MPB water level

• Thread starter chrometrichs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I'm a huge fan of simple solutions and today I came up with one for my water level problem. I only needed to raise my pot about 1-1.5 inches so I took some of my extra 1" flexible corrugated tubing I had used for my drains, made a circle and slipped it under the net pot and walla, perfect water level.
:fixed:

Thanks again everyone for your ideas and inspiration.

L

Lost

Did you cut the bottom out of the bucket its resting in? If your using a netpot, you can just put the netpot in with only the rim of the bucket. More water flow that way.

Pics?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I don't use the bucket collar, I tried and it raised my net pot just out of the water. My net pots have a large lip that supports the pot. Now my net pots just sit upon this improvised tubing collar. I'll get some pics up later to illustrate, thanks again for your help.

L

Lost

Ahh, btw Lowes 5 gallon buckets have a much lower lip than the Hope Depot ones..

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Ok heres a couple pics of how I raised my net pots with the 1" flexible tubing. Also pictured is the drip ring made from drip emitter tubing.

SL380917
SL380918
L

Lost

Interesting, I like it. Is the plant going to get soo heavy it pushed the hose out?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I don't think so, even though that hose is super flexible, its quite rigid when it comes to keeping its diameter, its nearly impossible to squeeze or pinch like vinyl tubing. Its by far the best tubing I've ever used, just destroys vinyl and poly.

M

mrdizzle

nice, so you just poke holes in the tubing and little drips come out instead of a stream?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

no...they actually make that tubing, which has the emitters built in. Its called drip emitter tubing and it can be found at your local landscape supply store ;). If you zoom in on the 2nd pic, you can see the little emitters. Poking holes in tubing wouldn't properly regulate the flow like this tubing does.

M

mrdizzle

cool shit thanks for the pic , you gave me a kiss, now lets see those ladies

M

MedicalINFO

So after much deliberation, taking into account all the great advice and weighing the amount of work involved in creating a proper solution, I tested out a few solutions. First off, I cut new holes in 1 tub about 2" lower. This created an ideal water level but the new drains were lower than my 4" drain pipe, which meant I would have to raise all my tubs about 4" in a room where height will be a concern. Also I wasn't in the mood to cut/file 21 new holes and create new bases. So next I tried the Lost method (TM) lol, I cut a 5 gallon bucket collar, placed into upon the lid (the hole is too small to slide the bucket in yet!) and slid the 10" net pot in. This raised the entire net pot out of the water, which is not ideal, but is definitely on the right track.
The temporary but somewhat invasive solution I came up with was to raise the rockwool cube as high in the net pot as possible. With these plants being 3 weeks into veg they had produced a decent amount of roots. To make this process as gentle as possible, I submerged the root zone in a 5 gallon bucket and began pulling up the plant while shaking it, allowing the hydroton to resettle underneath the rockwool cube. This put the maximum amount of space between my cube and the water level. Today I'm on the hunt to find an improvised alternative collar.

My advice to anyone setting up their mpb, cut only 1 bucket first and test the water level before cutting the rest of your tubs. Or just use the lost method (patent pending)

SETTING UP MPB WITH 7'1" CEILINGS,

CHROME TRICHS, HOw high are your cielings?
How high to the base of your plant?
how high is your 4" return?

Thanks

M

MedicalINFO

nice, It's lookn' like the high end of my room " least amount of vertical space" will be 5' 4" plant .. I think thats doable? any input on low ceilings?

thanks

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I would get the lowest profile reservoir possible or mount your res below the room if possible, the less you have to raise your plants the better.

M

mrdizzle

i think its just bad luck. because we are running so few plants, there is a higher chance of getting a runt. I have 2 out of my 5 master are way smaller than ther other 3. one of them I almost killed by drought but the other one is just a bitch. I will def veg 8plants for a 5 bucket room and lose the weakest 3

M

MedicalINFO

I always end up with some runts, This is another reason why I love this system, since there are so few plants to begin with I can start my veg with twice the plants I need, and toss the runts

M

MedicalINFO

Low ceiling

ChromeT,

I'm using an ezdrain 100 gal. res. It was the lowest profile I could find

My bases, and 4" drain are about an inch lower than yours, and I have 8" less ceiling, So I shouldn't really be freaking out over 8 inches?

Didn't D's have 10) 4 footers for his monster pull? I'm pretty much looking at 5 foot plants here,

thanks

M

mrdizzle

remember a 5.5ft plant in a bucket is a like a 6.5ft plant on the ground with a ft of root. dont worry about having a 6fter, the plant grows out more than up

Top Bottom