Moldy Pot

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Rosin press the moldy stuff. Then it is smokable .
Hair straightener method , cheap and easy and well salvage some bud.
But If it has outright mold, toss it into a jar of everclear. And extract that thc for salves.
But pls don’t smoke moldy weed. Bad for the ol lungs and I’ve seen friends end up on respiratory failure due to repeated bad weed in the days of the prohibition here in Cali. Know your source/ trust your source but grow your own to be absolutely sure!! ;)

Madmax

Madmax

Last week I had to throw out 4 mason jars I misplaced. They didn’t get burped (cause I was stoned forgot I put them there). Turned moldy brown and the smell was rank. I was bummed those jars were straight up fire when I lost them.:crying2:
I would of given that to someone i didnt like...here get that into ya cobber..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Rosin press the moldy stuff. Then it is smokable .
Hair straightener method , cheap and easy and well salvage some bud.
But If it has outright mold, toss it into a jar of everclear. And extract that thc for salves.
But pls don’t smoke moldy weed. Bad for the ol lungs and I’ve seen friends end up on respiratory failure due to repeated bad weed in the days of the prohibition here in Cali. Know your source/ trust your source but grow your own to be absolutely sure!! ;)

That's foul man. I'd never let that funky sh*t near my press and b*tch slap anyone who tried. (In my press. I give not a f^ck what they do with their own equipment. I ain't smokin their rosin or any other weed they have ever again if I found out they did.)

greencraft

greencraft

I Stay away from that moldy bud , I am curious what happens to the mold when you press it ?
Do the mold spores vaporize ? I know some that run their outdoor thru a closed loop system and
claim it filters out the mold but I ain't smokin it .

Erick31876

Erick31876

Wow. I get that our flowers are valuable and time consuming to grow but please do not smoke or ingest mold. It’s disgusting, unhealthy and has even put mrs. mmg in the hospital just from being in the basement of a building we used to be in.

Acute allergies can affect anyone and mold is a really bad one if it gets you.
I agree with you 100%. Don't take any chances with mold at all. I had it in my basement and it made my family very sick. I hope your wife is ok now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree with you 100%. Don't take any chances with mold at all. I had it in my basement and it made my family very sick. I hope your wife is ok now.

Thanks. She’s fine. It was about 6 years ago.

I have an open basement in my house now and we live in a lake subdivision. I run 2 70 pint dehumidifiers down there to keep the house and grow below 60% relative humidity.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my earlier post I suggested that slightly moldy/musty buds might be OK for edibles and if very slightly smelly, it might be OK to smoke. There was a lot of varying opinions, most suggesting I should just smoke cyanide instead as the mold would surely kill you, or destroy your lungs at the very least. ANY outdoor buds are going to have mold/mildew on them to some degree. Most indoor grows also will, although usually to a much lower degree. The commercial smoke of the past ALWAYS has a little mold in it, just from the growing and transporting process. The difference is the degree of mold. Medical grade buds should be considered mold free, since they are being used for medical reasons. If you have immune issues or lung problems, then you need to consume stuff very carefully if you are medically fragile. The vast majority of buds aren't consumed for medical purposes although nobody will admit that their buds haven;t been certified as medically mold spore free. California has led the way in certification, but loopholes still abound. Please excuse the meandering post..
Anyhow, what I'm saying is that truly mold free buds is a rarity and if you have smoked commercial buds, you have smoked mold spores. People aren't dropping despite smoking moldy pot for decades. The difference seems to be the degree of moldiness. When you have absolutely nothing left, all your pipes and implements are cleaned and you have nothing left at all, slightly musty buds can be your friend. Been there, done that.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Allergies can be a funny thing. You can run through a field of poison ivy 100 times. Swear you are not allergic to it. Then on that 101th time you come into contact with it you get a full breakout rash.

Basically you used up your immunity.

Can be the same with mold. And mold allergies can be deadly.

I had close contact with pretty large east coast growers throughout the 80’s and 90’s and their stuff had mold sometimes. They complained of humidity problems and I really dont even know if they ever dealt with it.

Illegal pot was easy to sell in most forms. And the money to be made was much higher then so plenty of crime and greed.

I never noticed I was sick because of smoking moldy pot. We used to joke it would be like acid.

But when I got to Michigan and smoked the street weed (and both caregivers I tried) I started to cough up black stuff.

I figured out it might be the shitty weed. West Michigan had some of the worst pot I ever saw 8 years ago. High end quality was not available to me for the first time.

When I started growing and only smoking my homegrown coughing up the black stuff stopped.

I put a microscope to weed people bring anymore too. A friend of my wife was raving about some sticky outdoor last year. Under the scope it was black and yucky.

I now have an allergy to most mold now like mrs. mmg. Michigan is tough with mold and mildew.

Madbud

Madbud

Probably the biggest damage is done sniffing the baggie. I read the canadians irradiate bud with gamma rays which would be similar to a microwave oven. Also read baking at 300° kills spores. “Food” for thought

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

At least please don’t share moldy or previously moldy bud with others.

Obviously this thread is proving the money and greed thing. And maybe addiction.

People get sick.

