Most People Think They Grow Organic Indoors

• Thread starter Jbud7420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Eviromentally friendly and organic are two different things, though.

I would have to agree with WalterWF. The thing seems to be the way the post was framed. Sustainability with indoor grows most certainly don't seem to fit the organic scene due to as walter stated the sheer amount of carbon footprint and waste associated with indoor grows. I actually feel guilty at times with the amount of electricity I am sucking up going indoors. Feel even worse when I get my utility bill. :eek:
True organic soil can be developed inside, it does just as the OP stated takes time. But most folks I know don't take the time to go that route and seem to throw out their soil with each run and start over again. Then lets look at all of the drain to waste setups and the list goes on and on right down to plastic bottles that the nutes come in.

So can you have true organic soil indoors?, I say YES. But to me going true organic is a state of mind and action to help save Mother Earth and produce more nutritious veggies and such while also following a more sustainable way of living and growing. Indoor grows for the most part don't hit that ideal.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've gone over to the dark side. I do this pretty much all by myself, and this hill we live on takes a toll. I'm medical for a reason (a few, but hey, who's counting?) and now that I've been able to use the TrimPal, I'm not going back if I can ever help it.

Wanna know something interesting? The dispos I took the machine-trimmed stuff to never questioned it. I really expected to be questioned, HARD, about hand vs machine trimmed.

Also, at least with the TrimPal that I got to use, the RH of the bud you're trimming plays a very large role in A) how quickly it's trimmed and B) the appearance of the end product. Do it with higher humidity and you won't get all the trichomes knocked off.
At the federal level, there can't be a legal definition for organic cannabis, can there? Or is it just the rules to Organic Farming?
Correct, and to the best of my knowledge, because all organic certifiers must be in compliance with NOP standards, no state can certify cannabis as organic. However, that said, there are organizations that are doing essentially that--applying best organic practices to cannabis cultivation methods. However, legally speaking, there are some problems presented if/when a grower may need to treat or fertilize, if they're using anything that's reportable then I'm not sure how that plays, legally speaking.
What state are you in? (if you don't mind) If you guys can grow & have the state come in & give you a stamp (or whatever process) I would be curious what that document looks like. It's such a new field (npi) I'm curious where they started...

Consider me schooled.

Either way, props to the people who do it, it's an unbelievable amount of work, & I already do half the process anyway with the regular garden.
I'm in California. I looked into getting my cannabis cultivation (and my veggie gardens) certified, and straight up, it's EXPENSIVE. I was looking at about $2K just to get the process started. And that comes AFTER I register with the state (for the legal vegetable cultivation stuff, the state won't even let you register as an organic producer of cannabis. Possibly hemp, but I'm not sure about that).

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I would have to agree with WalterWF. The thing seems to be the way the post was framed. Sustainability with indoor grows most certainly don't seem to fit the organic scene due to as walter stated the sheer amount of carbon footprint and waste associated with indoor grows. I actually feel guilty at times with the amount of electricity I am sucking up going indoors. Feel even worse when I get my utility bill. :eek:
True organic soil can be developed inside, it does just as the OP stated takes time. But most folks I know don't take the time to go that route and seem to throw out their soil with each run and start over again. Then lets look at all of the drain to waste setups and the list goes on and on right down to plastic bottles that the nutes come in.

So can you have true organic soil indoors?, I say YES. But to me going true organic is a state of mind and action to help save Mother Earth and produce more nutritious veggies and such while also following a more sustainable way of living and growing. Indoor grows for the most part don't hit that ideal.

Can i compost used soil??

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

I just got here, has anyone asked about the sun aspect? HpS= not organic....
Just saying ;^}

I'll be back after reading from the beginning...peace and contraversal grease

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Yes sir I do it all the time. I use it to amend to my ROLS............ I always recycle my soil.

Thank you.. I have one of those tumbling composters and i usually just toss my used dirt outside. Glad to know i can repurpose it! Phew. Saved me a bundle homie : )

Edit to add: sorry your ROLS?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I just got here, has anyone asked about the sun aspect? HpS= not organic....
Just saying ;^}

I'll be back after reading from the beginning...peace and contraversal grease
Truth be known, I know there are certain minimum guidlines listed by OMRI to be certed organic. You got me to thinkn, if we wanted to take the term organic to the 9th degree any indoor grows using lots of juice/elect and the other items we need really isnt very sustainable. I am all on board for a more sustainable planet but I dont have anywhere to do my craft outside and I think that really sux, cause if I was able, all my meds would be grown outdoors. :D Hopefully some day the Creator will position me with a few acres....... Man can only hope right? :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Truth be known, I know there are certain minimum guidlines listed by OMRI to be certed organic. You got me to thinkn, if we wanted to take the term organic to the 9th degree any indoor grows using lots of juice/elect and the other items we need really isnt very sustainable. I am all on board for a more sustainable planet but I dont have anywhere to do my craft outside and I think that really sux, cause if I was able, all my meds would be grown outdoors. :D Hopefully some day the Creator will position me with a few acres....... Man can only hope right? :)
I've posted this before, but I'll have to post it again. OMRI is not a certifying agency. All they are is a list compiler. Any one or any thing that's been certified organic will be listed by OMRI as having been certified, but the certification itself is done by another agency, and in California that only happens after the entity has first registered with the state. (This is why buying organic is so expensive, because the conventional producers, while they do have to report use, don't have to be certified to do it, they just jump in and go. Organic certification is an annual process that costs at every turn.)

Any entity that is certified organic must meet the minimum NOP (National Organic Program) guidelines, and each state may have additional guidelines beyond that.

Blaze

Blaze

this thread is funny
I grow organic and it's not a lot of work.
it's called kiss

Yup! Which makes me wonder - those you saying that organic indoor is more work, why is this? I've never done a large scale indoor for production, I just maintain an indoor space for mother plants, clones and breeding and do my flowering outside or in my greenhouse, so maybe I am missing something here.

At least with greenhouse and outdoor production, I find organic methods to be much simpler once you get the hang of it. One of the big advantages I have found to organics, aside from the environmental concerns, is that it saves a lot of time and money when properly implemented. No having to constantly till the soil, no having to buy new soil ever year to refill your pots, no having to constantly be applying soil drenches, no expensive liquid nutrients, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom