Most Basic Questions

• Thread starter LoneWeedMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

I want to start a thread for people like me who know very little, but unlike me, may be embarrassed to ask. I will ask the most basic questions that may seem stupid to some, but please forgive my learning challenges for now, mmm-Kay? So please, someone, anyone, everyone feel free to answer. Also, please ask any basic questions you have.

My first question is: When I read flowering time 8 weeks, what do they specifically mean. Is it 8 weeks in the flowering stage in addition to the veg stage, or is it, plant the seed and in 8 weeks your flowers are ready to harvest?

L

leafmold

Flowering time is length Flowering. So indoor 8 weeks from the time a night or dark cycle is initiated. Outdoor flower time not as straight forward. Usually rated as to when a plant can be expected ripe, ie end of September. There are usually more variables outdoor compared to indoor as to how long a variety will take to finish fliwering cycle.I hope this helps.

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

Flowering time is length Flowering. So indoor 8 weeks from the time a night or dark cycle is initiated. Outdoor flower time not as straight forward. Usually rated as to when a plant can be expected ripe, ie end of September. There are usually more variables outdoor compared to indoor as to how long a variety will take to finish fliwering cycle.I hope this helps.

Yes that helps, so then... my obvious next question is how long from sprout to end of veg, beginning of flowering?? :)
I'm sure that varies a lot.

L

leafmold

It depends on alot really. What size plants u want by harvest. How fast they grow. How much stretch during early flower. There is no one awnser. From seed IMO a minimum of 6 weeks for my prefrence. That will usually get u a 2.5 to 4 foot plant. From clone usually 4 wks veg for myself. Then if your training topping lsting usually longer. I would say the industry standard as far as seed companys and fertilizer schedules is a 4 wk veg. It really depends in what your goal is and genetic performance.

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

When does a Marijuana plant start to smell like a Marijuana plant. Does that start with flowering or before?

L

leafmold

Depends on the strain. Usually as the first coulple sets of true leaves appear. During vegetative growth it has a distinct smell that varies greatly. During flower is when they put of those smells associated with marijuana. Skunky spicey fruity poopy

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

Beautifully described.

My last lot really started to smell just before I flipped them. Flowering is when the funky smells really get going. Just before cropping its quite intense! In a good way :D

High, Thanks for responding. What does it mean to flip themo_O?

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

Thank for the answers. You are helping me a lot.
New Question: At what point do I switch from 24/7 lighting to 18/6?

L

leafmold

Whenever you want. Typically one would choose either or. Both light schedules are for vegetative growth. Im guessing most run 24/7 for veg. 12/12 is the standard Flowering schedule.

soserthc1

soserthc1

there are no stupid questions we all need to learn at some point
1) germ seed - till sprout come out
2) place in medium of your choice
3) veg usually 4-6 weeks is avg thou some go different route - learn that later and during veg discover sex - another topic you will need to learn
4) some veg under 24 lights and some veg 18 on and 6 off , most are in this light schedule
5) flip to 12/12 will induce flowering - make sure its total darkness no light leaks at all or this will hermie your plant - another topic
6) strains from this point avg 8 weeks - to 10 weeks indica/hybrid , sativa can be much longer but avg 12-14 weeks
so from start to finish your looking at 12-14 weeks for a harvest depending on veg and flower

hope this helps
peace SoSerThc1 never interrupt your dark cycle during flower unless a emergency then use a green light if you must enter as green light don't harm there sleep....

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

I took these pics last night, day 4. I wasn't planning to start growing quite yet, but I found this seed in my stash and gave it a try. I don't / wont have a grow room set up for a few weeks still. This plant may not make it all the way, due to financial constraints, and the stink that the rest of the family don't like
3P-s7W4sNNt9Q1rdO2h_QCF9Vx4SnY7_pMDExCKYdlfEiATgnkO-6J80v4kFBErz-wjeJkCXn7-AKvIQ4KbD6ytLcGcyCw-gSImSmWZZ_188bsZC6XxKYthw
. Not to mention I'm using compost dirt from my backyard, and I only have Miracle Grow for feed. If this plant does make it, it will be a miracle :hilarious: . Oh, well. I hope I can get a grow tent set up in time. Planning to get a Gorilla Grow tent.

I only have a 10 yr. old 250 Watt shop light I'm using now. Will this little amount of light stunt growth? I can put it outside when it's not rainy, but this is the Pacific Northwest, and we're just heading into the wet season. Is outside light on an over cast day still better than the 250 Watt?

Any and all comments WELCOME.
D22
D21

urbanfog

urbanfog

Shoot, I think being you can control the indoor environment a whole lot easier, Id rock that 250 ( as long as its a hps or MH) :) Shoot I only veg with a 330 CMH. You may want to also "get their toes in the water easy ie: a little distance between the 250 and the tops of the babies, or place in shady portion of grow area. Dont go from a 18watt cfl to full on 250Watt HPS all at once basically, or make sure plenty of space and airflow.

Good luck

drewski85

drewski85

I took these pics last night, day 4. I wasn't planning to start growing quite yet, but I found this seed in my stash and gave it a try. I don't / wont have a grow room set up for a few weeks still. This plant may not make it all the way, due to financial constraints, and the stink that the rest of the family don't like
3P-s7W4sNNt9Q1rdO2h_QCF9Vx4SnY7_pMDExCKYdlfEiATgnkO-6J80v4kFBErz-wjeJkCXn7-AKvIQ4KbD6ytLcGcyCw-gSImSmWZZ_188bsZC6XxKYthw
. Oh, well. I hope I can get a grow tent set up in time. Planning to get a Gorilla Grow tent.

I only have a 10 yr. old 250 Watt shop light I'm using now. Will this little amount of light stunt growth? I can put it outside when it's not rainy, but this is the Pacific Northwest, and we're just heading into the wet season. Is outside light on an over cast day still better than the 250 Watt?

Any and all comments WELCOME.
View attachment 339457 View attachment 339456

you wont be able to get away with putting your plants outside for too long,due to the days shortening.I saw u posted finances are a prob.you can invest in a floro light.they are cheap,wont put out much heat,and you can put your plants very close to the lights. floro's do have their downsides though,you wont get big,dense buds as compared to a traditional h.i.d light(ex. high pressure sodium or metal halide)a compact or t5 florescent light would keep any seedlings and/or cuttings happy until you can get something else.what kind of light is your shop light?don't use halogen or indesacant lights as they are inefficient.

drewski85

drewski85

Thank for the answers. You are helping me a lot.
New Question: At what point do I switch from 24/7 lighting to 18/6?

alot of people veg their plants according to their room/closet space.some people veg their plants for 3-4 weeks and some flower right after their clones establish healthy roots.Flowering times are generally 12/12 but some ppl use a slightly different schedule when growing sativas (like 11/13),so it's important to take into consideration what strain you are growing,how much space you have,and if you have legal restraints on your plant numbers.good luck

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

Shoot, I think being you can control the indoor environment a whole lot easier, Id rock that 250 ( as long as its a hps or MH) :) Shoot I only veg with a 330 CMH. You may want to also "get their toes in the water easy ie: a little distance between the 250 and the tops of the babies, or place in shady portion of grow area. Dont go from a 18watt cfl to full on 250Watt HPS all at once basically, or make sure plenty of space and airflow.

Good luck

Thanks man, I just checked, and it is a MH light and I keep it about 1 ft below the light. It did get 2 days in sunlight. I heard from 1 expert grower to have a 50/50 mix of HPS & MH, I hope to have that by flower time. Can you stretch the veg time by a couple of weeks, or is that bad?

drewski85

drewski85

more veg will mean more herb:).i think you would be good if you kept them under that mh.a 50/50 mh/hps spectrum is good but isn't necessary, although, it would be good to have

urbanfog

urbanfog

Yu can veg forever if you want :D Prune/LST/SCROG for maximum "bushiness" Bigger roots + more bud sites = more goodies is my train of thinking. Personally I have heard good things about MH all the way thru flower, never done it myself. I think for now as you get your area dialed in ( airflow, humidity heat etc) a MH will be your best bet. And in the mean time, learn to train and "read" your plants, they will tell you what they like and dont like.....by then, youll be ready to flip :)

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

alot of people veg their plants according to their room/closet space.some people veg their plants for 3-4 weeks and some flower right after their clones establish healthy roots.Flowering times are generally 12/12 but some ppl use a slightly different schedule when growing sativas (like 11/13),so it's important to take into consideration what strain you are growing,how much space you have,and if you have legal restraints on your plant numbers.good luck

Thanks so much! As far as what strain I have??? Not really sure. I know it is either Grape Ape, Lemon Kush or Agent Orange. After doing a little research, I found that both Agent Orange and Lemon Kush have regular seeds. I'm so not sure. I had all 3 strains ground up together for a nice vaping boquete. Very Fruity.

LoneWeedMan

LoneWeedMan

Yu can veg forever if you want :D Prune/LST/SCROG for maximum "bushiness" Bigger roots + more bud sites = more goodies is my train of thinking. Personally I have heard good things about MH all the way thru flower, never done it myself. I think for now as you get your area dialed in ( airflow, humidity heat etc) a MH will be your best bet. And in the mean time, learn to train and "read" your plants, they will tell you what they like and dont like.....by then, youll be ready to flip :)

I'm definately going to scrog! I want to DWC, but I don't want to screw things up transferring from dirt to DWC.

Top Bottom