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

I went to culinary school and I can tell you for a fact. Mold and Mildew is not healthy to consume in any manor. Hold your standards close to the standards a high class restaurant or a medical facility. If you don't care about what you're putting in your body then by all means go ahead and smoke mold, but remember that this is a spore that thrives in three conditions. Humidity, heat, and darkness.
Sounds a hell of a lot like your lungs to me. There's some food for thought.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Straight up it’s bad don’t smoke it eat it throw it away preferably burn it.

You’ve probably encountered mold at some point in your life. Old strawberries in your refrigerator, the bread heels in your pantry, your college bathroom that you routinely cleaned only after letters from the health department. There’s no doubt about it – mold is all around us. Under good circumstances, mold is little more than an inconvenience or a waste of food. But when it comes to smoking, moldy weed can be dangerous.

What Mold Looks Like

moldybud_8406-1024x755.jpg
Save
You can’t always tell you have moldy weed without the help of a black light or a lens, but here are some tips to help you tell if your weed is moldy:

• Dark spots or spores
  • White, grey, yellow, or brown fuzz
  • White, grey, or black web-like material.
  • Musty, urine or sweat-like smell
  • Discolored roots
Why Mold is Bad
Mold isn’t exactly a houseguest you invite over with promises of home cooked meals and superfast Wi-Fi. While some molds are harmless, other types are dangerous. If left alone in a residence, it’s possible for the more troublesome types to cause a respiratory response in those who live there. Symptoms include sneezing, coughing, and sore throat that persists even after a tumbler of Nyquil.

Moldy weed is also dangerous for pot smokers.

Sometimes, people mistake rotten weed for weed that’s laced with other drugs, such as opium

They may experience headaches, vomiting, trouble breathing, diarrhea, and heart palpitations. Pneumonia is also a possibility.

The Causes of Mold
The number one thing conducive to moldy weed is moisture: this is why you’re more likely to find it in your shower than in your wine cellar. A lack of air circulation also helps it thrive, as spores multiply under tight conditions. In grow rooms, fans mitigate this type of welcoming environment, leaving mold less likely to move in and get comfortable. But that doesn’t make your plants immune entirely.

Temperature is important too, as mold can’t flourish in cold conditions (under 40 degrees) or those that are extremely hot (over 100 degrees)

Pot shops in dry climates are typically less affected than those located in areas wet and humid: you might be Sleepless in Seattle because you’ve been up all night drying off your herb.
shutterstock_538934557.jpg

Like us, mold needs food and oxygen in order to survive. It decomposes things such as gypsum board and oak and feeds on those nutrients. While it can’t grow on inorganic material – concrete, for example – it feeds on the dirt and dust concrete harbors. And, of course, it feeds on your marijuana plants. Belly up to the bar, weed is among its favorite meals.

How to Keep Mold Away from Your Plants
The best way to keep mold away from your plants is to understand why it happens in the first place. Is the moisture too high during the drying process? Do you use fruit peels to add flavor to your buds, inadvertently introducing them to fungus? Do you store wet plants in airtight containers?

One way to avoid mold is to purchase plants with an increased resistance. Some of the hardiest strains include satori, pineapple express, hashberry, and cannatonic.

Still, as many of us know, genetics aren’t the end all be all. Care, environment, and sheer luck – for humans and plants – are other pieces of the puzzle.

Well-spread-out-marijuana-plants-1.jpg
A few recommendations on how to avoid mold include buying strains suitable for your region (for outdoor growth, climate is most important), learning the details of the strain (both minor and major), refraining from planting strains that are risky (mold is very contagious), experimenting with new strains in small quantities, and saving cuttings to use as backups for future mother plants (just in case).

You should also grow in an area where your plants will feel a breeze through their leaves, but not so much that they become overwhelmed by wind. Rain is another concern: protect your pot from pours with an overhead tarp (not one placed directly on top of the flowers). If you live an area where dew is common each morning, give your plants a good shake.

When Mold Happens
Cannabis infected mold should be disposed of immediately, not only for human health but also to stop it from spreading to nearby plants. Some people have a harder time than others parting with their buds, mold be damned. But, particularly for those growing commercially, it’s not worth the risk. Plus, smoking moldy weed is sort of akin to Seinfeld’s George Costanza pulling that éclair out of the trash when he thinks no one is looking. Take a lesson from him in regards to fungus-filled hemp: someone’s always bound to notice.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Nope nope nope. I'm sure I can say I'm not the only one here who probably doesn't even smoke outdoor unless its our own anymore because of this very reason.
I wont touch outdoor grown bud, even if I grew it...

Ina

Ina

Sometimes you can wash the buds in H2O2 peroxide...…..And after that dry them really well and don't give them to other people just in case. you can use them for cooking,smoking and everything when they are once washed and good dried after that.I usually put the washed buds in alcohol to be sure for tincture or oil and the mold cant exist and do harm after these procedures.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
In Colorado I don’t think I have ever seen outdoor weed that wasn’t attacked by some kind of mold.:(

Madmax

Madmax

In my state ive only ever had mold once in 30 years of growing..
i guess im i a great climate for growing weed..

Latest posts

Top Bottom