Mold? Fungus? First Outdoor Grow And Already Running Into Issues...

• Thread starter 5150THC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
5150THC

5150THC

I have some White Widow that I started from seed indoor, hardened off to outside and then planted outdoors about three weeks ago. Its been really warm here in SoCal, very sunny. Great growth, everything on track-very happy. Today I found Praying Mantises on two Plants and this white stuff that I guess is some sort of mildew on one of the leaves that was towards the bottom of the plant.
I know the praying mantises would not be there if there wasn't bugs-- but I did not see any. Hit it with Neem oil this am and will cross my fingers. But does anyone have any clue what this is? Only found it on this leaf and immediately removed it. Is it mildew or something more serious. It does not comes off easily when rubbed with my fingers....

Mold fungus first outdoor grow and already running into issues
OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Yeah that looks like PM to me dude powdery mildew it is a fungal disease that affects a lot of different plant species. There are also many different species of PM each one having limited host range. All species of PM are recognizable buy a white or grey powdery growth. Pm affects both indoors and out.

5150THC

5150THC

Yeah that looks like PM to me dude powdery mildew it is a fungal disease that affects a lot of different plant species. There are also many different species of PM each one having limited host range. All species of PM are recognizable buy a white or grey powdery growth. Pm affects both indoors and out.
Thanks for the confirmation buddy. I was afraid of that. Going to try that milk remedy I found on another thread before I go industrial......

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Yeah it works very well I like to use a 30% milk 70% water mixture. I tried the 10% milk 90% water but personally find 30% milk best and apply during lights on or mid day outside on a sunny day if u can. Cheers

5150THC

5150THC

Yeah it works very well I like to use a 30% milk 70% water mixture. I tried the 10% milk 90% water but personally find 30% milk best and apply during lights on or mid day outside on a sunny day if u can. Cheers
Thanks will try that!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for the confirmation buddy. I was afraid of that. Going to try that milk remedy I found on another thread before I go industrial......
There are a few remedies besides milk that aren't nuclear. Isopropyl alcohol 1:1 ratio (or even possibly as low as 1/2C/gal water?). JMS Stylet oil (or any horticultural oil). Water pH'd to at least 9, 10 is better, along with a sticker-spreader.

5150THC

5150THC

There are a few remedies besides milk that aren't nuclear. Isopropyl alcohol 1:1 ratio (or even possibly as low as 1/2C/gal water?). JMS Stylet oil (or any horticultural oil). Water pH'd to at least 9, 10 is better, along with a sticker-spreader.
Thanks. Never heard of the isopropyl fix but have read about JMS. Good to have options.... But what is a sticker-spreader? Never heard or read that term before. Something that just spreads the leaves apart? Is it just a description?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
JMS is a sticker-spreader, which is something added to the tank mix to prevent beading and running off leaf surfaces. JMS is also a mixing adjuvant, as well as being effective control of spider mites. Make absolutely certain it's well mixed or it WILL burn the living shit out of your plants.

Shamus

Shamus

IK it sounds horrible but I'd recommend going nuclear, this early to have PM isn't a good sign, and when I've had it outside it becomes a persistent problem and requires maintenance to keep it at bay rather then doing anything that will get rid of it indefinitely..
Hence the nuclear.
Eagle 20

5150THC

5150THC

IK it sounds horrible but I'd recommend going nuclear, this early to have PM isn't a good sign, and when I've had it outside it becomes a persistent problem and requires maintenance to keep it at bay rather then doing anything that will get rid of it indefinitely..
Hence the nuclear.
Eagle 20
I seriously was thinking the same ut will wait a bit and try the other routes. My thinking has been the same since last night when my fears were confirmed about the PM. I'm hoping the area I'm planted in isnt crawling with those spores. I will be keeping a close eye on my WW for some time- because now I'm paranoid about the damage this stuff can do. And after easing my girls from seed the last thing I want to do is lose them to this- or anything else I can prevent. My last couple of grows were inside and went fairly well but with electricity getting so expensive I decided to go au natural...... Thanks for everyone's help!i really do appreciate it

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

At first glance that looks to me like runny bird shit. The pattern seems to extend from one leaf finger to another like splatter. I've been fooled before by the same thing.

