multi strain ebb and grow question

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I am using a ebb and grow bucket system. I have several different types of strains(Mostly OG types, but some Sativa, and Indica Hybrids) in the system. I have been using Swerve's modified lucas formula(2:1micro:bloom/Calmag at 80% strength for veg).
Will I end up with problems because all the plants will get the same nutes & supplements?
Also using a Lucas formula, modified or not, how are supplements used? What I mean is if I add supplements dont I now need to change the water every week or bi-weekly? Since it isn't just a lucas formula, but a Lucas formula with added supplements...I know people use Lucas with supplements, but I am a little confused by what I am reading, and seeing...
How often do I check PH* levels, and PPM levels?

That PH UP(potassium hydroxide) shit burns!!!dropped some on an open cut I got building a DIY fogger, and damn if that stuff didn't make me tear up...

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Lucas is a good start for multiple strains on one res IMO.

I always pimp this link which is who Lucas based his formula off of. Some good info on that site:

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/profiles.htm

Also using a Lucas formula, modified or not, how are supplements used?

They're not. If you add supplements, you are no longer using the Lucas formula.

What I mean is if I add supplements dont I now need to change the water every week or bi-weekly?

Depends upon which supplement and when it is used. An example would be if you added Kool Bloom in flowering on top of Lucas. You could go the first half of fowering, 1 month, without changing the tub out.

How big is your res, how many res' do you have? If it ain't that big a pain in yer ass, I would do it bi-weekly throughout the plants life cycle.

I remember reading where Lucas said he thought one could run 2-3 cycles on one res with proper add backs. People have. I don't agree with that and think that after one cycle there will be an imbalance in the solution. That is where the change out confusion comes from I think. That plus the two different ways Lucas described for doing top-offs and add-backs.

Change the tub every wee if you want. One thing about Lucas was my impression was he dug doing it on the cheap, meaning GH 3-part and use as little as possible - no changeouts.

How often do I check PH* levels, and PPM levels?

If your grow is in your house, every day. Unless you have issues, it will not change much day to day and after a cycle or two, you won't be checking it everyday as it will be predictable.

Cash croppers running remote growhouses or warehouses check da shit once a week - if that. "Cause that is how often they are around the grow.

If you are running HID in your veg room, forget Lucas for veg. You will get better veg growth using the recipe on the bottle for GH 3 part of 15mL G / 10mL M / 5 mL B. But Lucas works well for managing multiple strains in flower.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Thank you CatJockey..
I have a 50 gallon drum. Watering 42 plants. Under(in 2 weeks) 4 1000watt lights. Right now 30 are under a 400 watt MH(RF218, and a homemade version of same) and 12 are under a T-5(6bulbs/4 6500K 2 5000K) in Waterfarms 2-3plants per farm module....
A list of nutes/sups which I am sure I have to much of
3 part GH(useing mod Lucas..ok in truth 2micro:1Bloom:1CalMag:1/16Grow)
Koolbloom Liquid*, and powder(N)*
Florolisous plus(s)
BCuzz Root(s)
BCuzz Bloom(s)*
BCuzz Flower(s)
Root66(s)
Thrive alive(s)Organic and hydro
CalMag(N)
Hydroplex(s)*
Diamond Nectar(s)
Ginormous(s)*
Big Up(s)*
and I also got Humboldt Nutes Mater A/B...
superthrive(s)
I am not using everything, but admit I am using most of the supplements at 1/2-2/3strength(not the *blooming agents*) or the Master A/B
What can I cut out? what else would help?
PH/PPM/EC every time I check it whether its a day or .30sec it is different(reading from 4.0-7.1PH 880-1250PPM within 2 minutes? EC is stable but since I haven't a clue what it means to my plants I dont know if thats good or bad..I know it is showing the electric conductivity of the sample, but so what?)...I have calibrated the 200dollar F-ing device 20times in 2 weeks...but it always show water at 6.8-7.2 with 240-280ppm which is about right for LA/Granada Hills?

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

A list of nutes/sups which I am sure I have to much of

An endless battle. I go back and forth from streamlining the recipe to buying every damn additive I think might help or I want to try. Right now I am in the buying and testing of additive mode, so I have more bottles 'o shit than I need as well.

I am not using everything, but admit I am using most of the supplements at 1/2-2/3strength(not the *blooming agents*) or the Master A/B
What can I cut out? what else would help?

Lucas would tell you to cut out everything but GH Bloom & Micro and that the plants do not need anything else.

Looks like you have three different base nute lines? GH, B'Cuzz & Humboldt? First thing there is make a selection for one of the three to start with. I am partial to GH of those three only because it is tried, true, tested, stable, easy, etc. and I have the most experience with it.

So, start there. Sounds like you found a Lucas like formula with GH 3part. Run with that or follow the GH 3-Part aggressive veg formula 15G - 10M - 5B. That works well too.

EDIT: Run the same ratio - 3/2/1 but at 2/3 to 3/4 strength since you are under T5's and a 400W and multiple strains. Meaning if you need to add, say, 500 mL of GH Bloom, multiply that 500 by .67 to get 335mL. Also, that aggressive veg formula can be a wee bit much for some strains in ebb & flow, even under a thowie.

And then the additives ... Take the long term view. Take a look at all the grows on the web that are sweet and are not using all kinds of additives. You are having pH ppm issues:

PH/PPM/EC every time I check it whether its a day or .30sec it is different(reading from 4.0-7.1PH 880-1250PPM within 2 minutes?

You have organics in there. That makes it tough to read ppm accurately, and is probably why your ppm readings are all over the place. The pH swing shouldn't happen, in my experience, from organics like the ppm. If it is wildly jumping around I am inclined to think you are growing something other than marijuana in your garden. You have some little microbial fuckers in your res you are feeding with nutes and they are f'ing up your pH, having sex and making more little fuckers to, eating, shitting, etc.

My best, most honest advice is this: Skip additives this run. Change out your res, use GH 3 part and look into some things like H202 to kill whatever else you are growing in your res right now. You have that modified Lucas, use it and know that quality growers have pulled gram/watt with Lucas alone.

Focus first on growing marijuana before you expand your agricultural responsibilities to ranching microbial life forms and dead organic matter in your res.

Do that and you should see stable readings and you will get the flow of it all. Then, next run, start playing with all of those additives. Dial in your room environment this run as well, if it isn't already. I think a lot of growers underestimate the importance of the environment.

After the environment is dialed in, you can really experiment with additives and see what works and what is a waste of money.

but it always show water at 6.8-7.2 with 240-280ppm which is about right for LA/Granada Hills?

As a dude living at 10,000' Colorado on a well in, I ain't got a f'ing clue brutha. But that sounds right. Meaning that both the pH and ppm are in ranges I would expect out of the average tap.

Makes me think your meter works.

Top Bottom