Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well... a bit fof a fuzzy morning after lol
The wife and I prepped the grain last night, decided to make an event out of it since it was Saturday night! lol, grabbed a dozen beer, listened to some classic full albums and got our pressure can on. Gotta say, I dont know what i was ever worried about. The canner worked perfectly, came up to pressure in about 20-30 min, then we let it cook for a full 2 hrs at 15psi while we played crib. Was seriously no big deal not having a pressure guage, im really not even sure why you would need one.. Once i hit 15psi, i just turned it down to halfway and let ot rip. Thankfully my wife had ZERO concerns about the pressure canner blowing up lol, so that made the whole thing a lot more low key.

When it was done we felt inspired to eat pretty much my entire remaining stash of Libs lol... Almost 2 grams each. Which some of you might know is one hell of a dose for Libs. And oh man..lol i had a great trip but i think the wife didnt as much. She spent an hour or so barfing, and at one point i found her trying to sleep next to the toilet using a roll of toilet paper as a pillow 🤣
Good times..

Feeling the afterglow pretty good today..

And Today is the day! Need to cut some holes in my SAB... But first.. breakfast.

beluga

beluga

Yes man! You grow in liquid nutrient too huh?
I was watching a video of a dude making syringes by multiplying mycellia from agar in a liquid nutrient on a stirplate. Then i looked over at my stirplate sitting on the piano that I havent used in a couple years lol...
Yes indeed!
These are Liquid Inoculants... so about 1 or 2% LME and water.
Take a small tissue transfer, throw it in sterilized juice, throw it on a stir plate, you get something like this in about a week
20200307-130658.gif

It's the best way to really do large scale production.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yes indeed!
These are Liquid Inoculants... so about 1 or 2% LME and water.
Take a small tissue transfer, throw it in sterilized juice, throw it on a stir plate, you get something like this in about a week
20200307-130658.gif

It's the best way to really do large scale production.

Thats super cool. The deeper i get into this the more crossover i see with yeast ranching. The methodology and focus on a clean work environment and sterile equipment is very similar.

beluga

beluga

For sure.
That's why I'm a weirdo an insist on calling it cell culturing rather than the colloquial 'agar work'. It's very much an interdisciplinary practice and I think it simplifies it if you look at it as such.

Oh, P.S. - I mislabeled Liquid Inoculant in my post above. What I described and have there is a Liquid Culture.
Liquid Inoculants are basically just a blended up colonized agar puck.
(Leaf-blowing thoughts...🤦‍♂️)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So i put everything in the SAB. Just waiting now.. I noticed that the fae tyvek seems a bit damp after removing the foil? Is that ok?

Feel like maybe im overthinking this a bit.

Also some of my silicone stuck to the tinfoil... lol, but i think the filters are still ok.

beluga

beluga

Hmm. Might be an issue if it's damp. If there was just a little pooling on top, that's no big deal.

Was your foil submerged in the water by any chance? Even just a little can create a vacuum straw sort of deal.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hmm. Might be an issue if it's damp. If there was just a little pooling on top, that's no big deal.

Was your foil submerged in the water by any chance? Even just a little can create a vacuum straw sort of deal.
Nah, the foil was a good 2-3 inches above the water level.

It doesnt seem super wet, just damp. Im not sure how it could possibly be pressure cooked without getting a little damp on top.

beluga

beluga

Ideally the materials used are hydrophobic. The kite tyvek I've used in the past pooled and this PTFE filter pools. I may recall a slight saturation with the kite tyvek... it's been a while.

Keep a grain jar uninoculated as a control. Then if you find all your shit is contaminated, you'll have a better idea as to where in the process it happened. If that control jar is uncontaminated, then it was something else.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ideally the materials used are hydrophobic. The kite tyvek I've used in the past pooled and this PTFE filter pools. I may recall a slight saturation with the kite tyvek... it's been a while.

Keep a grain jar uninoculated as a control. Then if you find all your shit is contaminated, you'll have a better idea as to where in the process it happened. If that control jar is uncontaminated, then it was something else.
Too late.. Theyre all dosed now. lol.

Ill admit i feel like something wasnt right. Maybe just beginners nerves.. Had to sterilize my blade twice because i bumped the side of the sab with it. Wet looking filters.
I dont know.. but im not feeling super good about this.

I guess ill find out in a couple weeks.
20201122 140521

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks man. If it doesnt work out ill try again. I feel like i nailed the grain hydration at least lol.
And who knows it could be fine.
As a backup got a slice into fresh agar to make another plate. Hopefully lol. Also dropped a bit of the peurto rico on a plate too.

Well.. fingers are now crossed.

I can see a laminar flow hood in my future.. gotta say. I dont much enjoy working in the sab.

beluga

beluga

Yeah... if I start doing edibles, I'll probably finally justify a flow hood.
Also now that I'm not in a rented space.
Also now that I'm getting into electronics both as a necessity as a homeowner and as a tinkerer.

My house is a bit of a mushroom kingdom and being in an office all day really kicks my purpose in life straight in the nuts... so, I'll probably try to wean my way into selling oysters and shiitakes. Tons of hipster cafes and taprooms around here... shouldn't be too hard.

Your SAB looks a little on the small side, what capacity is it?
I think the one I've got is 116qt. Not too tall, but plenty roomy.

beluga

beluga

20201122 183210

In the lineup, left to right...
- Colombian Rust Spore (red spore mutant... from Colombia) in the syringe.
- ESS/PBR (of Koh Samui/PE lineage) is the plate to the right of the syringe.. it's way overgrown and sporulated and condensated... gonna try to bring it back to life.
- Leucistic Golden Teacher (non-pigmented mutation... not to be confused with albinism) in the little foil twig (swab).

😃 (I'm fucking excited!!)

beluga

beluga

20201122 213823

Uggghhh...

Yeah, I'm hooked again.

I was shaky, too (you'll see video soon.) Might have been the 30oz of coffee. Might have been just out-of-practice... whatevs.

🍄😍🍄😍

Latest posts

Top Bottom