Molasses

• Thread starter Timbo0716
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When I water I water. When I feed I only go about 10% runoff but when I water I'll run 50% runoff, I put them on a table water,spin 90 then water spin 90 and so on until I know the soil is saturated, not just watered.I flood the system with water 100% then let drain completely until I put it back into the flower room.
Sounds like good practice.

Galvatron

Galvatron

There is a thought that watering molasses into soil can help feed the microbes. However, because it is such a long chain molecule it can actually smother the micorrhiza field. Perhaps it is better used in microbial compost tea.
There is a product from Nectar for the Gods called Aphrodite's Extraction that is specifically created for feeding the microbe population without damaging the micorrhiza field.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There is a thought that watering molasses into soil can help feed the microbes. However, because it is such a long chain molecule it can actually smother the micorrhiza field. Perhaps it is better used in microbial compost tea.
There is a product from Nectar for the Gods called Aphrodite's Extraction that is specifically created for feeding the microbe population without damaging the micorrhiza field.
Not sure about this. Doesn't sound right to me about a molecule size smothering bacteria and fungi. I could see to much causing a sticky mess in the soil hurting o2 exchange that could hurt microbes.

I could be wrong I can't say with way.

BigCube

BigCube

Just cause they say they are for hydro doesn't mean they should be. Ferts companies do anything for $$$. No way I hell am I putting sugars in my hydro system. I have plenty of experience with bacteria in water and your just asking for trouble doing that.

Oh I'm with you lol. I just wonder if the plant actually benefits from the sugar.
I've had people tell me it does work I hydroponic systems. But like you said I'd never put it in mine.

PiGrow

PiGrow

I was told that with chemical nutes using molasses was a waste of time because the chemical nutes kill off the organisms in the soil that use the sugars in molasses. He went on to say molasses only works in organic gardening. Now I don't know really one way or the other, this is a good way to find out. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will pipe in to help us out. I believed it would add sugars and Cal/mag to the soil and couldn't hurt in small doses .

The chemical nutrients will not, however non-RO or distilled water will. Chlorine and Chloramine in particular are in municipal water to kill microbes. Watering your plant with that constantly will kill bacteria in the soil for sure.

PiGrow

PiGrow

Oh I'm with you lol. I just wonder if the plant actually benefits from the sugar.
I've had people tell me it does work I hydroponic systems. But like you said I'd never put it in mine.

In my experience back in the day using Advanced Nutrients Sweet Leaf, and Bud Candy, simple sugar based supplements do affect scent and flavor - terpenes. I won't say they make everything better, as any terpene profile is based on genetics, but it does help provide the plant, and the bacteria in the soil, a simple sugar to thrive on,

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I was told that with chemical nutes using molasses was a waste of time because the chemical nutes kill off the organisms in the soil that use the sugars in molasses. He went on to say molasses only works in organic gardening. Now I don't know really one way or the other, this is a good way to find out. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will pipe in to help us out. I believed it would add sugars and Cal/mag to the soil and couldn't hurt in small doses .
Sorry but that was a old wives tale..

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Not sure about this. Doesn't sound right to me about a molecule size smothering bacteria and fungi. I could see to much causing a sticky mess in the soil hurting o2 exchange that could hurt microbes.

I could be wrong I can't say with way.
Bet it keeps the bugs happy AF!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The chemical nutrients will not, however non-RO or distilled water will. Chlorine and Chloramine in particular are in municipal water to kill microbes. Watering your plant with that constantly will kill bacteria in the soil for sure.
Have to respectfully disagree it doesn't last long in the soil at all when chlorine and chloramine react with organics they are destroyed. With the reproductive rates of bacteria and microbes in general it's not an issue unless high amounts have been used.

Ph is of far bigger concern. Nutrient build crashing soil ph will decimate bacteria and microbes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But I absolutely agree that in teas its bad news.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I've heard that too. I dont know man.

But those products I pointed out are for use in hydro. They are full of sugars.

They are basically just refined moslasses/cane/yucca/ect so you can use them in rezs and drip systems. Molasses/sugars has a bad habit of foaming so they used the refined versions and ofc charge a ton of money for them.

In my experience back in the day using Advanced Nutrients Sweet Leaf, and Bud Candy, simple sugar based supplements do affect scent and flavor - terpenes. I won't say they make everything better, as any terpene profile is based on genetics, but it does help provide the plant, and the bacteria in the soil, a simple sugar to thrive on,

Most of those products have Mg and S in them like Mag sulfate. That is where then "enhancement" is coming from. Hell some of them have strait up mag sulfate in them. The Carb question is debated quite heavily. There is some benefits to them the last 2 weeks of flower but who knows it the products you are using is actually supplying the right type of carb. If you see a benefit from a pure carb product minus the Mg and S then that will tell you. I never did. Epsom did a hell of a lot more for me as a "booster" than any type of sugar product did and boat loads cheaper.

