Molasses

• Thread starter Timbo0716
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can I add molasses to my water with the rest of my nutes? or should I add it alone with just RO water.
I'm sure it would work to just add to nutes after phing (if you do,I don't) I cant see any reason it would react with any nutrient source that's not concentrated.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm sure it would work to just add to nutes after phing (if you do,I don't) I cant see any reason it would react with any nutrient source that's not concentrated.
I was told that with chemical nutes using molasses was a waste of time because the chemical nutes kill off the organisms in the soil that use the sugars in molasses. He went on to say molasses only works in organic gardening. Now I don't know really one way or the other, this is a good way to find out. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will pipe in to help us out. I believed it would add sugars and Cal/mag to the soil and couldn't hurt in small doses .

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was told that with chemical nutes using molasses was a waste of time because the chemical nutes kill off the organisms in the soil that use the sugars in molasses. He went on to say molasses only works in organic gardening. Now I don't know really one way or the other, this is a good way to find out. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will pipe in to help us out. I believed it would add sugars and Cal/mag to the soil and couldn't hurt in small doses .
I get his point but no it doesn't kill them. He is thinking of osmotic shock but honestly. Unless over fed or the ph drops very low microbes can adapt to a pretty wide temp, ph and salinity.

Definitely organic has more microbes because that's what they feed on organics. So by adding molasses this helps attract more microbes to the plant making a healthier root zone.

Also some are more susceptible to temp, ph and salinity.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I get his point but no it doesn't kill them. He is thinking of osmotic shock but honestly. Unless over fed or the ph drops very low microbes can adapt to a pretty wide temp, ph and salinity.
I used it for a while, didn't notice any changes one way or the other. Stopped using it and same thing, I could see no change. So I stopped using it lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I used it for a while, didn't notice any changes one way or the other. Stopped using it and same thing, I could see no change. So I stopped using it lol
There is a reason for that.

With salt based you don't need the microbes to process the nutrients they are already available to the plant.

In organic no microbes... No food for the plant.

Every soil grow will have some but the amount and diversity will vary.

Microbes not only provide food but also compete so a good population of beneficial microbes help keep other pathogens away.

Say nitrogen for eg. If you have any ammonia based sources you need denitrifying bacteria to break it down or it can build up and burn the plants. So even if it's salts microbes still play a role. Just not to the extent of organics

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
It works fine with whatever nutes you use just make sure to add it after any Part A, Micro, Cal/mg. Basically add after the bloom nutes whatever and however you are mixing. This really isn't necessary but won't hurt and a good practice. Molasses has a ton of micros in it along with K and Mg.

BigCube

BigCube

From what I've gathered, molasses is just the cheap version of those bud candy products you can buy.

Most of them have flavor too, but they are mostly like 3 or 4 different types of sugars.

The plant itself actually makes it's own sugars. I guess the theory is the plant can take up the sugars directly, or make it's own easier. Something like that.

I am dubious, but admit I have no idea lol.
I do know that the plant does take up the flavor in those products, so I guess it works? Lol.

Here are the products I'm talking about:

https://growdaddycanada.com/product...ium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImvrI5uzG5QIVltJkCh2N2A3gEAQYASABEgIv3vD_BwE

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

From what I've gathered, molasses is just the cheap version of those bud candy products you can buy.

Most of them have flavor too, but they are mostly like 3 or 4 different types of sugars.

The plant itself actually makes it's own sugars. I guess the theory is the plant can take up the sugars directly, or make it's own easier. Something like that.

