Mold Prevention Remedies?

• Thread starter PHEN
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PHEN

PHEN

Does anyone have any organic mold prevention remedies they can suggest? I've heard a mixture of lemon juice/apple cider vinegar/soap work well, I also read that skim milk was good for powdery mildew. Peace and thanks for the help.

M

miser66

neem or ive even had some success with very alkaline water. get ur environment right first and foremost is the best prevention.

G

GreenSociety

Miser66 is right also try to have a wide range of beneficial innocoulants that will serve as your plants source of immunity. Since you said you prefer an organic solution I assume you are growing organically if you are organics depend on a wide range beneficial life. Another product that works that is natural is Ed Rosanthal Powdery mildew solution. Just be careful it can be burn if you use to much. Hope this helps

P

pvtpilot

The biggest and best is Air Circulation. Poor air circulation and humidity above 55% can get mold growing quick.
If you can take your plants out of the room, wipe the walls and floors down with a strong solution of bleach and water.

The only problem using this method is plants cannot be put back in the room for about 12 hours.

What is your humidity @?

R

Rolln J

vaporize sulfur every 7-9 days in veg and 1st 19 days of flower...

its organic and only drawback is the smell for a couple hours.

T

the Rock

vaporize sulfur every 7-9 days in veg and 1st 19 days of flower...

its organic and only drawback is the smell for a couple hours.

interesting RJ is this for mold on buds(budrot) or for PM or both

R

Rolln J

I use it for pm preventive - I dont burn after the plants start to form bud sites and have read on other forums that burring sulfur later in bloom severely affects taste.

good ventilation and low humidity is the only thing I know to prevent bud rot...

K

kushpheen

You can use serenade its OMRI listed, plus you can use it up til harvest with no harmful side effects.

yezmar420

yezmar420

you need to eliminate the conditions that allow mold...throwing stuff on top of it doesn't get to the root of the problem...plus I wouldn't want to smoke any buds that have residue on them...

figure out how to increase the circulation first...the air in my area is filtered with an A/C filter and is constantly being exchanged and I've never had a problem with mold or anything like that...it will make your life a whole lot easier...one less issue you have to address.

R

R. Face

No one has mentioned this, but ive used it for 2 years and havent seen this dreaded shit..you just have to be diligent about using it.

It is Dutch Masters Zone and Penetrator. You use it 10ml of Zone a gallon, and 60ml or what the bottle reccomends a gallon. It used to be a bright yellow color, but now the bottles changed, so the mix is pink. Shake it all up. I use water thats a PH of like 7.8, but i dont think it matters.

You spray it every time you water. I only use it in veg, and 1-2 weeks into flower, by then it doesnt come back.

Or if in a system where you cant move plants, then spray on and under neath the whole plant every 3-4 days in the beginning, and then as the months go on, ill use it every 7-10 days. I spray at night and turn the fan/vents off or anything that blows air onto the plants.

Let them naturally dry, and with this method I have been so happy to get this shit out of here..try it out guys, i swear it works, as well as decreasing your humidity and upping the fans and air movement in the room of course.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Don't use bleach and water as a dilution to clean, use only bleach..Bleach kills mold and water feeds it so you kind of shoot yourself in the foot when you mix the two..it still works but no where near as effective as bleach alone.

Organicide works great for pm

Tex

Tex

M

matkins1234

Vaporized Sulfur, or Copper Sulfate, coupled with decreased humidity and increased ventiliation.

If it's really bad I'd buy an organic sulfur fungicidal solution to apply directly to the infected leaves.

J

J.a.h.

In thirty fkn years I never had powdery mildew. This year i picked some up outside and then brought it home.
Shoot me please. It's more humane.
Neem oil keeps it in check as does soda water but temp. humid and shading or lack of light all play a part.Bottom line is it's a battle.

C

CAPO

Happy New Year PHEN!
All this is good advice but I felt the need to add my 2 cents.
Do Not use Serenade on plants with formed flowers; this can be used for tough skinned veggies up to harvest. It has a strong smell of vinegar and will FRY bud hairs.
Also, sulphur sprays will burn small plants; it is very effective on established plants,ie Safer brand spray. Do not use sulpher on plants with flowers(stinks).

If you discover PM in your garden don't freak out you can keep it under control. PM spores are an airborn midew. Kill the fans, remove lower growth and severely affected leaves. if you can remove each plant from the garden and spray, I like to use Green Cure it is basically potassium bicarbonate(baking soda). This raises the ph on leaves so infection ceases to grow. Let plants dry then back under lights. Then everyday after, mix a new batch of green cure and go through garden lookin for any little white circles and spray these. Look for any affected buds at harvest and discard. With some diligence you can save most of a crop.
After harvest clean,clean, clean. Keep your new environment below 50% humidity with good and constant ventilation. Keep the garden well lit(non dark spaces). Consider a HEPA pre-filter. Keep the air in your entry space clean via air cleaner or 3M furnace filter with fan left on. Don't forget to be clean when entering Garden especially in the fall.
Mold and Mildew are all around us all the time

J

Jack Griffin

Does anyone have any organic mold prevention remedies they can suggest? I've heard a mixture of lemon juice/apple cider vinegar/soap work well, I also read that skim milk was good for powdery mildew. Peace and thanks for the help.

I have been fighting Mildew for 2 years and here is what works:

LOTS of air circulation

Lots of room between plants; do NOT cram them together!

A mixture of milk and water works because the milk alters the pH of the plants' leaves; mildew does NOT like a base surface & won't grow on it.

To reduce moisture invest in a dehumidifier. Winter is the best time to buy one, especially at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other second-hand re-sale shops.

As far as chemicals go, i have tried EVERYTHING, period!
The only product that works as a spray-on solution is
MilStop, AKA Potassium Bicarbonate (which is NOT Baking Soda, BTW).
I have been very pleased with the results.

The final solution is buying a Sulpher Vaporizer.

Hope this helped 'ya

R

Rolln J

I have been fighting Mildew for 2 years and here is what works:

LOTS of air circulation

Lots of room between plants; do NOT cram them together!

A mixture of milk and water works because the milk alters the pH of the plants' leaves; mildew does NOT like a base surface & won't grow on it.

To reduce moisture invest in a dehumidifier. Winter is the best time to buy one, especially at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other second-hand re-sale shops.

As far as chemicals go, i have tried EVERYTHING, period!
The only product that works as a spray-on solution is
MilStop, AKA Potassium Bicarbonate (which is NOT Baking Soda, BTW).
I have been very pleased with the results.

The final solution is buying a Sulpher Vaporizer.

Hope this helped 'ya

yup milstop / potassium bicarb aka green cure - milstop is the commercial version of green cure - only difference is milstop is way more economical but you have to buy a lifetime supply and you may need some type of ag permit in some states to get milstop...

I use a vaporizer weekly up till about day 20 of bloom.

C

CAPO

Whatup J. Happy New Year!

Jack- well thanks for pointing out that baking soda is not potassium bicarbonate(KHCO3) it is actually sodium bicarbonate(NaHCO3). folks use the potassium bicarbonate as a substitute for baking soda in their salt free diet. It is well known that people use baking soda at 1-2 teaspoons a gallon to control PM. the potassium bicarbonate is just alittle safer for plants.
CLARIFIED?

Top Bottom