid before.
Interesting thought though. Keep us updated if you try.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Well my reason for using it will be a few... one for the same benefits as drip clean.... another would be a high p booster during transition(first 2 weeks of flower to promote more bud sites)...

Ideally I use my base nutes at 500-600ppm and up the ppm to 700-750 with the booster.... feed every watering ...

So I dint want to abandon the mkp... more so add the 2 together.. like 100ppm mkp and 50ppm pekacid...

My fkower base nutes have more than enough K (14-5-38) and is low in P ... but after transition K is used more than P...

This is a new recipe from a long time commercial grower I decided to try.... I've seen his product and it's pure fire so I know the recipe works and he is consistently getting 2.5 per light

Fair enough. I haven't messed with P boost the first 2 weeks and run low P (>100ppm) pretty much throughout flower so curious how it goes for you. Also about to move to dosers so less phos acid the better for me.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
While I realize that the p and k are not the same values... I'm wondering if anyone has used pekacid in ther grow in bloom? As an addition to mkp?

I know pekacid is the commercial form of drip clean and clearex and other brands... so I know the benefits it has... I'm just wondering if anyone has incorporated it into ther fertilizer program as a P/k booster as well? (Yes I know still would need added K to balance out)
It is a compound to help farmers who irrigate with high alkaline water sources. Unless you have high alkalinity in your water there is no need for it. Unless of course you are battling high Ph rise in your media.

From ICL's site

New fertilizer formulations offer plant nutrition and help manage water quality. By: Fred Hulme, Ph.D.,
Adapted from published article in Greenhouse Management, February 2013 Ornamental growers have long struggled with managing growing media pH. Maintaining correct growing media pH is critical for many crops especially if production time is greater than six to eight weeks. When media pH rises excessively, micronutrients become less available and young leaves on affected plants turn chlorotic (Figure 1). The most frequent cause of high rootzone pH is highly alkaline irrigation water. The first step in understanding raising media pH is to test the water and determine the level of alkalinity. If the level is high, Peters Excel® pHLow®, using technology based on PeKacid neutralizes bicarbonates in high alkaline waters to keep the pH stable while keeping injectors and drip lines clear of mineral deposits. Growers need to simultaneously provide proper nutrition for their crops and manage irrigation water alkalinity (maintaining growing media pH control). Peters® Excel pHLow®, is the ICL Specialty Fertilizer water soluble fertilizer line that feeds your plants and manages your pH at ideal growing levels. Contact your ICL Specialty Fertilizer territory manager or one of our distributors for more information.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I use monopotassium phosphate. 1gram per 5 gal gives about 50ppm of P and 60ppm of K so you can just calculate what your goal is based on your base nutes. Very easy to find and cheap as hell. If you need to add more k to balance it out and you use RO water you could always go with potassium bicarbonate as a buffer. Never used pekacid before.
Interesting thought though. Keep us updated if you try.

Curious since I don't know how to calculate actual ppms of the fertilizers...

If its 0-52-34... how does 1 g per 5 gal give 50ppm of p and 60 ppm of k?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Curious since I don't know how to calculate actual ppms of the fertilizers...

If its 0-52-34... how does 1 g per 5 gal give 50ppm of p and 60 ppm of k?
I use a program called hydrobuddy it take the source and will calculate concentrates and direct addition amounts by weight, volume and ppm etc. It takes into account the availability of the source used. You can also just out it the ppm for any and all nutrients and then hit calculate and it will use the nutrients you have in whatever form and give you how much of each to out in by weight or volume. It will also calculate how to make a+b concentrates and which sources go in which. You need to go into substance selection to add or remove which sources you have available.

Here is a thread with some good info. But the nutrient calculator hydrobuddy makes it all easy.

Last edited:
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Ok just curious how mkp which is 52% P and 34% k ends up giving more k than p once diluted in water?
Shouldnt there still be more p than k?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

yeah that's 60/75 ppm per gal
I know why... Because I use tap water and I have my tap water recorded into my hydrobuddy so it takes the nutrient make up of my tap water into account when calculating.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

So can someone verify my calculations?

Using 14-5-38 mixing 0.3lbs per 50 gallons gives a npk ppm of 110-15-200?

Then adding 45g of mkp to 50 gallons of water should add about 50-50ppms of p-k?

For total of 110-65-250?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok just curious how mkp which is 52% P and 34% k ends up giving more k than p once diluted in water?
Shouldnt there still be more p than k?
The availability like I posted earlier. P and K are an exception. Ferts list them as a combination of P2o5 and P and K20 and K as totals by weight. There are calculations used that will give you the amount of elemental P and K which is immediately available for uptake. for P its P205x0.44=P and for K its K20x0.83=K. This is why i just use a nutrient calculator. I'm to dam lazy to do all this.

Last edited:
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I do a calculator bit it's not the one you reccomend cuz it's only available for windows... I use android

That's why I asked someone to confirm my calculations I did with the calculator app I downloaded

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do a calculator bit it's not the one you reccomend cuz it's only available for windows... I use android

That's why I asked someone to confirm my calculations I did with the calculator app I downloaded
not at home till later.

Top Bottom