5150THC

5150THC

At first glance that looks to me like runny bird shit. The pattern seems to extend from one leaf finger to another like splatter. I've been fooled before by the same thing.
Interesting. But bird shit would come off with a finger rub and water. This did not. Spoke with a friend this am who is a biologist. They liked the isopropyl idea but only for spraying the surrounding soil not for a plant application. So I hit the garden today with that mix around the soil. Hopefully between that and the milk Maintence it's the last I see of this. Check out my garden pic

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interesting. But bird shit would come off with a finger rub and water. This did not. Spoke with a friend this am who is a biologist. They liked the isopropyl idea but only for spraying the surrounding soil not for a plant application. So I hit the garden today with that mix around the soil. Hopefully between that and the milk Maintence it's the last I see of this. Check out my garden pic
Why not for a plant application? It's something I do all the time with no harm resulting (to the plants--it harms the bugulars).

5150THC

5150THC

She felt that that risk of burning the plant was too high. It would also affect the PH? She is really into it after she saw the garden. Lady is in her 70's and said it reminds her of her college days lol. She now wants to help out the ladies just to be a part of the experience:) and said she would be discrete. Broke the first damn rule of growing---no one to know where the garden is.....
Anyways, treated the area like I spoke about and have been doing milk maintenance for the PM --no recurrence so far!! Then again- it was 97 degrees today! Not exactly PM conditions..... but a weather change is on the way again so will keep to it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
She felt that that risk of burning the plant was too high. It would also affect the PH?
She needs to actually try it before saying it can't work. Seriously. I don't really test pH other than sap, and I don't bother with that til they really get going, so I can't say how, or whether or not something that's going to evaporate as quickly as isopropyl will affect pH. But please believe me, this is something I do any time I think I see mites on my plants. Diluting 1:1 will absolutely eliminate any worry about that as well (and it reduces evaporation rate).
Anyways, treated the area like I spoke about and have been doing milk maintenance for the PM --no recurrence so far!! Then again- it was 97 degrees today! Not exactly PM conditions..... but a weather change is on the way again so will keep to it.
I've seen PM when the weather was well into the 90s, at RH levels of 30% and below. If only it would actually KILL the fucking bull thistle, I HATE that stuff!

5150THC

5150THC

She needs to actually try it before saying it can't work. Seriously. I don't really test pH other than sap, and I don't bother with that til they really get going, so I can't say how, or whether or not something that's going to evaporate as quickly as isopropyl will affect pH. But please believe me, this is something I do any time I think I see mites on my plants. Diluting 1:1 will absolutely eliminate any worry about that as well (and it reduces evaporation rate).

I've seen PM when the weather was well into the 90s, at RH levels of 30% and below. If only it would actually KILL the fucking bull thistle, I HATE that stuff!
Thanks. I saw how fast it evaporated when I sprayed the soil and was shocked. Really good point so I'll give it a shot especially withe added benefit of killing mites. Do you spray it in the am? Direct sun? Midday? Does it even matter?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It doesn't matter, but the hotter/drier it is, the faster it evaporates and you don't want it to evaporate too quickly. That's the problem with using iso for disinfection in the first place, according to one of my surgeons.

5150THC

5150THC

It doesn't matter, but the hotter/drier it is, the faster it evaporates and you don't want it to evaporate too quickly. That's the problem with using iso for disinfection in the first place, according to one of my surgeons.
its been awhile. So I have six planst that have survived a variety of problems since we last spoke. Today discovered spider mites a a couple catepillras!! catepillars were easy to get rid of, and hit thplants with neem Oil tonight and was thinkabout using the rbbing alcohol tomorow and going back and forth a few days to make sure I take out the eggs that Im sure are there. In a one gallon sprayer, what would be your mix of water to rubbing alcohol? 20% rubbing alcohol?Thanks!!

Top Bottom