I do know that the plant does take up the flavor in those products, so I guess it works? Lol.

https://growdaddycanada.com/product...ium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImvrI5uzG5QIVltJkCh2N2A3gEAQYASABEgIv3vD_BwE

In hydro you can just literally ad the concentrated flavor extracts. The high end baking ones are apparently best. I cant explain it other than maybe passive uptake but it's something I might have to do some reading on.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Fk no man Fk no! wtf is with all this fruity stuff? Pot needs to smell like pot, not like you're in a kindergarten or country fair. Bubblegum,cotton candy, banana, pineapple? I mean come on, this is getting out of hand. Whats next coke cola, Pepsi 7-up? Sorry folks its not for me.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Fk no man Fk no! wtf is with all this fruity stuff? Pot needs to smell like pot, not like you're in a kindergarten or country fair. Bubblegum,cotton candy, banana, pineapple? I mean come on, this is getting out of hand. Whats next coke cola, Pepsi 7-up? Sorry folks its not for me.
So the results are that a tbs spoon of molasses per gallon, after you add micro? or after you add all nutes? and through entire grow or just through flowering?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What's next? Grape cocaine

BigCube

BigCube

Oh I'm with you man. Lol I'd never use that stuff. I was just pointing out the products they sell that do the molasses Job. You can get them unflavored too.

All I use is GH flora series, a bit of vitathrive aka aussie tonic and a bit of pk spike. I have calmag but almost never use it.

Does adding sugars actually benefit anything?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So the results are that a tbs spoon of molasses per gallon, after you add micro? or after you add all nutes? and through entire grow or just through flowering?
Never used it just know the science behind it. Plants also naturally feed the microbes during lights out. Thet release starches and such from the roots. This also attracts microbes that form a symbiotic relationship. I guess a microbial analysis of the soil with and without if one could find would give the best info but idk one exists.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh I'm with you man. Lol I'd never use that stuff. I was just pointing out the products they sell that do the molasses Job. You can get them unflavored too.

All I use is GH flora series, a bit of vitathrive aka aussie tonic and a bit of pk spike. I have calmag but almost never use it.

Does adding sugars actually benefit anything?
Feeding microbes. That's why it's used in almost every tea.

BigCube

BigCube

In hydro you can just literally ad the concentrated flavor extracts. The high end baking ones are apparently best. I cant explain it other than maybe passive uptake but it's something I might have to do some reading on.

I've heard that too. I dont know man.
Feeding microbes. That's why it's used in almost every tea.

But those products I pointed out are for use in hydro. They are full of sugars.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Never used it just know the science behind it. Plants also naturally feed the microbes during lights out. Thet release starches and such from the roots. This also attracts microbes that form a symbiotic relationship. I guess a microbial analysis of the soil with and without if one could find would give the best info but idk one exists.
You may have hit on something there! I go lights on 24 hrs in veg, never turning them off. Then I put them in the flower room ( I go from 200w t-8's to 1000w hps I keep them a good distance the first few nights but if " Plants also naturally feed the microbes during lights out " This may be the reason for my low soil ph. they're not picking up the nutes and the soil has too many? Yes? No? Maybe?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've heard that too. I dont know man.

But those products I pointed out are for use in hydro. They are full of sugars.
Just cause they say they are for hydro doesn't mean they should be. Ferts companies do anything for $$$. No way I hell am I putting sugars in my hydro system. I have plenty of experience with bacteria in water and your just asking for trouble doing that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You may have hit on something there! I go lights on 24 hrs in veg, never turning them off. Then I put them in the flower room ( I go from 200w t-8's to 1000w hps I keep them a good distance the first few nights but if " Plants also naturally feed the microbes during lights out " This may be the reason for my low soil ph. they're not picking up the nutes and the soil has too many? Yes? No? Maybe?
If they are organic. Salt based are in forms that are mostly available to the plants immediately. So it should be more likely just over fed or not enough nutes run through it to help flush old nutes out. That's why I feel it's important to water even in soil until you get some run off if using salt based nutes

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If they are organic. Salt based are in forms that are mostly available to the plants immediately. So it should be more likely just over fed or not enough nutes run through it to help flush old nutes out. That's why I feel it's important to water even in soil until you get some run off is using salt based nutes
When I water I water. When I feed I only go about 10% runoff but when I water I'll run 50% runoff, I put them on a table water,spin 90 then water spin 90 and so on until I know the soil is saturated, not just watered.I flood the system with water 100% then let drain completely until I put it back into the flower room.

Top Bottom