"To get the maximum benefit, a carbohydrate supplement must have the correct profile—ideally, one that is tailored to your plant species. The right carbs must be applied in the right ratios and doses. "

PiGrow

PiGrow

Most of those products have Mg and S in them like Mag sulfate. That is where then "enhancement" is coming from.

I had no idea about that! Honestly Sweet Leaf was marketed as just sugars, so I really thought it was literally just molasses based sugars. Thats really interesting to think I could have been using Mag instead -- that stuff was really expensive and we dosed it heavily.

PiGrow

PiGrow

Have to respectfully disagree it doesn't last long in the soil at all when chlorine and chloramine react with organics they are destroyed.

Really? I always heard that using things like Mycorrhizae supplements was a waste without RO or distilled water because you'd be constantly hurting the bacteria population you spent money to inoculate?

Your opinion is really useful as I am literally debating an RO system for my setup based literally on this data point.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Really? I always heard that using things like Mycorrhizae supplements was a waste without RO or distilled water because you'd be constantly hurting the bacteria population you spent money to inoculate?

Your opinion is really useful as I am literally debating an RO system for my setup based literally on this data point.
I should be clear don't mix beneficial bacteria and fungi in chlorinated water. But mixing nutes in tap/chlorinated water and adding to the soil will hardly make a dent in the microbes unless it at high amounts.

That make sense?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Never used it just know the science behind it. Plants also naturally feed the microbes during lights out. Thet release starches and such from the roots. This also attracts microbes that form a symbiotic relationship. I guess a microbial analysis of the soil with and without if one could find would give the best info but idk one exists.
I’m not Goode enuff to even try yet no way I would notice and I’m suppose to be organic ! Lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Although some of the byproducts that are produced when chlorine and chloramine come in to contact with organics are pretty dam nasty.

You can also neutralize chlorine with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) I think its about 1gram per 100gal. That's based on the average tap water I see at 1ppm of chloramine. The legal limit is 4ppm so dose may change.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Although some of the byproducts that are produced when chlorine and chloramine come in to contact with organics are pretty dam nasty.

You can also neutralize chlorine with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) I think its about 1gram per 100gal. That's based on the average tap water I see at 1ppm of chloramine. The legal limit is 4ppm so dose may change.
What’s ur opinion rain water. I never use tap water ever all kinds of nasty stuff in there.
Rain water or my own RO is what I use ?

Migrower

Migrower

Can I add molasses to my water with the rest of my nutes? or should I add it alone with just RO water.
So this is pretty much the jist of it. First off to answer your question. You should be mixing the molasses(unsulfered)with just water or in a tea. There are some molecules that the glucose will bind with in many nutrients and alter the consistency and efficiency of such products. Next the only time you want to implement any carbohydrates(sugars)to your regiment is to feed microbes and bennies and fungi that may be in your medium. As for use in hydro it can be done but molasses is a hard one in a res and lines and emitters can gum up. Other products are out there. More often used in a drain to waste setup. When feeding salts like I do they can still be implemented. The idea is too keep a healthy colony of your preferred organisms. So you must keep up on the colony and on feeding them. So you use more tribus or what not then in other systems. The market is flooded with b.s. products most are water. There are a few ok ones but most bs I’m gonna try to make my own but it’s tricky. But I believe the juice from fruit along with a cpl other ingredients would be great. But I need one that will work with my setup indoors and it’s tricky.

Galvatron

Galvatron

The following are copied sections referring to Aphrodite's Extraction:
"Made by extracting oligosaccharides from bovine milk fat. Oregon’s Only then digests it, resulting in mono and poly saccharides and ultimately those saccharides are then converted into sucrose and dextrose. Literally “Liquid Fall” in a bottle. You have a short time at the end of your plants life cycle to sweeten your fruits and make them the most desirable. Aphrodite’s Extraction provides a rich blend of a proprietary blend of sucrose, fructose, chelated nutrients, vitamins, and organic acids to promote a thriving microbial population and strong, healthy plant growth."

"NFTG started doing biological tests, studying the differences between the digested carbons of Aphrodite’s Extraction and the carbon in Molasses using a microscope. They found that the carbon from molasses is huge. Molasses is a super complex long chain of sugars into a microscopic organism. In other words, it’s a lead blanket. So while you’re feeding molasses to the top of your plants, and you’re wondering why you have to keep re-inoculating your mycorrhizae that you spent $300 a pound on, it’s because you’re choking them with a carbon chain that they can’t possibly break down."

"For the cellular level, It’s the energy, it’s the life force, it’s what the plant has to create through chlorophyll to create the energy to grow and become healthy and strong so if you’re not producing the right type of sugar through the vegetation and through the foliage, you have to have some form of sugar, it has to be the right type of sugar and have the sugar in the correct form, whether it is dextrose or sucrose. That helps the translocation of nutrients and the availability of nutrients through energy inside the plant. You’re basically feeding the biological activity but you’re not feeding the plant when you use molasses. You’re not feeding the plant at all, it can’t digest it, because it’s too big. You are literally waiting for the microbes to break that down, so if you do multiple dilutions of that, you’re just choking out your microbial field."

Latest posts

Top Bottom